Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Probably Bangor

1. Regular Member

Probably Bangor

Advertisements
    We have "verbal" orders for Bangor, so I'm not going to count my chickens quite yet

I have been looking into the area a bit and I would like to transfer with my job out there but the closest place is Seattle and it looks like I'm looking at like a hour ferry each way everyday ?
    Which sounds like no fun to me.

Is it a bad commute, do a lot of people do it? Where would be a good place to live if I did take the ferry? That would also be okay for DB to live also.

I'm also bummed about the orders we were really hoping to get Kings Bay, GA, but I guess no use crying about it
  2. Senior Member
    Commuting to and from Seattle every day can be expensive, especially if you drive. Passenger only is free to go over but you pay to come back. You would have to consider parking costs for either side as well. There is a lot of construction going on near the ferry terminal in Bremerton and I hear it can be a pain to deal with. Another thought is the ferry ride from Bainbridge Island is only a 1/2 hour trip to Seattle. It is more expensive to live on Bainbridge Island but nearby Kingston and Poulsbo areas are a little cheaper I believe. You will really want to do your research if you are considering commuting to Seattle every day for work.
  3. Senior Member
    my friend lives in bangor she likes it just fine she doesnt leave the base though because everything is so expensive.. they wanted to buy a home but that was a no go.. to expensive for cheap lookin houses.. she is a realtor so yeah. but i wish u luck..
  4. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD View Post
    Commuting to and from Seattle every day can be expensive, especially if you drive. Passenger only is free to go over but you pay to come back. You would have to consider parking costs for either side as well. There is a lot of construction going on near the ferry terminal in Bremerton and I hear it can be a pain to deal with. Another thought is the ferry ride from Bainbridge Island is only a 1/2 hour trip to Seattle. It is more expensive to live on Bainbridge Island but nearby Kingston and Poulsbo areas are a little cheaper I believe. You will really want to do your research if you are considering commuting to Seattle every day for work.
    Poulsbo is still a little on the pricey side. I went to school in Seattle for a little bit, it was a bit of a pain an expensive to park my car on Bremerton's side, then coming home you have to pay to come back this way. The ferry at the end of the day is pretty full with everyone coming home, the same way for going in the morning.
    Just keep researching, there are ways to save cost if you decide to do that.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacc View Post
    Poulsbo is still a little on the pricey side. I went to school in Seattle for a little bit, it was a bit of a pain an expensive to park my car on Bremerton's side, then coming home you have to pay to come back this way. The ferry at the end of the day is pretty full with everyone coming home, the same way for going in the morning.
    Just keep researching, there are ways to save cost if you decide to do that.
    Certainly. I was just saying it was a bit less expensive than Bainbridge Island. Poulsbo is definitely more expensive in general than Bremerton. We wouldn't buy up there because the property taxes were terrible.

Suquamish is supposed to be a less expensive area too. All those areas are in a reasonable proximity to Bangor and a ferry.
  6. Regular Member
    I was looking at Bainbridge island but like you all said the real estate there is really expensive, and it looks like a long commute for DB to work in Bangor if we lived on Bainbridge island.
  7. nkaliloa

I KNOW

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang06 View Post
    We have "verbal" orders for Bangor, so I'm not going to count my chickens quite yet

I have been looking into the area a bit and I would like to transfer with my job out there but the closest place is Seattle and it looks like I'm looking at like a hour ferry each way everyday ?
    Which sounds like no fun to me.

Is it a bad commute, do a lot of people do it? Where would be a good place to live if I did take the ferry? That would also be okay for DB to live also.

I'm also bummed about the orders we were really hoping to get Kings Bay, GA, but I guess no use crying about it
    WE WERE IN SAN DIEGO AND MY HUBBY PUT IN FOR ORDERS AND WE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO COME TO BANGOR. THE HOUSING ON BANGOR BASE ISNT TO BAD IF YOU CAN GET INTO THE WEST HOUSING AREA.
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nkaliloa View Post
    WE WERE IN SAN DIEGO AND MY HUBBY PUT IN FOR ORDERS AND WE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO COME TO BANGOR. THE HOUSING ON BANGOR BASE ISNT TO BAD IF YOU CAN GET INTO THE WEST HOUSING AREA.
    They arent married yet, so they can't live in housing.

Good Luck Heidi! I've never been out there so I have no advice
  9. Tristan
    We just moved to WA from HI and we bought a house in Port Orchard. The drive is only about a 1/2 hour to Bangor. I think this little town is adorable and we are very happy so far! =D Of course its only been about a month!