Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lacey, WA Apartments

1. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaAniwaya View Post
    Yeah I know AC can be a rare find. It's entirely ridiculous to me but whatever. WA people are just weird.
    How much did the portable AC unit cost, if I may ask?

And I'd consider living near the Spanaway/Federal Way area but the traffic around 127 is always SOOOO so bad after work!!! I couldn't imagine driving in that.

Im not sure where that is? We take the back gate out of McChord and go that way to to Military Rd/Pac ave. DH has never had any issues with traffic. The A/C, we got off of Craigslist, brand new i think, and it was 300? It's always better to get one in the winter though when they're low. If you wait til the summer, the prices soar and they fly off the shelves as soon as the really hot days come around.

Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    No kidding! I bet! He actually has been looking at houses for rent over by where Jamie lives and has been considering moving off base if he doesn't get PCS orders before the year is out.

I didn't see the part about AC in the OP either. It's rare to find a place here with it. I don't get why either because yeah sure it doesn't get over 100 like it does other places but the summer here can (and does) get pretty hot! Our house doesn't have AC. During this past summer the kids and I slept downstairs in the living room with the windows open because it was a literal Hell upstairs.
    DOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

My kids are acclimated i think They sleep with a fan in their rooms upstairs
  2. Senior Member

No kidding! I bet! He actually has been looking at houses for rent over by where Jamie lives and has been considering moving off base if he doesn't get PCS orders before the year is out.

I didn't see the part about AC in the OP either. It's rare to find a place here with it. I don't get why either because yeah sure it doesn't get over 100 like it does other places but the summer here can (and does) get pretty hot! Our house doesn't have AC. During this past summer the kids and I slept downstairs in the living room with the windows open because it was a literal Hell upstairs.
    That's awful I just don't get it either! People say "oh well it's only hot a few months of the year here." No SHIT! It's called summer! That's how it is a lot of places in the north. It still gets hot and people still need AC.

Why are you considering moving off base?

Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    Im not sure where that is? We take the back gate out of McChord and go that way to to Military Rd/Pac ave. DH has never had any issues with traffic. The A/C, we got off of Craigslist, brand new i think, and it was 300? It's always better to get one in the winter though when they're low. If you wait til the summer, the prices soar and they fly off the shelves as soon as the really hot days come around.

Off I-5? It's the exit to get onto 512. Always horribly backed up. Also I would almost definitely buy one in the winter! People sky rocket the prices and they disappear too fast. I suppose when we get a place when he gets back, since it will be summer, we'll just have to suffer a bit if it is too hot lol.
    Deployment #1: Over!

DB: feck fuck fack Me: What? DB: I can't believe I love you so damn much

Extended separation #2: Over!
  3. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    DH grew up in Tenino which is like 15 miles from Lacey and he said he liked the area! Tenino is like 35 miles from Lewis though so I doubt you guys would want to drive that far, plus it is a tiny little town I don't really have anything substantial to contribute because I don't know the area that well but we visited Lacey a few years back and it wasn't so bad!
    We lived in Rainier (45 minute drive) and Tenino was 15 minutes south of there. Very pretty out that way, but it is a long drive.

Yeah I know AC can be a rare find. It's entirely ridiculous to me but whatever. WA people are just weird.
    How much did the portable AC unit cost, if I may ask?

And I'd consider living near the Spanaway/Federal Way area but the traffic around 127 is always SOOOO so bad after work!!! I couldn't imagine driving in that.
    We never got on the interstate unless it was vital when we lived in Puyallup. We went down 176th straight across, and our house backed up to it. 512 and I-5 were always a nightmare. And I took the 405 all the way to Seattle. I was about 10 minutes from Airmansweetie also.
  4. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

We'll see!!

Yeah their rooms don't have fans and we don't have any box fans but we're going to be getting some to put in their window so they can sleep in their rooms this coming summer. I'd also like to get a window unit for our room and for downstairs in the living room because I am not going to melt again this summer. I refuse. I get so irritable.

That's awful I just don't get it either! People say "oh well it's only hot a few months of the year here." No SHIT! It's called summer! That's how it is a lot of places in the north. It still gets hot and people still need AC.

Haha, right?!

He doesn't feel like he's getting enough for the money he pays in BAH and said if he makes rank then we're definitely moving off base. Also now with the renters insurance thing that's going on... he's over the housing office.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  5. Senior Member
    we just moved in december. we lived in lacey, off exit 109, my husband took the back roads to work. before that we lived off exit 104, he didn't mind the drive to work so much, but traffic is brutal most days anyways. but his drive to work from our last house off college street off 109, his drive to work was usually 20-30 mins depending on traffic.

the a/c thing.... yeah, its awful. last summer it was seriously miserable. we tried all the tricks, opening windows at night and shutting them and curtains before the sun comes up.. ice in front of fans.... tons and tons of fans... nope. finally my husband caved and had to buy us 2 portable a/c's (which we found at a warehouse as all the stores were sold out). i can't believe the houses don't have a/cs... the two summers i spent there, were both very warm.. too warm to not have air in my honest opinion... we had to take drives to cool off sometimes, it was just baking in the house. couldn't even cook sometimes because the oven/stove would make it worse.

6. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Omg it is so weird seeing that MSOS people lived in my hometown

OP, 512 isn't so bad if you're going south in the morning and north in the evening.

Have you considered Tumwater at all? Yelm might not be so bad depending on where you work on post, too. Except you'd be looking more at a rental house in Yelm - I probably wouldn't want to live in any apartments there.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Off I-5? It's the exit to get onto 512. Always horribly backed up. Also I would almost definitely buy one in the winter! People sky rocket the prices and they disappear too fast. I suppose when we get a place when he gets back, since it will be summer, we'll just have to suffer a bit if it is too hot lol.
    Oh, we don't take I-5

We'll see!!

Yeah their rooms don't have fans and we don't have any box fans but we're going to be getting some to put in their window so they can sleep in their rooms this coming summer. I'd also like to get a window unit for our room and for downstairs in the living room because I am not going to melt again this summer. I refuse. I get so irritable.

Haha, right?!

He doesn't feel like he's getting enough for the money he pays in BAH and said if he makes rank then we're definitely moving off base. Also now with the renters insurance thing that's going on... he's over the housing office.

We don't have the box fans, just regular ones.. medium sized i guess? Their windows don't open far enough for box fans tos it in them bc we bolted them at the top so they only open a certain length- for safety reasons

ETA- we had originally bought the a/c unit for downstairs but its kind of open so it just wasnt big enough to cool off anything down there so now its in our room
  8. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    There was always window units at the Thrift store on McChord for $50ish. Even in the hottest summer months they had 2-3.
  9. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    There was always window units at the Thrift store on McChord for $50ish. Even in the hottest summer months they had 2-3.
    BUT the question IS- does base housing ALLOW window units?

Guess Jaime needs to move
  10. Senior Member

We lived in Rainier (45 minute drive) and Tenino was 15 minutes south of there. Very pretty out that way, but it is a long drive.

We never got on the interstate unless it was vital when we lived in Puyallup. We went down 176th straight across, and our house backed up to it. 512 and I-5 were always a nightmare. And I took the 405 all the way to Seattle. I was about 10 minutes from Airmansweetie also.
    45 minutes regularly is definitely too far But if we stay in WA after we are both out it might be a consideration. Hm. I suppose if we could avoid I-5 and 512 to get to post it wouldn't completely take Puyallup/Federal Way/Spanaway/etc off the list.

We'll see!!

Haha, right?!

Ahh yeah that makes sense. I'd probably want to move then too!

Quote Originally Posted by amandabcdefg View Post
    we just moved in december. we lived in lacey, off exit 109, my husband took the back roads to work. before that we lived off exit 104, he didn't mind the drive to work so much, but traffic is brutal most days anyways. but his drive to work from our last house off college street off 109, his drive to work was usually 20-30 mins depending on traffic.

the a/c thing.... yeah, its awful. last summer it was seriously miserable. we tried all the tricks, opening windows at night and shutting them and curtains before the sun comes up.. ice in front of fans.... tons and tons of fans... nope. finally my husband caved and had to buy us 2 portable a/c's (which we found at a warehouse as all the stores were sold out). i can't believe the houses don't have a/cs... the two summers i spent there, were both very warm.. too warm to not have air in my honest opinion... we had to take drives to cool off sometimes, it was just baking in the house. couldn't even cook sometimes because the oven/stove would make it worse.
    Yeah like I told germy, it makes no sense not to have AC. Definitely hot enough for it here. And 20-30 isn't bad for that far.. Was it much longer off 104?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    Omg it is so weird seeing that MSOS people lived in my hometown

OP, 512 isn't so bad if you're going south in the morning and north in the evening.

Have you considered Tumwater at all? Yelm might not be so bad depending on where you work on post, too. Except you'd be looking more at a rental house in Yelm - I probably wouldn't want to live in any apartments there.
    I don't know about 512 itself but the exit off I-5 to get onto 512 is always horribly backed up. That's my major concern.

And no, I have not considered Tumwater. I know the name but whereabout is it? And we definitely don't want a house, an apartment is all we need.

Oh, we don't take I-5

We don't have the box fans, just regular ones.. medium sized i guess? Their windows don't open far enough for box fans tos it in them bc we bolted them at the top so they only open a certain length- for safety reasons

ETA- we had originally bought the a/c unit for downstairs but its kind of open so it just wasnt big enough to cool off anything down there so now its in our room
    Ahh, okay. I always use I-5 to get anywhere.

Where is the thrift store at on McChord? I only know where the one is on Lewis. Thanks for the info we'll have to check for some!

BUT the question IS- does base housing ALLOW window units?

Guess Jaime needs to move
    I know we can't have them in the barracks because we aren't allowed to take out the screens but, that's the barracks and the Army side so who knows.

People do it anyway though.
    Deployment #1: Over!

DB: feck fuck fack Me: What? DB: I can't believe I love you so damn much

Extended separation #2: Over!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast