Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: WA ladies

1. kim

Hello WA ladies

Advertisements
    more specifically whidbey(sp?) island! do any of you live in housing or have you been in the housing? dh put in for orders there and if we get them we want to live in housing! i was looking at them online (victory park, saratoga hieghts and rockhill terrace) they look nice from the outside! do you ladies know anything about them and the area they're in? thanks in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kim View Post
    more specifically whidbey(sp?) island! do any of you live in housing or have you been in the housing? dh put in for orders there and if we get them we want to live in housing! i was looking at them online (victory park, saratoga hieghts and rockhill terrace) they look nice from the outside! do you ladies know anything about them and the area they're in? thanks in advance!
    They're all pretty decent. Forest City took over management about a year or so ago, so everything is being renovated. I live very close to Victory Park and Saratoga Heights. They are very close to the CDC and also the seaplane base where the commissary and nex are. Some units even have a water view. It's decent housing. Crescent Harbor I would avoid. I'm not sure where Rock Hill Terrace is.
  3. kim
    thanks i've just been looking on navy housing one stop, but sounds like victory park is where we wanna be though (by the cdc, commissary and nex)! speaking of which are the commissary and nex decent?
  4. Junior Member
    i was wandering the same thing! We move there sometime in February or March and are going to apply for housing because it seems to be pretty expensive to live in town if you need somewhere that will take my dog.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hello Ladies,
    I'm with you all.. we move there next month.. we're also trying to get into housing..and along with you all i've only been looking on navy housing one stop..about a two months ago i was told that the wait list for victory park/saratoga (which is where we wanna get into also) is about 4-6 months.. i don't know if that still stands. Good luck to you all!!
  6. Senior Member
    Hi ladies! I'll try to answer all of the questions:

1. Yes the NEX and commissary are decent although I usually buy some veggies and meat at Safeway/Albertsons because things like broccoli tend to sit for too long at the commissary. We have some great international brands, and they have a good variety of things. We also have a fresh sushi bar which is nice. The NEX is good. We have a separate furniture store because they have too much to fit into the NEX building (which incidentally is a renovated seaplane hanger). They are extending the NEX in the next year or so which will be nice. They have a good electronics department, as well as kids clothes, shoes, adult clothes, kitchen stuff, garden store, etc. It's not as big as the one we had in Pensacola, but then the base is much smaller here.

Victory Park is good housing. It's mainly townhouses but there are some which are stand-alone houses. Maylard Point is another good area. The waiting list depends on the housing development, your DH's rank, and also the number of children you have (i.e. how many bedrooms you qualify for).

The CDC is near impossible to get into for a child under 3. The waiting list last time I checked was over a year long. However, we do have a large number of CDH homes here, plus off-base "schools." My daughter goes to the Montessori school here part time and it's not as expensive as you'd think (because I wanted part-time it ended up being cheaper than the CDC for me!)

Re: dogs. The housing referral office which is in the Nor'Wester on the main Ault Field base can give you a list of rentals out in town that will accept dogs. There are more than you might think. Houses are not selling so owners are renting instead. I know we had to reduce our rent (even when the boom was going) to get close to BAH here to get a renter, so there are some. There are a lot of town houses and condos here. I know many of the town houses will take dogs because a friend had a 70lb lab in his place.

If you do want to look at rentals, windemere and churchill both have their rentals online. This is windemere's site: http://www.rentwhidbey.com/rentals/residential.html
    and churchill's: www.oakharbor.com.

I can give you an idea of where they are and some of the neighborhoods if you want. I live on the north side of Oak Harbor which is great for commuting off-island, but at the same time there are plenty of cut-throughs for south Oak Harbor. Coupeville is about 20 minutes away (south), Anacortes is about 30 minutes away (North).

Let me know if you have any other questions!