Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fort Drum?

1. Seriously?!? Seriously!
    Seriously?!? Seriously!

Fort Drum?

Advertisements
    SO is stationed out of Fort Drum and "if" he asks me to move there I was wondering if I could get some advance info....might help with decision making

Thanks!!!
  2. The journey is the reward.
    The journey is the reward.
    DH and I have been at fort drum for about 1 year and half. I tried to get information about it before I moved up here and most of it was very negative. It is not as bad as people told me it was going to be.

Drum is surrounded by little towns and villages. Many of the houses that are converted into apartments are ridiculously over prices and often very small. But if you look hard enough you can find a nice one for a reasonable price. If you do not have any pets, there are a lot of low income apartment complexes that are actually very nice (but then there are some dirty ones too).

As for employment. It sucks. Most of the jobs available are sales or food. Not sure what experience you have, but be prepared to be paid way less then you are currently making.

The school systems are very nice.

But upstate New York is very beautiful. Just remember it is all what you make of it. If you are open to explore and try new things. Fort Drum is not bad.

I am a feminist
  3. Senior Member
    I like it up there... Its quite! I will tells you I never really considered myself a city girl until I went up there but I love it. We have a motorcycle too so there are so many pretty places to ride. I am still kinda getting the hang of things up there since I am not up there full time.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

WHEW!

I am headed up there in July.

I posted here before but did not get much feedback. I have to say I feel a little better by the responses who_knew received!

I asked a friend who moved from Syracuse about the area...the response is not publishable! I am worried about the job scene, but I think that is true everywhere right now.

Best of luck to you, who_knew!
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I have to chime in here. I am from Vermont, and we BEGGED for Drum. We had it at first...until the changed orders on us...which is okay. I will take Germany. Anyway...we have family in the area and family also has a lake house on Lake Ontario in the area. Do not let people scare you about Drum. It is a BEAUTIFUL area. If you have kids, it is a great place to send them to school...and it is just so pretty. Everyone says bad things...but MOST people I talk to say they hated it at first, complain about the weather...but admit they really love it.
  6. Member
    I just left from up there to come home while DH is deployed. For the most part it is nice and quite. Like someone said not very many job opportunities but the area is nice. Look around for housing some of it is over priced.
    Emily Rose
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I used to live in Watertown!
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

from ny

im from ny....and i have been up there a few times....as its only like 2 hours away....its a beautiful area....small and quiet....but beautiful....if you love the city syracuse is only like maybe an hour away....you wont regret that move! i promise