Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Anybody know anything about Fort Lewis, WA?

1. Married and loving it!
    Married and loving it!

Anybody know anything about Fort Lewis, WA?

Advertisements
    Hi ladies,
    I just found out that db is going to be stationed in Fort Lewis. It's not for another 6 months, but I figured it's never too early to start learning about a new place. You see, we're planning on getting married soon and so it looks like that's where we'll be living once we get married. I don't know anything about it, so anything you could tell me would be great. Is it big or small? What's the weather like? Are the quarters on base nice? What's there to do around there? Stuff like that. Thanks ladies!
    Surviving our First Deployment.

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

2. Senior Member
    Ft. Lewis is one of the largest army bases in the country. It's right next door to McChord airforce base and is about a 20-25 minute drive to either Tacoma or Olympia. There is on-base housing, but most people prefer to live off-post. Married BAH easily covers rent and utilities in most places.

Some good things about the area:

The weather is rarely extreme. If it is, then it's many days of rain, but the term "april showers brings may flowers" really does fit around here.

You can see Mt. Rainier from almost anywhere in the area (when the sky is clear) and you can drive there in 1-2 hours. There are tons of parks, lakes and sports activities to do, depending on what you like.

It's about 1 to 1.5 hours drive to Seattle.

There are LOTS of family activities during the holidays and some decent school districts in surrounding areas.

PM me if you have any questions. I've lived in the area since I was 14. I don't go on post that often, but DH can answer some questions as well.
  3. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovestosing View Post
    Ft. Lewis is one of the largest army bases in the country. It's right next door to McChord airforce base and is about a 20-25 minute drive to either Tacoma or Olympia. There is on-base housing, but most people prefer to live off-post. Married BAH easily covers rent and utilities in most places.

Some good things about the area:

The weather is rarely extreme. If it is, then it's many days of rain, but the term "april showers brings may flowers" really does fit around here.

You can see Mt. Rainier from almost anywhere in the area (when the sky is clear) and you can drive there in 1-2 hours. There are tons of parks, lakes and sports activities to do, depending on what you like.

It's about 1 to 1.5 hours drive to Seattle.

There are LOTS of family activities during the holidays and some decent school districts in surrounding areas.

PM me if you have any questions. I've lived in the area since I was 14. I don't go on post that often, but DH can answer some questions as well.
    Us locals, or people that have been here long enough refer to that rare phenomenon as "The mountain is out today."

Here are some pics from post of Mt Rainier:

She's right the weather is rarely extreme, but when it rains, it rains for many days and is dark and cloudy and cold.
    On days that are sunny it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

People in Washington cannot drive. It's a nightmare during commuting hours to drive.

If you don't have children the likelyhood of getting quarters on base is very small. I suggest looking at lacey for housing, although there are nice parts of Tacoma as well. Stay away from Spanaway and many parts of Lakewood.

As far as things to do--it really depends on what you like to do. There are many out door activities to do if you don't mind the wet.

There are some great beach towns just a few hours away, including the navy beach resort Pacific Beach. Leavenworth is a longer trip away but it's a cute bavarian (German) town that a lot of people go to.

There are some great zoos around, the closest one being at Point Defince in Tacoma.

Coffee and coffee shops are a big thing around here. You will soon find out that we have coffee snobs that do not drink starbucks. I am one of them.

There are a ton of great bookstores around. For some reason, reading abounds here. Maybe because of the weather?

There are of course nightclubs in Tacoma and Seattle. A few have 18+ nights.

Let me know if you have more questions. I've been around here a while and DH grew up here.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  4. Pregnant with Baby #2
    Pregnant with Baby #2
    The area is really nice... housing on post IS getting nice but there is a GIANT wait list (like 6-12 months) and like PP said if you don't have kids it is kind of a lost cause. Lacey has some really nice areas to live in though. I have lived here for 9 years, but we are leaving next month , and I really like it!
    This is my shrine to Bryanna... she rocks!!