Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whidbey Island, WA

1. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Advertisements
    I just bought a house up there. I was stationed there for 5 years....it's where I retired.

Jobs are hard to find. It's beautiful. Small community. You have military housing (some new some old), the NEX, Commissary, a nice gym. If you are into Yoga I can recommend a great yoga lady. The old part of Oak Harbor was just re-done and it's pretty cool to walk along. There's more than their fair share of rain.

The housing market isn't TOO bad right now but with some squadrons moving in....that's gonna change fast.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaRocks View Post
    I just bought a house up there. I was stationed there for 5 years....it's where I retired.

Jobs are hard to find. It's beautiful. Small community. You have military housing (some new some old), the NEX, Commissary, a nice gym. If you are into Yoga I can recommend a great yoga lady. The old part of Oak Harbor was just re-done and it's pretty cool to walk along. There's more than their fair share of rain.

The housing market isn't TOO bad right now but with some squadrons moving in....that's gonna change fast.
    I love yoga, though I haven't done it in ages. Oak Harbor seems like the place to be as far as Whidbey. I guess I'm willing to go either way, as far as living off base, or in PPV housing.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    All I know is my best friend here just came from there and she fell in love with it!!! Also you'll be in coffee heaven we visit wa a lot because the inlaws live there and I overload on coffee every time
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    It's freakin' beautiful! It's going to be much more small town than you're used to, and yes, it is gray and rains a lot more up there, but it really is beautiful. The summers are amazing. In April it'll be rainy when you get there, but it'll be starting to get nicer.

I'm so jealous!!!
    I thought you might be. Wanna trade?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    All I know is my best friend here just came from there and she fell in love with it!!! Also you'll be in coffee heaven we visit wa a lot because the inlaws live there and I overload on coffee every time

THAT is a definite plus! Haha. As long as there are drive-thrus. San Diego had like ZERO drive thru Starbucks near me. I finally found a Mom N Pop coffee hut with a drive-thru, and it was awesome.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    THAT is a definite plus! Haha. As long as there are drive-thrus. San Diego had like ZERO drive thru Starbucks near me. I finally found a Mom N Pop coffee hut with a drive-thru, and it was awesome.
    They have the most amazing drive through espresso stands!! You need to try a yogaccino it's like a frappuccino only way better!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    They have the most amazing drive through espresso stands!! You need to try a yogaccino it's like a frappuccino only way better!
    - *I* am not a coffee drinker, but it's funny to me when our families (we are from the PNW) come to visit out here and want to "go get coffee" -- we do not have a coffee shack on every street corner here.
    DH was at Whidbey for three years right before we met and loved it. That area is "home" to me, so it would be right up my alley if we were to go back.
  8. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I thought you might be. Wanna trade?
    Yes please!!! LOL I will admit that I know if we do move back, it'll be hard to get used to the climate again, but there really is so much to love about the area. Try your best to go into it with an open mind.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    Yes please!!! LOL I will admit that I know if we do move back, it'll be hard to get used to the climate again, but there really is so much to love about the area. Try your best to go into it with an open mind.
    Oh, I have no doubt about that. It's entirely different from SD. I'm going to have to start building up a Winter wardrobe this year, because I have nothing appropriate for their weather.
  10. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Hi! I won't be too far from you Yep the SB's have drive thrus.. not all of them but most of them and theres coffee shops EVERYWHERE, from SB to little shops on every other street it seems like
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast