Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving to Alaska in the near future??

1. finally with my other half again :)
    finally with my other half again :)

Moving to Alaska in the near future??

Advertisements
    ok so we just found out that df is getting stationed at Ft. wainwright AK for 3 years....i have quite a few questions and df cant seem to find the answers that i want so im asking you all....now im wondering can he live off base with me if we are not married? and if we do get married after he gets there how long about would it take to get everything in order to get me up there with him? How is the housing on post? How hard is it to find a job close by?

Now we wont be having a car when we get up there will that be a problem if we are living on post? or off post? How do cell phones work up there is there any one carrier that works best up there right now we have US Cellular and im wondering if we need to switch before he gets up there?

If anyone else has helpful information that would be wonderful.
  2. Senior Member
    Hey there...try this website. It has tons of info on all military installations and local info as well.

https://onestop.army.mil

Good luck
  3. finally with my other half again :)
    finally with my other half again :)
    thanks i will take a look
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hi there. I have lived in Fairbanks since I was born and met my hubby here. He loves it and wants to stay, we will be here for another 6 years, hopefully more. He can't get BAH for housing off post unless you are married. It took only a few weeks for all the paperwork. But you have to have a renters agreement to get the BAH set up.
    We live off post and wouldn't have it any other way, but that's a personal preference. You're gonna want some kind of car even if you live on post, unless he is living in the barracks. Our winters get pretty dang cold. The housing isn't too bad on post. But there is usally a pretty long wait list. They are building a lot of new housing, so that might help. The old housing is really old, but still decent. They have a basement, the main floor has a good size living room, kitchen and small dining area. The upstairs has two bedrooms and one bath. The thing with living on post is all the crazy neighbors and drama. What kind of job are you looking for? We have a huge area expanding every year 5 mins from post. We have AT&T for cell service, do you have that? The two main ones are ACS and GCI. I have GCI it's a little cheaper, but the coverage is not quite as good. It's not terrible. But ACS def. works better on post.
    Let me know if you have any other questions!
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Oh the really nice thing about living on post is heat and electric are paid for, which gets really expensive in the winter! So that's a plus.