Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCS to FairChild - questions and what to expect!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Thumbs Up PCS to FairChild - questions and what to expect!

Advertisements
    My family in the nearish future will be PCSing to Fairchild AFB in Washington. However, I know absolutely nothing about the northwest.
    I have so many questions, and am hoping to have some positive feed back, this is our second pcs but the first one we have involving children, we are leaving Vandenberg AFB so any and all help is appreciated, below I will list some specific questions otherwise I am all open to all opinions and details with living in Spokane Washington.

What is weather like, on an average, snow, wet, hot, cold ect..

Culture and people, polite, rude, ect..

Is it young couple friendly? Vandenberg is a very 60+ not a whole lot of young family activity here.

what is there to do, out side of being a tourist?

Also is food options vast or limited?

Do animals have any special rules when living off base?

what is base living like?

How is cost of living? expensive or relativity cheap. Please know I ask because California is expensive.

Thanks so much for any and all help!
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

My husband is from Spokane so while we've never been stationed there, I've been on the base and have some level of Spokane knowledge.

It's a beautiful area if you like the outdoors. I would say they have the typical four seasons. It is not rainy like Seattle. The people can be friendly but I also know some who don't like newcomers (mainly just my brother in law ). Cost of living is pretty low. It is a smaller city than I'm used to (from Detroit, living in Phoenix) but it is decent sized with an okay/decent food range in shopping and eating out. It is also near Coeur d'alene which is lovely. Lakes, mountains, hiking.

I'm not sure on pets or on/off base living. The base is on the west side of town and kind of considered the boonies but it is such a small area that if you're used to a bigger city environment then nothing will really seem that far.

If DH's family wasn't a little nutty we would love to live there because of the climate and beauty.
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

response

Thanks so much. My husband is from southwest Washington, so I have no idea what to expect but I am from a small town in Louisiana so I am hopefully this may ease some of my home sickness. As for nutty inlaws i understand that as well and i am hoping the 6 hours is enough to keep the madness at bay