Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Housing advice around JBLM area please!!

1. Senior Member

Help Housing advice around JBLM area please!!

Advertisements
    Hi all!

I will be making to move up to WA beginning of June to finally be with DB who is currently deployed and due back late summer. I will be heading out to Washington at the start of March to check out neighborhoods/network with potential employers. I've been slacking on MSOS lately but am back now and wanted to ask a few questions! I'm on the hunt for a 3 bedroom/2 bath home sooooo here we go......

-Where do you currently live around JBLM?
    -How did you go about finding your place? (I've considered trying to meet up with a real estate agent while out there instead of just looking online)
    -Any areas to avoid?

We have spoke about the Puyallup area since I-5 is always such a wreck with traffic. We are thinking north of post because chances are I will have the best luck finding a job closer to Tacoma.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  2. Senior Member
    Personally I would look for a place in the Dupont, Lakewood, Lacey, Olympia area even Tumwater would work in some areas. I think you will find better rental prices and Tacoma and Puyallup while having nice areas, can tend toward higher costs and more areas to be careful when renting.

I usually prefer an individual over an agency but have used both through the years.

The traffic is generally only bad in spots like JBLM and City Center/ Tacoma Dome area. Otherwise it flows rather well even in rush hour. So any of those areas would be fine to live in that I mentioned.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    Personally I would look for a place in the Dupont, Lakewood, Lacey, Olympia area even Tumwater would work in some areas. I think you will find better rental prices and Tacoma and Puyallup while having nice areas, can tend toward higher costs and more areas to be careful when renting.

I usually prefer an individual over an agency but have used both through the years.

The traffic is generally only bad in spots like JBLM and City Center/ Tacoma Dome area. Otherwise it flows rather well even in rush hour. So any of those areas would be fine to live in that I mentioned.
    Thank you so much for the input! Definitely gives me something to think about.
  4. Senior Member
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We live in Lacey/Olympia. I love it here, it's really not as far as people seem to make it and we're close to everything we need store wise. It's also super quiet even though we're close to a busier shopping area.
    I personally wouldn't ever live right north of base, but there are some nicer parts a ways up. Puyallup has some nice areas too, but the main stretch can be a mess in the winter if it gets icy/snowy. Meridian I think, our friends had to park at the base and walk up with their child because you couldn't drive it a couple years ago.

Also, Puyallup doesn't help you avoid I5 unless you're closer to Spanaway. 512 actually gets SUPER backed up during rush hour, and you're dealing with both highways.

Dupont is beautiful if you can afford it, it's right next to base so you can avoid most traffic as well.
  6. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

We are in Spanaway and love it!! We don't really deal with the traffic and we dont have to take I5 to get to base We ended up buying a super nice house for a great price over here. We also liked Federal Way!
  7. Regular Member
    I've noticed on other posts that alot of people tend to discourage from renting in the Tacoma or Lakewood area. I live in Tacoma and I am actually from here as well. There are actually lots of good neighborhoods in the area. If you stick to North or West Tacoma or University Place which is a city located between Tacoma and Lakewood. And the Gravelly Lake area of Lakewood is also nice. I agree that if you plan to commute that Puyallup may not be the best option, the traffic on 512 during rush hour is some of the worst traffic I've experienced. Lacey/DuPont/Olympia/Tumwater area has nice neighborhoods as well. I am not sure what kind of work you'll be looking for but I agree that there tend to be more jobs up north and the closer to Seattle you get the higher the pay.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OctoFranky. View Post
    We live in Lacey/Olympia. I love it here, it's really not as far as people seem to make it and we're close to everything we need store wise. It's also super quiet even though we're close to a busier shopping area.
    I personally wouldn't ever live right north of base, but there are some nicer parts a ways up. Puyallup has some nice areas too, but the main stretch can be a mess in the winter if it gets icy/snowy. Meridian I think, our friends had to park at the base and walk up with their child because you couldn't drive it a couple years ago.

Also, Puyallup doesn't help you avoid I5 unless you're closer to Spanaway. 512 actually gets SUPER backed up during rush hour, and you're dealing with both highways.

Dupont is beautiful if you can afford it, it's right next to base so you can avoid most traffic as well.
    Before DB deployed he was living in Lacey right off of exit 114. Definitely a great area and very convenient! Thank you for the heads up about 512, once I make it out there this weekend I'm planning on testing out the commute during rush hour on Monday to see if it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    We are in Spanaway and love it!! We don't really deal with the traffic and we dont have to take I5 to get to base We ended up buying a super nice house for a great price over here. We also liked Federal Way!
    Spanaway seems to have some great places at very reasonable prices! I've heard there is access to the back gate which will definitely be a pro for DB. After looking on google maps, arent there a few airports right around spanaway? Just curious if that becomes bothersome with the noise!

Quote Originally Posted by zeetea View Post
    I've noticed on other posts that alot of people tend to discourage from renting in the Tacoma or Lakewood area. I live in Tacoma and I am actually from here as well. There are actually lots of good neighborhoods in the area. If you stick to North or West Tacoma or University Place which is a city located between Tacoma and Lakewood. And the Gravelly Lake area of Lakewood is also nice. I agree that if you plan to commute that Puyallup may not be the best option, the traffic on 512 during rush hour is some of the worst traffic I've experienced. Lacey/DuPont/Olympia/Tumwater area has nice neighborhoods as well. I am not sure what kind of work you'll be looking for but I agree that there tend to be more jobs up north and the closer to Seattle you get the higher the pay.
    Thank you for the advice! I will definitely check more into Tacoma when I am out there in a few days. I feel like there are nice parts to every city the hard part is just finding them! I have a few interviews right downtown Tacoma with a few recruiting firms and for HR positions. Thank you for all of the advice! I will definitely be keeping my options open and take into account traffic.
  9. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by lyssalou View Post
    Before DB deployed he was living in Lacey right off of exit 114. Definitely a great area and very convenient! Thank you for the heads up about 512, once I make it out there this weekend I'm planning on testing out the commute during rush hour on Monday to see if it's worth it.

Spanaway seems to have some great places at very reasonable prices! I've heard there is access to the back gate which will definitely be a pro for DB. After looking on google maps, arent there a few airports right around spanaway? Just curious if that becomes bothersome with the noise!

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely check more into Tacoma when I am out there in a few days. I feel like there are nice parts to every city the hard part is just finding them! I have a few interviews right downtown Tacoma with a few recruiting firms and for HR positions. Thank you for all of the advice! I will definitely be keeping my options open and take into account traffic.

Not, not really There's an airport close to me that is never used and then there is one about 10mins away and i dont ever notice it. I see the same amount of civi planes as i do AF planes In Federal Way we saw alot more civi planes.
  10. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    We live in the Puyallup/South Hill area. We dont have to drive on 512 or I-5 to get to post unless we really want to. We love it out here and couldnt be happier.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast