Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Looking for feedback on Steilacoom

1. Regular Member

Looking for feedback on Steilacoom

Advertisements
    DH and I will be moving to WA soon and I've been doing some apartment hunting (online) and I think were looking at either Lacey or Steilacoom. I've read wonderful things about Lacey but not much on Steilacoom. DH will be at McChord so I worry about traffic from Lacey. Steilacoom is much closer but I just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks in advance!
  2. Regular Member
    Honestly, Lacey seems really far and there areas closer to base that are just as amazing IMO. I lived in Tacoma and university place for 3 years, and COMPLETELY fell in love with university place and the steilacoom area. As far as a commute my at the time NEVER complained about it, but he never had to take the freeway either. Anyways, point is I'd totally recommend steilacoom/up area, and spanaway/pullyualup as well although they're more busy.

Also, if you have any ? on local places to eat, things to see, where to fix your car, ect let me know! I could go off all day about the amazingness of the Tacoma area (:
    Last edited by AndreaCarol; 06-06-2014 at 12:38 AM.
  3. I like my beats fast and my bass down low
    I like my beats fast and my bass down low
    Both Lacey & Steilacoom have nice points. Steilacoom is definitely a lot closer to McChord so traffic would be mainly on the streets and not the freeway, but is older and borders some not so nice areas (IMO). Lacey is newer for the most part but traffic can be a b!tch...we live on base and my daughter takes gymnastics in Lacey, which is just under 10 miles from home and it can sometimes take us 25-30 minutes, and that's before the afterwork rush as we leave at 3:30ish. University Place is nice too not sure if you're familiar with the RPP program offered at JBLM but when we first moved here we participated and didn't have to put a deposit down plus got $100 off our monthly rent.

Good luck & Happy hunting!
  4. Regular Member
    Thanks for the replies! We found a great place in a quiet part of Lacey, think it might be "the one!" I'd be more than happy to hear any recommendations on favorite restaurants!
  5. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I'ev not been to that area but a lot of people live in the Lacey/Olympia area's and it's often recommended! We chose Spanaway though