Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Recommendations for places to live

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Recommendations for places to live

Advertisements
    Hi All!

My husband and I are looking for housing near Quantico, VA where my husband will be at TBS. Any recommendations as far as reverse commute locations, military-friendly would be so helpful. We are looking for a 2 bedroom, preferably a house, and we need month to month rent or possibly 6 month lease. We are looking for something under $1800. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much!!

Tassi
  2. Senior Member
    I recently PCSed and I joined a few FB pages for the base DH will be stationed at. I was able to get a lot of good information about areas around the base like where to live/not to live, what utility bills would cost, commute, etc. That's probably your best place to start.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarine29 View Post
    Hi All!

My husband and I are looking for housing near Quantico, VA where my husband will be at TBS. Any recommendations as far as reverse commute locations, military-friendly would be so helpful. We are looking for a 2 bedroom, preferably a house, and we need month to month rent or possibly 6 month lease. We are looking for something under $1800. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much!!

Tassi
    for a reverse commute you want to be north of Quantico; I would recommend Dumfries or Woodbridge for a shorter commute. You should be able to find a townhouse there for that price range but I'm not sure its enough for a single family house; I know we rented a 3 bedroom townhouse for 1650 in a nice part of Woodbridge. If you are willing to drive a little further Alexandria or Arlington are nice but again they'll be a little more expensive--like my 1 bedroom apartment was about 2,000.
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    for a reverse commute you want to be north of Quantico; I would recommend Dumfries or Woodbridge for a shorter commute. You should be able to find a townhouse there for that price range but I'm not sure its enough for a single family house; I know we rented a 3 bedroom townhouse for 1650 in a nice part of Woodbridge. If you are willing to drive a little further Alexandria or Arlington are nice but again they'll be a little more expensive--like my 1 bedroom apartment was about 2,000.
    ^^^^ Yup, Woodbridge is probably the best bet for affordability, especially in Northern VA. Going south is generally easier than traveling north while commuting here
    https://66.media.tumblr.com/3a006e1a506c9f8649f4d809726f2d43/tumblr_nwtutw4zvG1sa8ezpo8_r1_250.gif
  5. Senior Member
    Since he will be in TBS you should try to get a place near the back gate in Stafford area. There are a bunch of townhouses in that area. Woodbridge is far north for the part of the base he will be on and I wouldn't even consider Alexandria or Arlington. It's only 6 months (assuming he doesn't have MOS school in the area as well) and he will have almost no off time so a commute over just a few minutes would be a pain. He will actually have a room in the barracks as well.
  6. Regular Member
    I agree with PaUSMC. There can be a lot of traffic in this area, so being in the Stafford area would be your best bet. And they have nice town homes in the area. Good luck finding a place!
  7. Regular Member
    When looking at potential places, look up the traffic for morning and evening commutes, just because something says it is only X miles away and X mins on realtor sites or Mapquest does not mean that is reality. There is so much traffic and traffic. Oh, and did I mention traffic? I was fortunate that my hubs lived here prior to us ever meeting so he knew to do this, saved us from buying a house that sits in a horrible traffic corridor.