Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NAS Whidbey Island

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Advertisements
    I live in Oak Harbor, I've been here for about 7 months and we are dual active duty. Solstice kinda hit it head on the nose. Very very small town. Most of the wives and gf's I've met here don't work or work on the base (I work at the hospital and work with mostly dependent wives). I also couldn't find any pictures of the area when I first got orders here. I have never been in the base housing (more like apartments) right outside the gate but the majority of base housing is across town by the commissary. Ive been in two different areas, ones the track home style and the other are older duplex style houses that remind me of tailors. We live in an apartment off base. The majority of Oak Harbor is residential and most enlisted I've met live somewhere off Oak Harbor Blvd. Our "hospital" consists of Labor and Delivery and same day and emergency surgery. We have an urgent care center that's open till around 2200 and the family health clinics. Everything else gets sent down to Bremerton Naval Hospital (about 2 hr ferry ride) or Madigan at JBLM in Tacoma (4 hr drive). The nearest malls are about 45 min and 2 hrs away. You do NOT have to take a ferry to mainland. There's deception pass or "the bridge" that will take you to anacortes. The ferry will take you to everett but you have to time that right with their departures. Seattle is just over 2 hours away and Canada's pretty close but I haven't gone yet. I hope this helps. Maybe info over kill. =) What squadron is your husband in? My boyfriend is intel at VQ1 but he is in Greece atm. =/
    Last edited by houseofboo138; 02-19-2012 at 02:49 AM.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oooo does this mean you guys are married? You'll be fairly close to me. Couple hours away
    Banned
    Bring an umbrella, rain jacket, sun lamp, heated blankets, winter coats, and be prepared for shit weather a lot. Not always rain, but gray and dismal.

There is not much of anything up in that area, however Seattle is like an hour and a half or so away so that isn't too far.
  4. Banned
    Banned
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Big Grin NASWI

Hi! I have lived here for 2 years now, and the summers are wonderful! I can't say that I liked the winters though.
    It rains from about November to April on and off everyday, and it has snowed both years at least twice. That is fun for the kids, and schools will usually close. The summers are beautiful, and if you like the outdoors, there is so much to do. Hiking, biking, camping, and the town is very military friendly.
    If you have kids, you can join Whidbey Island Moms Connection through meetup or on Facebook. The ladies are wonderful, and the ages of kids range from newborn to kinder.
    The town has a ton of parades, and a farmer's market from May- September every Thursday.
    If you want to go to Target, you have to leave the island and it's about a 45 minute drive. Or, if you want a mall, I recommend Lynnwood which is at least an hour and a half away.
    The commissary and NEX are pretty nice, and have a good selection. There is 4 sets of housing. Crescent Harbor, Apache, Victory Terrace, and Maylor Point (where we live). The town is pretty safe for the most part, but I have always felt safe where we live. I have heard some stories about Crescent Harbor referring to break-ins as well as in Victory Terrace. Nothing at Apache or Maylor Point.
    Anyways, hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!:
  6. Regular Member
    we will be moving back to Whidbey in acouple of months as well, DH was there from '05-09 and I moved out there from '07-'09
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I just moved here about a month ago. The area seems pretty dead as far as entertainment goes, or maybe it's just hard to break into. It's pretty here, and the housing is nice, IMO.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    How did I miss this thread when you first posted it?!

We are now in Everett but plan on visiting. We'll have to see you!
  9. SLN
    I'm in Whidbey!!! I love, love, LOVE it here. I wish we could stay FOREVER.

A good place to look up crime info is here.

Oak Harbor, Washington (WA 98277, 98278) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders

Compared to most places Oak Harbor is pretty crime free. Is there crime? Of course, there is anywhere, especially by a Navy base. But that being said, I feel very safe here. We lived in Hampton Roads, Virginia before this and Great Lakes, IL before that. SO Oak Harbor is NOTHING compared to that.

We live off base, we always have. But housing and utilities can be expensive here, especially depending on what you want. I can look around and try to get some housing info for you- I haven't read all the posts responding so I'm sorry if you already have it.

If you have more questions and or want more info, I'd be more than happy to help.

Welcome to Whidbey!!!!
  10. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm not there anymore but I was born and raised there and I miss it so bad. Granted, it's like a 45 minute drive to good shopping (Costco, mall, etc) But you get the beauty of the ocean and the forest. We lived in military housing, it was ok. Nice sized yards and whatnot, but they have been doing some remodeling of the various areas. They seem to have a parade for everything so that's fun if you have small children. I hope you have a safe move
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast