Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whidbey Island, WA Questions

1. Senior Member

Whidbey Island, WA Questions

Advertisements
    I checked out the other thread about Whidbey, but have some more questions than what was answered in that one.

What's the area like for outdoor activities? DH and I love spending time outdoors--hiking, biking, kayaking, etc.

How family friendly is it? We have an almost 20 month old, who goes stir crazy after spending just one day at home. Virginia Beach has been awesome in this aspect with all of the museums, the zoo, aquarium, parks, etc.

What is the cost of living like?

Any things that are a must see, must do, etc.? We love creating "duty station bucket lists" before getting some place to help get us excited--though, Whidbey has been our dream location since we met, so we don't need much convincing to go but it'd still be nice to have some things listed already.

Do you know what the churches are like?

TIA!!
  2. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I'm not too far from that place, i dont think but ive never been there, but in general, WA weather from Sept to May is usually rainy There are tons of things to do here in WA and most are child friendly We went to Mt Rainier with all 3 kids in March and 2/3 enjoyed it! In the summer, it gets hot, doesnt rain too much, and there are some nice lakes and beaches you can go to. The cost of living IS higher in WA, so that's a sucky part

Locations to check out would be Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, i've heard the Port Angeles area is really nice and there are some nice beaches there and along the coast... and there's also some places in oregon you can drive to and check out. Umm... there's more but im drawing a blank now
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I was born and raised in WA and it is a good area for families. Despite the rain, you will be in good distance to many fun activities. The outdoors here are beautiful! Everything is green because of all the rain. There are 3 zoo's in the area and they are all great. Lots of hiking, check out Mt. Si, Mt. Rainier, Tiger Mtn., Ape Caves, Denny Creek Falls, Snoqualmie Falls, Rattlesnake Ledge, etc. You can take your kid on Denny Creek Falls, it is beautiful & short/easy. 1.5m till the first waterfall. There is also tons of Kayaking for all levels of experience. You can have a city day in Seattle and do family friendly things like the Ferris Wheel on the Waterfront, the Aquarium, the Duck tour (land/water tour of Seattle on a boat shaped like a duck lol), check out the underground Seattle and Pikes Place too. Great schools in the area as well. I am sure you will like it. Overall, it is a great mix of urban and outdoors!
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks ladies!
  5. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

If you have more specific questions feel free to PM me
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Big 4 ice caves in Granite Falls is gorgeous. I loved it in Washington. Whidbey is very family friendly. Fort Nugent park is a great playground and so is city beach. Deception Pass has some great hiking trails and the views are breathtaking.
  7. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    The island itself does not have a lot of activities as far as museums, etc so you have to be willing to travel. You are a short drive to Victoria BC, Mt. St Helens, Mt. Baker, Columbia River Gorge, the WA and Oregon Coast, Leavenworth (a beautiful German town in WA) etc. Seattle has all the cultural activities you could want. You can hop a ferry to Port Townsend and explore some of the parks over there. Deception pass is wonderful. Coupeville is very nice for a day to walk around. Anacortes is another quait town. Oak Harbor has a couple parks and a quaint old part of town where you can walk around a bit. They have a small "fair" that happens each year.

Cost of living is low if you stay on island. It starts adding up when you drive off the island all the time.

I retired out of there and was recently back on island to buy a house. We will retire there once my husband finshes with the Navy.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh and Fort Casey is a great area to explore
  9. Regular Member
    Hey, I'm from the VA beach area and now live in WA, too! I've been in Silverdale for the past 6 months and I think it's great here, especially for outdoorsy people. It really is beautiful and it's crazy to me how much friendlier people are here than in Hampton Roads. I feel like the cost of living is a bit higher than VA Beach and the taxes are definitely higher, but it's not that huge of a difference. The only thing I dislike is the amount of rain, but there are some nice sunny days too.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efiwyvaN View Post
    I checked out the other thread about Whidbey, but have some more questions than what was answered in that one.

What's the area like for outdoor activities? DH and I love spending time outdoors--hiking, biking, kayaking, etc.

How family friendly is it? We have an almost 20 month old, who goes stir crazy after spending just one day at home. Virginia Beach has been awesome in this aspect with all of the museums, the zoo, aquarium, parks, etc.

What is the cost of living like?

Any things that are a must see, must do, etc.? We love creating "duty station bucket lists" before getting some place to help get us excited--though, Whidbey has been our dream location since we met, so we don't need much convincing to go but it'd still be nice to have some things listed already.

Do you know what the churches are like?

TIA!!
    We just got orders to Whidbey! Hope to make some friends
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast