Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orders to Washington DC

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Big Grin Orders to Washington DC

Advertisements
    Hi everyone! My husband received orders to Washington DC and we are looking for homes to rent in the area. I was wondering what areas are best for families with small and school aged children and which ones we should absolutely avoid.

Any help would be appreciated!!
  2. Senior Member
    Hey, I lived in Beltsville, MD for two summers at my friend's house. The area was okay, some of Prince George's County may not be the best though. Montgomery County has several good places. I'm not too familiar with the Virginia side but I know a lot look there as well. My biggest piece of advice is to do research on the traffic from where you live to where you will be working. It is often congested, a lot use the metro (which is still crowded) so just keep that in mind when looking at places. One summer I was working in to DC, I had my hours early, in to work around 7 and leaving around 3 or 4 which helped a little bit with traffic. The other summer I was working in Annapolis and except for one short piece of my commute, I was mainly going against traffic which was nice. Good luck!
  3. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

We're stationed about a half hour from DC. Montgomery County is probably the best area to live, but pricey. It's not as pricey as DC however, so that's always a good thing!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Which base?
    You can live in Virginia or Maryland. Lots of great areas in both.
    do you have kids? Want an apartment or house? Rural or a downtown area?
    Whats your budget for rent?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    I loved living in Southwest compared to the rest of DC but I have no idea about schools...I don't even recall there being one lol. I'm sure that's no help, but if you need to be right in the city, it's the quietest and safest I'd say. A lot cheaper than northwest.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

How old are you? What hobbies do you have? Do you want to live in the District or outside of it? I have several friends and family members in Northern Virginia. It's great there. Idk anything about Maryland. Within NoVa you will find a mix of price ranges. Mostly they go down the further out you go.

Alexandria and Arlington are the most expensive.

Gainesville is the most conservative/republican area in NoVa. Gainesville is also one of the most newly built up communities. Almost everything is basically brand new, but they're still building stuff so there is quite a bit of construction and road work. They have a great school system and have recently had other people move to Gainesville (which is in Prince William County) for the schools.

Fairfax County has the best organized sports for adults. My brother and sister-in-law moved there because of that. They're very active and enjoy participating in various county rec leagues. My brother plays and refs there

There are kinda 2 kinds of "outside of DC". There's the inner circle that still has metro stations. (Fairfax is one of the last stops) And then there are more communities outside of that with a longer commute. The far out metro stations all have parking garages for people who drive there and then metro in to the city.

(I'm a Virginia girl. I was born and raised in Virginia and think it's great so I'm totally biased on any Virginia/Maryland debate! I think Virginia is better )

A lot of DC is typical city. NorthWest and North East have the better neighborhoods. I personally would prefer to live outside the city, especially if my SO would be deploying while living there. I don't know how comfortable I would be on my own with small kids but that's just me. The Georgetown area is pricey. Like I saw a small rowhouse for sale for $6million.

7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Which base?
    You can live in Virginia or Maryland. Lots of great areas in both.
    do you have kids? Want an apartment or house? Rural or a downtown area?
    Whats your budget for rent?
    We are looking in Maryland mostly, he'll be at ONI in Suitland, MD. We have 3 children and would prefer a house. Our budget is $2k-$2500 for rent plus utilities. We are also considering buying a house up there, since we would get a nicer home for our budget if we had a mortgage.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose. View Post
    How old are you? What hobbies do you have? Do you want to live in the District or outside of it? I have several friends and family members in Northern Virginia. It's great there. Idk anything about Maryland. Within NoVa you will find a mix of price ranges. Mostly they go down the further out you go.

Alexandria and Arlington are the most expensive.

Gainesville is the most conservative/republican area in NoVa. Gainesville is also one of the most newly built up communities. Almost everything is basically brand new, but they're still building stuff so there is quite a bit of construction and road work. They have a great school system and have recently had other people move to Gainesville (which is in Prince William County) for the schools.

Fairfax County has the best organized sports for adults. My brother and sister-in-law moved there because of that. They're very active and enjoy participating in various county rec leagues. My brother plays and refs there

There are kinda 2 kinds of "outside of DC". There's the inner circle that still has metro stations. (Fairfax is one of the last stops) And then there are more communities outside of that with a longer commute. The far out metro stations all have parking garages for people who drive there and then metro in to the city.

(I'm a Virginia girl. I was born and raised in Virginia and think it's great so I'm totally biased on any Virginia/Maryland debate! I think Virginia is better )

A lot of DC is typical city. NorthWest and North East have the better neighborhoods. I personally would prefer to live outside the city, especially if my SO would be deploying while living there. I don't know how comfortable I would be on my own with small kids but that's just me. The Georgetown area is pricey. Like I saw a small rowhouse for sale for $6million.
    My husband and I are both 30 and don't really participate in sports, but we do like hiking. Thanks for the tip on Gainesville, we will probably avoid that part of town, haha. I'm heavily tattooed and while my husband doesn't have nearly as many as I do, he's starting a pretty nice collection. I tend to get the most comments/looks from the Republican crowd. He won't be deploying since he's on shore duty this time around (thank glob). I've heard some not so great things about actually living IN DC so we've been looking in Gaithersburg, Bowie and Laurel, mostly Maryland, lol.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    we live south of DC in Prince William County. We started in Fairfax County but to buy a house was too expensive, so we chose this county because you get more house for your money and the commute was no different. We were stationed at Bolling when we first got here.

Where to live.. that really is different for each person. I am going to say anywhere outside of the beltway (outside of 495). Whether its Maryland, DC or VA, its all your choice. VA schools are slightly better than Maryland (although some MD schools are good), and both are better than DC. Some say avoid Prince George and Montgomery County, others say, its only certain towns/areas on those counties.. same can be said for VA.

We chose Fairfax County when we first got orders because we knew the schools were good, and far better than our slotted school for DC. We never really cared for MD, just too many things about it didn't fit our life style and what we wanted. Commute from where we were in Fairfax was fine, similar to what it was when we moved. Unless you live on base, your commute will be horrible, even if you live 1 mile away.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

DC

depending on where he is working i happen to love arlington VA area!!! hope you like it here!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast