Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIRST TIME MOVING AS AN ARMY WIFE--- FT. LEWIS

1. Kaedyn's Mommy<3
    Kaedyn's Mommy<3
    Blog Entries

Question FIRST TIME MOVING AS AN ARMY WIFE--- FT. LEWIS

Advertisements
    I need to get to know people!! We'll be arriving by December 10th.

Any suggestions or special information please let me know?
    Sight seeing? Entertainment? ANYTHING! lol

I'll only be 18 and everything will be so new because I've had a very sheltered life, so I have NO idea what to really expect when I get there.
  2. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Well, welcome to Ft Lewis. Activities depends on what you like to do.

There are movie theaters around, I recommend the one in Lacey it's much nicer than the rest. The seats recline a bit and the arm rests fold up. Yelm also has a decent theater. (Lacey is So of Ft Lewis, Yelm is E of Ft Lewis)

The Tacoma mall is a decent mall (N of Ft Lewis). It's fun to watch the rent a cops whizz around on their silly little scooters. After the mall shooting a few years ago security is heavily enforced so keep your head down and don't get loud or rowdy. For a more laid back setting you could try the Olympia Mall (S of Ft Lewis).

Ikea at South Center in Renton (N of Ft Lewis about 35-40 mins) is a very neat and entertaining place to go for the day. They are a furniture store, but for the military they are awesome. All their furniture is easy to assemble and more importantly, easy to take apart for all those moves. It packs well. We've made it to GE and back with ours. Has European food, excellent for those of us that lived there and miss it. The South Center mall is HUGE and if you ned to find something you can usually find it there.

Seattle is an hour N of Ft lewis. If you like international food, the International District is for you. There's a Japanese Super Market and bookstore as well as Chinese and Korean food located around. Try some bubble tea while you're there.

There are a couple underage clubs in Seattle. I don't keep up with them anymore, but usually one is affiliated with Kube 93.3 (rap) and one with Kiss 106.1 (pop/alternative).

There is of course the Space Needle, expensive but a one time must see. Seattle Center can be fun, there are rides there everyday and many weekends you'll find events. I also recommend the Seattle Underground tour.

Seattle is a mostly liberal city. For the most alternative section visit Capitol Hill. They have some of the best shops, but I don't recomend it if you have anything against gays, lesbians, transexuals, punks, goths, or other life styles that don't go well with the military. Be careful what you say, gay bashing will not be tolerated well in most of Seattle.

The entire Puget sound area has a coffee obsession. Many of us are coffee snobs and don't drink Starbucks. We go to the little coffee houses that roast their own beans. They are great places to hang out, read, chill, some places have events like spoken word or music. Some places to check out are: In Olympia/Lacey -- Mudbay cafe, Olympic Crest, Batdorf and Bronson, Cutters Point. In Seattle -- Vivace (Capitol Hill), Cherry St Coffee House (Downtown), Bulldog News (U-District).

Bookstores. I love books. A lot of people read in this area for enjoyment. There are chain stores like Borders and Barnes and Noble (open 'till 11pm most weekends with a starbucks cafe inside) as well as a used bookstore chain called Half Price Books. In Seattle, Twice sold tales is a fun used bookstore with cats that run amuck around the stores.

If you're into Fitness, Ft Lewis has several gyms. There are pools at a couple of them. Fitness classes are offered, some paid, some free, and free personal training is also available.

If you're accident prone like myself, don't worry. The Madigan ER is right there on post. The only problem is that your definition of dying does not coincide with theirs. Long wait times are a constant problem. Getting into family practice appointments are also a problem. The pharmacy--I usually plann on it taking 2 hours to get a new prescription filled. Bring a book. The good news. You can be reffered to an off post urgent care practice for same day appointments. Ask for the triage nurse to call you and she can fax it on over the the urgent care clinics after you talk to her.

There are many local community colleges around Ft lewis if you're interested in school. There are classes available to soldiers on post at the Stone Education center.

If you don't mind the rain there are plenty of outdoor hikes available. Mt Rainier is only a couple hours away and has some gorgeous areas at the base. Since you're new I will post my pics from Ft lewis of Mt Rainier.

I got those on a rare sunny, summer day. It rains a lot here. If you hear someone say "oh look the mountain is out" that means you can see Mt Rainier which often is hidden behind clouds.

The closest zoo to Ft lewis is the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium. It's very nice and friendly. DH and I like going there and we don't have kids. Woodland park zoo in Seattle is another option with different animals. Also a nice zoo.

Around the time you get here, the Spanaway fantasy lights will be occuring. You can also go ice skating at Sprinker.

There are tons of great areas to sight see at. The Puget Sound, Oracs Island, The San Juans, Victoria BC, Vancouver BC, the puget sound beaches, the ocean beaches, the rain forest in WA, Portland, OR, Leavenworth, etc. I recommend stopping by ITT on main post or the Adventure Center on North fort to get a ton of brochures of things to do. The adventure center also rents camping trailers, boats, kayaks, skis, snowboards etc.

Skiing and Snowboarding are available during winter months. Snoqualmie is a popular beginners place, although I've heard Crystal Mountain is nice.

Well, now that I've written a book, anything I can expand upon for you?
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  3. Kaedyn's Mommy<3
    Kaedyn's Mommy<3
    Blog Entries
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!
    You just helped me out a TON!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Wow. Rei covered it. Welcome to the nw!

Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Missing My Soldier
    Missing My Soldier
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
    Ditto!
  6. ♥proud US ARMY wife♥
    ♥proud US ARMY wife♥
    Ft Bragg, NC but home w/ my family in MD while he is deployed :(
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post

I

those mountains are gorgeous! i'm jealous!!

waiting for him to come home so we can keep TTC#1
  7. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by HOOAHwifey View Post
    those mountains are gorgeous! i'm jealous!!
    Too bad we only see them about 2 months out of the year. I'm ready to move out of the rain.

Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  8. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post
    Too bad we only see them about 2 months out of the year. I'm ready to move out of the rain.

I'll be back in the area (north of seattle) this week, so if you have questions about the area, feel free to PM me.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
    Yeah she did! I don't think I have anything else to add except if you are looking for a place to live off post, Dupont and Lacey/Olympia are really nice areas. Dupont is RIGHT next to post, kinda pricey though. Lacey is about 10-15 minutes South, but is much cheaper than Dupont. We live in an apartment in Lacey and love it here.

Will you be looking for a job? Or stay-at-home-wife/mom?

We've only been here a few months, so I'm still pretty new as well. PM if you want.
    ~Jessie~

10. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesseeyka View Post
    Yeah she did! I don't think I have anything else to add except if you are looking for a place to live off post, Dupont and Lacey/Olympia are really nice areas. Dupont is RIGHT next to post, kinda pricey though. Lacey is about 10-15 minutes South, but is much cheaper than Dupont. We live in an apartment in Lacey and love it here.

Will you be looking for a job? Or stay-at-home-wife/mom?

We've only been here a few months, so I'm still pretty new as well. PM if you want.
    Lacey is nice. We live in Federal Way which is north of post about 15 minutes. It's a decent area and closer to the Seattle area which has more job options and schools. My parents AND in-laws live in the Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater area, so we like living to the north of Ft Lewis. My dad is at Ft Lewis as well. (mom, you know I love you. )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast