Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Everett, Washington Area

1. Senior Member

Question Everett, Washington Area

Advertisements
    Hi. Wanted to know what Everett is like. Might get stationed there.

Yes, I'm a Coupon Freak!! Check out my Blog
  2. ShutterbugBecca
    Hi! We just moved here almost two months ago. You can go to my blog for lots of photos and commentary about our first impressions. www.beccasfreshfruit.blogspot.com
    I'm still learning this place, but if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!
    Becca
  3. Del
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka
    I live about 20min south of Everett and go up there to shop at the NEX. What kinda questions you got?

The whole area is pretty rainy/dreary. But right now it might be summer so I think I see 1) sun and 2) blue skies, which is pretty awesome.

They're just finishing a huge construction project on the freeway through Everett, so life is gonna be pretty sweet once that's done.

There's no good NEX or Commy on base. You have to go up about ten exits to the Smokey Point FFS where the bigger NEX and Commy are. They're pretty all right up there. The commy is good, the NEX is okay.

I dunno. Lots to do in Seattle area... Uh, what types of info you looking at? It's about 40min outside of Seattle central area.
  4. Senior Member
    Just wanted to know if that area is pretty, weather, expensive living, kids' school, etc :-)

Yes, I'm a Coupon Freak!! Check out my Blog
  5. ShutterbugBecca
    It's definitely pretty as you can see from the photos on my blog.

As far as kid's schools go.... I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to like them.
    I have one starting kindergarten next year so I can't comment on that yet except to say that Kindergarten here is only half day.
    I have two in middle and one in high school.
    The high school is HUGE and is broken up into about 6 different schools in one. It's hard to explain, but each "school" has a particular focus and points the kids towards certain careers once they graduate. It's pretty self-motivated, so if you've got a kid who needs his hand held in order to complete assignments (like mine, unfortunately) you might have some difficulty.
    The middle school (marysville middle) is very old and yukky looking. I'm really appalled at the security there as well. Most of the doors that lead directly in to student hallways are not only left unlocked but propped wide open!
    When I need to go to the school for something, I just walk right into the middle of a student hallway and make my way to the office. No one has ever stopped me to check my ID or even so much as given me a look of "are you a good person or a bad person". Good thing I'm not a lunatic or a kidnapper because I could have a hayday there if I was!
    My daughter who is an A student says that for all but one of her classes the teachers give them seat work which is written on the board. For the entire class, they complete the seat work and go up to the teacher's desk if they have a question.
    No lecturing, no class discussion, and very little discipline is being done to keep the kids quiet during class time. My daughter text messages me constantly all day. She says all the kids do.
    I'm hoping that since we only attended the last two months of school here in this district that the teachers were just on burn out and ready for summer so they got lazy.
    If it continues next year, I'm going to be all over them with meetings and complaints until they either teach and protect my kids or find another profession.
    Sorry for the rant.
    We are renting a house out in town. We pay $1700 a month for a 2,500 square foot home that has 4 bedrooms and 3.5 baths. Our view is incredible, but we have very little yard. It seems that everyone wanted to live on the same piece of land out here and so they all do!!! The houses in almost every neighborhood I've seen in Marysville, Lake Stevens and Everett are right on top of each other.

I've not yet made a determination on the weather yet. I hear this has been a weird Spring, so I'll give it another 6 months or so before I comment on what I think it's like.
    I can tell you that Seattle is awesome. It's a very clean city with lots to do . It's not overwhelming or scary at all and the people seem very friendly.

Let me know what else you would like to know.