Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Arlington, VA?

1. Regular Member

Help Arlington, VA?

Advertisements
    Hi. We have orders to Arlington, VA and will get there sometime in January. Can anyone recommend a decent neighborhood to live in and elementary schools?? My twins will be finishing out kindergarten and we do not have any pets.

Thanks!
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    That's a loaded question. There are a ton of areas in and around Arlington. There are also areas outside of Arlington that are cheaper and just as good. Arlington can be very expensive to live in. You may have to just come here and figure out where you want to be in relation to his commute to work.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how far away you're comfortable moving from Arlington, but Fredericksburg (about 30 miles south), is a much less expensive area to live. I won't lie though, traffic isn't the best in that area. Falls Church is generally considered a good neighborhood. Woodbridge and Manassas are also nice. I'm not sure about schools, but I think given the area that most of the districts are probably good. I grew up in MD and have friends in family in those areas.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaNicole View Post
    I'm not sure how far away you're comfortable moving from Arlington, but Fredericksburg (about 30 miles south), is a much less expensive area to live. I won't lie though, traffic isn't the best in that area. Falls Church is generally considered a good neighborhood. Woodbridge and Manassas are also nice. I'm not sure about schools, but I think given the area that most of the districts are probably good. I grew up in MD and have friends in family in those areas.
    Fredericksburg would be an INSANE commute...a coworker of mine did it and said it was 2 hrs+ each way.

I lived in Arlington for years but it is very expensive! I lived in Pentagon City right near the metro which made it worse than other areas expense wise. If you're dead set on Arlington there are some neighborhoods further from the metro that are cheaper (my DB pays 1300ish for a one bedroom). Is your DH going to be stationed at the Pentagon? I know they do have a list of apartment complexes in the area that they work with to get cheaper rents for military.

I recently moved to Woodbridge, my commute is worse (about an hour each way) but the cost of living and imo the quality of living are much better. It all depends on what kind of life you want, city or more suburban/rural.

I don't have kids so I'm no help when it comes to school districts or anything.
  5. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    Fredericksburg would be an INSANE commute...a coworker of mine did it and said it was 2 hrs+ each way..
    Yeah, I used to travel between home and Norfolk, and that area is a traffic nightmare. Arlington is a nice area, but, like you said, is SUPER expensive.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    It really depends on what you want. If less commute is important, then you will pay more cost of living to live near work. If cheaper to live is more important than a commute, then I would choose Prince William County. You can get to Arlington in less than hour.. less than 20 if you use toll roads.

I live in Woodbridge, and hubby used to commute to DC, and it wasn't even that bad.. maybe an hour.. but you could take an hour to get from home to Pentagon, even being only a few miles away.. just sayin

Heather.. hit me up in PM.. I know ways to get to Arlington from here in less than an hour..

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

You will have to weigh commute time vs cheaper living. You could live outside of Arlington cheaper than you could live inside of Arlington but your DH's "work day" will be longer because of commuting

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    It really depends on what you want. If less commute is important, then you will pay more cost of living to live near work. If cheaper to live is more important than a commute, then I would choose Prince William County. You can get to Arlington in less than hour.. less than 20 if you use toll roads.

I live in Woodbridge, and hubby used to commute to DC, and it wasn't even that bad.. maybe an hour.. but you could take an hour to get from home to Pentagon, even being only a few miles away.. just sayin

Heather.. hit me up in PM.. I know ways to get to Arlington from here in less than an hour..
    I don't drive i take the VRE. it costs me a $25 a day to park at work haha.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    I don't drive i take the VRE. it costs me a $25 a day to park at work haha.
    Slug girl.. there is a slug line right near you.. will save you some time.. and probably money