Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Eastern Massachusetts Ladies!

1. Senior Member

Eastern Massachusetts Ladies!

Advertisements
    Is anyone going to or has gone to Boston (the Esplanade) for July 4th? This is my first year going and I知 super excited, but NGL I知 a little worried about the crowds and traffic. Does anyone have any tips for attending the July 4th festivities in Boston? And if anyone wants to meet up that day, I知 down! TIA

ETA: I live 20 miles away and I had planned on taking the train/T into the city.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm so jealous! Going to Boston for the 4th is on my bucket list.

I Eelizah
  3. Senior Member
    Just expect to do a lot of waiting for the T. Also make sure you know when the train back to your station stops running, it's been a while but I remember needing to leave events in Boston early so I could get home. Also if you can get a charlie card and load it in advance that will help, it would stink to have to wait in that line and wait to get on the T. I've never gone for 4th of July but I have been in Boston for Red Sox and Patriots Parades and it is insane but fun. I love Boston it is one of my favorite cities.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'll be in Vermont, or else I totally would have joined you!! But, honestly, I usually stay away from Boston on the 4th haha. It will be crazy crowded, but a lot of fun. I don't have any real tips for you, but like *Meg* said, get a Charlie card in advance, you can get em at any T stop and load it up so you're not waiting in any additional lines that you don't have to. Have fun!!!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

O my thats gonna be crazy but fun! I agree with catching the T early (or maybe staying a night after) to make it easier to get back. Also look online and read the rules, I think they may have restrictions on purses/ water bottles etc after the marathon bombing (I know they do here in DC).

ETA: here are the rules in Boston: What's Allowed - What's Not Allowed | July 4th
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    I'm so jealous! Going to Boston for the 4th is on my bucket list.
    It's on mine too! We missed it last year, and DH is only going to be stationed here about another year and a half, so I figure it's now or never!

Quote Originally Posted by *Meg* View Post
    Just expect to do a lot of waiting for the T. Also make sure you know when the train back to your station stops running, it's been a while but I remember needing to leave events in Boston early so I could get home. Also if you can get a charlie card and load it in advance that will help, it would stink to have to wait in that line and wait to get on the T. I've never gone for 4th of July but I have been in Boston for Red Sox and Patriots Parades and it is insane but fun. I love Boston it is one of my favorite cities.
    That is a great tip! Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    I'll be in Vermont, or else I totally would have joined you!! But, honestly, I usually stay away from Boston on the 4th haha. It will be crazy crowded, but a lot of fun. I don't have any real tips for you, but like *Meg* said, get a Charlie card in advance, you can get em at any T stop and load it up so you're not waiting in any additional lines that you don't have to. Have fun!!!
    Bummer
    Have fun in Vermont!!!

Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    O my thats gonna be crazy but fun! I agree with catching the T early (or maybe staying a night after) to make it easier to get back. Also look online and read the rules, I think they may have restrictions on purses/ water bottles etc after the marathon bombing (I know they do here in DC).

ETA: here are the rules in Boston: What's Allowed - What's Not Allowed | July 4th
    I had thought of booking a hotel, but this late in the game I assume everything is either booked or wayyyyy more expensive than I'm willing to pay.
    Thank you for the link. I read up on the rules and I decided I would only be bringing a blanket because lugging that stuff around on the train would be a PIA!

I've been asking my co-workers what time would be good to get there and I keep getting mixed reviews. One person said 6 am , most said noon, and some said 5-6 pm. BTW, the fireworks don't go off until 10:30 pm.

Do y'all think I should go around noon, or should I leave sooner/later?

7. Regular Member
    Ok I'll be here but I'm wondering how crazy it will be? This will be my first 4th of July here and I have my 2 year old son. So far I'm just planning on walking down memorial drive and watching the fireworks from there.