Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: NW Washington Ice?

1. Navy Wife Air Force Brat
    Navy Wife Air Force Brat

NW Washington Ice?

Advertisements
    Hello! i love in Smokey point, which near Arlington and above Everett, this is my first winter here and I've never had to drive in weather like this before so i was wondering if you could give me some advice on what to do, what to buy, and how to drive in it? And if you got any suggestions about tires, cars, places to go, things to do and staying warm both in and out of the house i would really appreciate it. Thanks everyone for take time to reading this post and can i just say i can't believe beautiful it is here. i haven't had a white Christmas since 1990s in Germany when i was small and its quite a shock seeing snow on your house after living in Hawaii and California. thanks again!

It's Not Brave If Your Not Scared" - Abby (From The Movie Bounce)
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'm from mi originally, so I'm used to winter. Here in wa you can run studded tires in the winter if you want. I just run a good all season tire that was well rated in rain snow and ice.

For your house, if your windows are drafty you can buy plastic to cover them with. Then you blow dry it and it shrinks up really snug. A space heater can help keep the room you most frequent warm. A rolled up bath towel at the bottom of a door will block a draft. Also you can buy sticky foam insulation strips to help seal doors and windows.

Wear layers of clothing when you go out. Warm boots, gloves, hat. Keep extra warm clothes in your car just in case.

You should also have an emergency kit. Check ready.gov for ideas. Lengthy power outages are common here during the winter.

Posted via Mobile Device
  3. CAITstoppable
    CAITstoppable
    If the roads are snowy and icy, just take it slow and don't ever slam on your brakes, pump them.

Keep extra blankets and what not in your car in case you get stuck.

Layer, Layer, Layer. Only way to stay the warmest.

Things to do, if you have kids, there is the Children's Museum, The Museum of Flight. I'm sure there are some places like chuckie cheese's or something that the kids can do. You can also go to the movies or something.

http://twitter.com/CLAiken

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAITstoppable View Post
    If the roads are snowy and icy, just take it slow and don't ever slam on your brakes, pump them.

Keep extra blankets and what not in your car in case you get stuck.

Layer, Layer, Layer. Only way to stay the warmest.

Things to do, if you have kids, there is the Children's Museum, The Museum of Flight. I'm sure there are some places like chuckie cheese's or something that the kids can do. You can also go to the movies or something.
    Really? Because I was always told with the new ABS systems you DO NOT want to pump, just keep your foot on the breaks.
  5. Navy Wife Air Force Brat
    Navy Wife Air Force Brat
    Thanks for the though but we don't have kids. I was looking for more like suggestions on where to play in the snow, like sledding, in the Mts and best places to see Christmas lights and things.

It's Not Brave If Your Not Scared" - Abby (From The Movie Bounce)
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Really? Because I was always told with the new ABS systems you DO NOT want to pump, just keep your foot on the breaks.
    Yep. Never pump abs brakes. You need to know what type of brakes you have.

Shifting into neutral as you come up to a stop sign can help keep you from sliding. If you're sliding steer in the direction you're sliding not the way you want to go. Braking while you're sliding just makes matters worse.

Posted via Mobile Device