Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok Oregonians... help me...

1. Senior Member

Ok Oregonians... help me...

Advertisements
    Get excited about moving there... permanently... Dh is from Portland and we recently made the official decision to move back there when he retires at the end of 2013. The plan is for the boys and I to move during the summer if things go well. I am not from the Northwest, only visted here and there a few times and I am so freaking anxious about living there till the end of time. I was born in San Diego, CA but grew up in Ft. Worth, TX from ages 3 to 23 then I joined the navy and pretty much lived in CA again since 1995 to present, in San Diego since 1999, so the thought of moving to the NW is making me crazy!!! I would prefer to stay here, weather is a big reason, but I know financially it is better and cheaper to live in Portlandia. <---- BTW that show is soooo... bizarre.

What do you love about it? I know why dh loves it but I need some other perspectives, especially if you are a transplant like I am going to be. But all opinions welcome from whomever. So come on, sell me on Oregon! Also I know there aren't a lot of you on here so this thread may go without responses for awhile. Maybe some Washingtonians... is that even an adjective... can chime in.
  2. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    Get excited about moving there... permanently... Dh is from Portland and we recently made the official decision to move back there when he retires at the end of 2013. The plan is for the boys and I to move during the summer if things go well. I am not from the Northwest, only visted here and there a few times and I am so freaking anxious about living there till the end of time. I was born in San Diego, CA but grew up in Ft. Worth, TX from ages 3 to 23 then I joined the navy and pretty much lived in CA again since 1995 to present, in San Diego since 1999, so the thought of moving to the NW is making me crazy!!! I would prefer to stay here, weather is a big reason, but I know financially it is better and cheaper to live in Portlandia. <---- BTW that show is soooo... bizarre.

What do you love about it? I know why dh loves it but I need some other perspectives, especially if you are a transplant like I am going to be. But all opinions welcome from whomever. So come on, sell me on Oregon! Also I know there aren't a lot of you on here so this thread may go without responses for awhile. Maybe some Washingtonians... is that even an adjective... can chime in.
    It's very similar here (Seattle), so I will add my two cents. Linzerfufu lives there, so she may be able to help even more-cause Portland itself is weirder than here.

But if you're mostly worried about the weather, DO expect a big change. It may take some time to get used to, BUT since you're coming in summer, that may be the perfect time. It will help you to fall in love with our AMAZINGly green mild summers (currently going on 49 days in Seattle withOUT rain!) and gorgeous scenery of water and mountains. May I suggest though, a winter trip elsewhere to escape the gloomy weather blues? By spring I know I get a little antsy to see the sun and get away.

But really, the people and everything is really awesome. And there is SO much to do. So much quirkiness and city and nature all together. It is awesome.

For Portland itself-Two things come to mind: VOODOO DONUTS!! and SATURDAYS MARKET! Check them out if you haven't already on your few times visiting.

ETA: The bold: Most certainly! We use it all the time.
  3. 021409<3
    021409<3
    Oregon is beautiful. I can drive an hour one way and be at the beach, drive an hour the other way and be in the desert. Our state parks are awesome, we go camping every year. I actually really love the weather here. The summers are warm without being omg-kill-me-hot and the winters are usually mild. Rarely ever any snow and it honestly doesn't rain as much as everyone makes it seem. I don't know, what else do you want to know about Oregon?
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malfoy View Post
    It's very similar here (Seattle), so I will add my two cents. Linzerfufu lives there, so she may be able to help even more-cause Portland itself is weirder than here.

But if you're mostly worried about the weather, DO expect a big change. It may take some time to get used to, BUT since you're coming in summer, that may be the perfect time. It will help you to fall in love with our AMAZINGly green mild summers (currently going on 49 days in Seattle withOUT rain!) and gorgeous scenery of water and mountains. May I suggest though, a winter trip elsewhere to escape the gloomy weather blues? By spring I know I get a little antsy to see the sun and get away.

But really, the people and everything is really awesome. And there is SO much to do. So much quirkiness and city and nature all together. It is awesome.

For Portland itself-Two things come to mind: VOODOO DONUTS!! and SATURDAYS MARKET! Check them out if you haven't already on your few times visiting.

ETA: The bold: Most certainly! We use it all the time.
    I actually have been to Saturday Market but it was 10+ years ago, we bought our boys some cool flannel hats there and we got "ticketed" for dressing too nice. The last time I was in Portland was just this past June but I didn't stay long, just a few days and it was more a mission to get my friend to her son's HS graduation and then drove back home.

I have heard of Voo Doo Donuts, thanks Travel Channel, but never been there so that is one place I'd like to check out.
  5. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    I know nothing about Oregon but can I just say for you. I would love to move up North.
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Ashley View Post
    Oregon is beautiful. I can drive an hour one way and be at the beach, drive an hour the other way and be in the desert. Our state parks are awesome, we go camping every year. I actually really love the weather here. The summers are warm without being omg-kill-me-hot and the winters are usually mild. Rarely ever any snow and it honestly doesn't rain as much as everyone makes it seem. I don't know, what else do you want to know about Oregon?
    Yeah, I had read somewhere recently how it is more overcast than rainy in Oregon which actually sounds better to me because I hate driving in the rain at night so living in SoCal is great since it seems to be rain free 10 months out of the year here.

Also one of the reasons I would love to stay here is because I am in aviation, not working yet, have in the past but I am currently a student to be an A&P mechanic and the warm dry climate in San Diego is perfect for planes because corrosion isn't a big problem here and it can be in wetter climates. Plus I would be working out in the elements more. But dh and I are compromising, told him where ever we live has to fit what I want and I am not wavering from that. One I know may seem silly but I must have central A/C in the home, I don't care if I won't need it most of the time, I know OR will have freak heatwaves and I am a major bitch when hot... like now because our A/C broke and we have been without it for a freaking week and I am about to pack up and move to a hotel until it gets fixed by our landlord. Usually it is dry here so even a 90 degree day will chill down in the low 60's rapidly, but we have been having a humid wave and so the nights are not cooling off like normal and I don't sleep well when it's muggy. So this week has been the crappiest week ever... yeah, first world problems!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Ashley View Post

This!!! Exactly! Dont forget the mountain isn't far if you like to ski or snowboard. Oregon truly is such a beautiful state. I personally wouldn't live in Portland because I'm not much for traffic. But Portland is neat!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh and as for AC... Every new house in Oregon I've seen has it... Up here in Washington I swear this state doesn't believe in AC because most of the house (even BRAND new homes) don't have it!!!! It's insane!
  9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollySunshine View Post
    This!!! Exactly! Dont forget the mountain isn't far if you like to ski or snowboard. Oregon truly is such a beautiful state. I personally wouldn't live in Portland because I'm not much for traffic. But Portland is neat!
    Well, we'll more likely live in the surrounding areas like Beaverton, Tigard, etc. Dh's mom lives in Tigard and I don't want to live too close to her... The college I will be transferring to is PCC in Rock Creek because that is where their aviation school is located so I want to live near there. A plus to going to PCC is I will be done with school much faster because of the way they run their program and I don't think OR is having budget crisis in the magnitude CA is. Because of that my school down here has had to limit their course offerings for aviation per semester meaning they have to alternate classes every semester and some people get screwed when they need that one class to graduate and can't take it until the next semester because it isn't offered this semester. The school takes surveys to try and find out who needs what class to graduate but if not enough students are available to take it it just isn't offered. It is such a cluster fuck. So far I have been lucky to get into the classes offered but some don't make it because the wait list gets too long. Also, the aviation program here does not have summer courses where PCC does so I am looking at that as a big positive for moving and being able to finish quickly.
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollySunshine View Post
    Oh and as for AC... Every new house in Oregon I've seen has it... Up here in Washington I swear this state doesn't believe in AC because most of the house (even BRAND new homes) don't have it!!!! It's insane!
    Yeah we have noticed that looking at homes online which is great! However, my MIL is being pushy about taking over the home she is living in right now, the rent is cheap but the home has no A/C plus the home she lives in needs a ton of work and she keeps harping on me about how I won't need it but I DON'T CARE! I will not live without it ever again. I lived without it for FIVE years when we lived in the east county of San Diego in a town called El Cajon and it gets really hot out there. I don't want to deal with window units because it seems most homes we have lived in the windows open horizontally so in order to have a window unit we have to cover the rest of the window with plywood and it is just a big pain in the ass and I just don't want to do that. I have lived in so many different types of homes that I know what I want and this is our final (big) move and I want to live in a home that fits my requirements. We want to buy a home but that won't happen for several years at least.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast