Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Whidbey Island???

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Whidbey Island???

Advertisements
    Hi ladies!

My DB's orders are due in January and we have been thinking about moving away from California, but I need information on Whidbey Island. We are currently living in San Diego, Ca. So I would like to know more information as far as the lifestyle of the city, the job market?, how are the people?, is there a lot to do in the city? Any information would be great to have. Thanks Ladies!!

Rachel
  2. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    My DB wants his orders to be to there after A-school. He is in boot now, so I know it'll be a few months regardless. But I NEED info on this base too! Lol! BUMPPPP!!
  3. Live&Learn
    Live&Learn
    the lifestyle of the city Laid back. Small town. Touristy. Friendly. Safe.

the job market? The job market here is not so good. We are on an island so there is little to nothing outside of service and touristy jobs. Employers have the advantage because they know people don't want to drive off the island, so it's hard to get your foot in the door and wages are low. If you are willing to drive to Mt. Vernon or Burlington, you will have many more job opportunities, but that is at least 45 minutes each way.

Work Source: https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/worksour...der=Employment

Whidbey News Times: Whidbey Classifieds - Whidbey News Times&#160;&#187;&#160;Employment

how are the people? Mostly military. But the locals are nice and pretty tight knit.

is there a lot to do in the city? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...NO. The town is REALLY small. And, yeah, there are a lot of outdoor type things to do (parks, beaches, hiking, Deception Pass, Port Townsend, San Juan Islands, Coupeville), but it's cold/rainy here 9-10 months of the year, and that makes it hard to want to go outside. Seattle is 2 hours away. There is a small night life here if you like bars/clubs (most are downtown). And the mall is 45ish minutes away in Burlington.

Any information would be great to have. PM me if you have any more questions.
  4. Junior Member
    Hi! I just moved here about 2 months ago from California. So far it has been pretty nice. Everybody will tell you that the weather is "soooo" horrible, but it really isnt that bad. It does rain, but it so pretty and green here. There are a lot of outdoor activities to do. The mall in Burlington is alright and with traffic it takes about 45 minutes to get there. There is so much to do in Seattle and it takes only about 90 minutes to 2 hours to get there.

I dont know much about the job market because I am not working and dont really plan on getting a job. The town is pretty nice and you can get almost anything you need right here in town.

If you have any questions or want any information, just let me know!
  5. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Thanks ladies! So much! After DB gets his orders, which I hope are to WA.. I'll probably be hitting ALL of you up! It will be my first time EVER living away from my hometown.. sooo.. I'll be needing some support!
  6. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    Thanks ladies! So much! After DB gets his orders, which I hope are to WA.. I'll probably be hitting ALL of you up! It will be my first time EVER living away from my hometown.. sooo.. I'll be needing some support!
    I know what you mean about moving away from home for the first time. This was my first time moving away from home too. Hope you guys get the orders you want!
  7. Senior Member
    My husband loved that place. He always wants to go back.
    It took longer than we thought. Now 2 IUI's, 3 IVF's, 1 FET .
    One day at a time, one step at a time, and one day we will get there.
    DS Feb 2013 and Adopted DS Aug 2012
  8. Senior Member
    We've spent many years up here, so any questions you have, let me know. I know a bit about the different commands too, so if you're wondering about deployment type stuff, let me know. We have a lot of different types of squadron up here.

There's actually quite a lot to do considering how small the place is. People talk about how secluded it is, but really, I'm sure you're used to driving 30-40 minutes in San Diego to get anywhere. It's similar here but you're not in traffic doing it, so you're going a little further but the time is about the same. It is very green up here. Yes, there's rain. It's WA. But Whidbey Island gets less than Seattle because it's on the WA interior. So we're protected from some of that.

Prices are good up here compared to San Diego. There are some nice restaurants within 30 minutes (some on island, some in Burlington area). The locals are really nice. For the most part they are very accepting of military people. It is going to be a shock for you coming from somewhere as big as San Diego, but it's quite nice once you get used to it. It is a lot cooler than you'll be used to, but you'll get used to it. I spent 4 years in FL before coming up here. The first year I was cold a lot, but then your blood thickens and it doesn't seem so cold. 60 becomes warm. lol.

Anyway, let me know if I can help. We've been here twice (we liked it that much we fought for orders back up here a second time). So I'm pretty familiar with the area. The islands are just amazing. If you like outdoors type stuff, you will love it up here.
  9. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Thread closed due to OP no longer a member and Thread being old