Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBLM?

1. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Advertisements
    How close do you want?? How nice do you want?? What type of area you looking for (rural, suburb, city)?? Do you want to be close to certain things (certain stores, outdoor activites, malls, night life?? You can go 40 miles in either direction of Fort Lewis and get a different experiance each way.
  2. Preparing for Deployment #2
    Preparing for Deployment #2
    He currently has a house in Lacey but rented it out before he deployed... I don't know much about the area at all, would like something near shopping, like marshalls, tj maxx... And some fun nightlife... I know he wants to be near the water. I am congrats out when he gets back to look at diff areas and just trying to get a head start... I've been looking at Yelm, DuPont and Spanaway...
  3. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Yelm is very close to where I live now. It is very rural. You are 25-45 minutes from post depeding on where he works. There is very few shops and you are 45 minutes from lacey, Olympia, Tacoma where the shopping would be. It is a very nice town for a hometown feel though. The housing is reasonbly priced and crime is very low.
    Dupont is near the post. It is near I-5. It is not big in itself but not far from the bigger cities. The housing is very nice, but very overpriced since it is right by the gates. You are by Steilacoom which has a beautiful beach that we love going to.
    Spanaway is near where I used to live in South Hill/Puyallup. There is good and bad there. The southern tip is your best bet. You are not near shopping but not far either really. South Hill is right up the road and everything you will need is there on Meridian Ave. The closer to Tacoma/Parkland you get in the Spanaway area the worse the housing and crime gets. Very rough neighborhoods. You can get to post with out ever getting on I-5. And I recomend learning your way around without getting on I-5. You can also get all the way up to Seattle on the 405 which is nice.

Puyallup/South Hill is really nice. We loved it there.
  4. Preparing for Deployment #2
    Thank you... It's hard looking from the east coast... Plus I have limited contact with DB.... I've been looking on Zillow and will look in those areas....glad to hear about the beach. I'm a bit nervous yet excited coming from the Carolina's with all of our sun and beaches to the west coast...it will be a great adventure I'm sure...��
  5. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    It isnt Ocean beach. It is an inlet. Nothing is near the ocean. You have to drive 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get to the Ocean. But still nice. There is also a beach on North Fort at American Lake that is nice.
  6. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    And also the water never gets warm. Even in the dead of summer the water is chilly and the wind is strong.
  7. Senior Member
    yeah, the "beaches" here are nothing like the east coast beaches. we even drove out to the coast last year and it was nice, but not what either of us are used to (I'm from massachusetts and he's from nc). i found the house we're in when i was still in boston, it definitely sucks to look from so far away. google things in the area when you find a house you like, see how far it is from stores and from post. we have plenty of stores around and there is a mall in olympia and in tacoma.

8. Preparing for Deployment #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilbear911 View Post
    I'm here!! Living in Spanaway though. I haven't met anyone yet, but would love too! (Especially since DH leaves soon....)
    Quote Originally Posted by amandabcdefg View Post
    yeah, the "beaches" here are nothing like the east coast beaches. we even drove out to the coast last year and it was nice, but not what either of us are used to (I'm from massachusetts and he's from nc). i found the house we're in when i was still in boston, it definitely sucks to look from so far away. google things in the area when you find a house you like, see how far it is from stores and from post. we have plenty of stores around and there is a mall in olympia and in tacoma.
    Oh yikes!!! I must admit we are spoiled with great beaches....I will for sure google... I haven't gotten that far and DB is not a lot of help bc our contact is so limited... He just keeps saying I need to see the area, but I'm a planner so that fly by the seat thin doesn't work... Lol where in NC?
  9. Preparing for Deployment #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    And also the water never gets warm. Even in the dead of summer the water is chilly and the wind is strong.
    Oh gotcha.... As long as there is some sort of beach I'm good... Plus I heard there are some great vineyards in the area..
  10. Senior Member
    i personally didn't wanna spend the money on a flight and hotel out here so i just winged it. i always ask the property manager of the place we're renting to take a video tour for me, if they aren't compromising then i won't rent that house. this may sound stupid, but i also do google map street view to "drive" around the area like that lol maybe i'm a weirdo, but its worked out for me every time. its funny to see street names and things i see on street view in real life when i actually get here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast