Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Norfolk ladies!!

1. celise

Help Norfolk ladies!!

Advertisements
    Ok, orders are in, and the verdict is.... Little Creek in Norfolk! I have so many questions and DB doesn't seem to have any answers.
    Where to begin? He said he has to get "approved" to live off base. What goes in to doing that? When do you get BAH? Someone told him that you have to be E3 before you can get that. If we dont have that, can we afford an apt. on his salary? He seems to think so.. But I wont have a job or anything yet if I move up there. I don't know my way around, I dont know where anything is! I have to transfer to a university up there too.. And find a job.. And I know no one up there.
    God I want this so bad, but I just feel like my energy is being wasted. Like everyone is against us and we just keep fighting for nothing. Am I wrong to feel like this? I love him so much and it breaks my heart every time I can't see him. I want everything to be the way it used to. We had lived together for 2 years before all of this. I dont know how to handle. I want to make this work so much it hurts. I dont care what I have to give up, and I know it will be a lot. And he wants to get married.. I just.. Need help, advice.. anything, please.
    What do I do? Where are good areas to live in, If everything works out. Should I look into things blindly, not knowing what to do. But I know with the military, you never know, haha! He wants to get married in the Spring. How am I supposed to do that and everything else if we arent living together. I am losing my mind, quickly. I know this isn't his fault, but I feel like we are slipping and we havent even made it to deployment.
    I am torn, and all I want to do is go to sleep and ignore it all. Please help me.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It will really depend on where you are looking to live and how much you are looking to spend for an apartment. I will tell you that it is pretty costly to live in this area. It is not as expensive as it is in say CA or CT, but it is pretty high.

I am not sure as to the requirements for living off base.

As for BAH, he should get that pretty soon after getting to the area.

If I can answer anything else, just let me know. I will try my best to answer them.

Tricia
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The cost of living here is pretty high.

From what I understand E3 and below has to apply for BAH and permission to live off base, and it depends on the command whether they will get it or not.

Good luck!!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    he will need permission to live off base it used to be until they were E-5 but that might have just been my DH's last sea command. Little Creek is in VA Beach i believe. if he does get permission he will get single BAH rate, which is less than the one with dependants. i haven't been here long enough to tell you where to look for cheaper places. sorry and good luck with that i hope he can get permission.
  5. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Yeah its pretty pricy to live around here. And yeah Taressa is right, half the base in in va beach and half is in norfolk ( the base is kinda sitting on the city line lol) He would have to get approved to live off base. As for good area and bad areas each city is hit and miss so tahts kinda hard to say... but there are plenty of cities to choose from if you guys were to live off base.
    As for your prob with having to transfer schools your in luck because there are like 10 colleges in the area. If you have more questions pm me i've lived in the area all my life so I know alot about it.
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  6. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    Quote Originally Posted by knockouttrish View Post
    It will really depend on where you are looking to live and how much you are looking to spend for an apartment. I will tell you that it is pretty costly to live in this area. It is not as expensive as it is in say CA or CT, but it is pretty high.

I am not sure as to the requirements for living off base.

As for BAH, he should get that pretty soon after getting to the area.

If I can answer anything else, just let me know. I will try my best to answer them.

Tricia
    The same with me. I live in Newport News on Yorktown Weapons Station. We have always lived on base so I have no clue about living off.
  7. Senior Member
    I live right by little creek base right off little creek road

My dh has lived off base since he was an e-2 and we get regular bah so idk what he would have to do
    Ive been bitch slapped

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole1788 View Post
    I live right by little creek base right off little creek road

My dh has lived off base since he was an e-2 and we get regular bah so idk what he would have to do
    nicole, your husband was able to live off base with you as an e-2, and get regular bah, because you guys are married. he has dependants.

for a single sailor, i imagine the bah is less. i live pretty much directly outside little creek base. the closes gate to me is gate 3 i believe. there are some nice looking apartment complexes right outside the base on shore drive, but i imagine they're pretty pricey. if we had renewed the lease and continued with the rental partnership program, we would be paying $930 for a 2 bedroom townhouse. it's pretty crappy here though. if you're looking for nice neighborhoods/apartments, you're pretty much going to be paying for them. if you're willing to compromise, you can find something around $700-$800 that's not too bad.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  9. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    so far i agree with what everyone has said. to live together off base not married will be very tight monetarily, not to say it isn't do-able. for you getting a job, it all depends what kind you're looking for. and for your school, there are plenty in this area! good luck and welcome!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketswife View Post
    nicole, your husband was able to live off base with you as an e-2, and get regular bah, because you guys are married. he has dependants.
    Lol...my bad i read it wrong. Bad day..DB, DF, DH all start looking the same.
    Ive been bitch slapped