Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Quantico base housing?

  1. Senior Member
    JaneSays's Avatar
    JaneSays is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,588
    #1

    Quantico base housing?

    Advertisements
    Does anyone have any experience living on base in Quantico? DH and I will be relocating there in August for him to attend TBS, and we're considering living on base, just so his commute can be as short/easy as possible, and because finding a place that allows two dogs with a fenced in yard nearby is tough! He'll be an officer, and we looked online and the housing LOOKS nice and like it's everything we need, but we all know looks can be deceiving

    Also, my understanding about base housing is that all basic utilities are included (water, electric, etc) but that things like cable/internet are not, correct?
  2. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #2
    To answer your general question about utilities, it depends on whether or not base housing is privatized and which company runs it if so.

    Our base housing is through Balfour Beatty, but we won't have a water and electric allowance for a few years so they can track usage. At Kirtland (also privatized) you were given an allowance of electricity and water. If you went over you paid the difference, but if you were under you got a check for the difference
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    be: pistachio's Avatar
    be: pistachio is offline
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Let's be honest; Okinawa is not Japan.
    Posts
    3,717

    #3
    Did you end up moving with him to TBS? My husband might (hopefully) be moving there in a year for training, and we have been discussing whether DS and I will go with him or stay near my parents, since I hear they are in the field a lot.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Wild*Rose's Avatar
    Wild*Rose is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    5,428


    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    Did you end up moving with him to TBS? My husband might (hopefully) be moving there in a year for training, and we have been discussing whether DS and I will go with him or stay near my parents, since I hear they are in the field a lot.
    Come here and live close to me thats like 20 minutes away!!
  5. Senior Member
    JaneSays's Avatar
    JaneSays is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,588
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    Did you end up moving with him to TBS? My husband might (hopefully) be moving there in a year for training, and we have been discussing whether DS and I will go with him or stay near my parents, since I hear they are in the field a lot.
    Yep! We're here, and I'm glad. He's off every weekend and depending on the day, can get home anywhere from 5 to 9 when he's not in the field. He'll be in the field 4 or 5 nights this month? Not too bad. And the spouses are all pretty nice. We hang out a lot. I'd recommend coming. Know that the first week and range week will be the worst, schedule wise, but once you get on a routine it really isn't bad.
  6. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    be: pistachio's Avatar
    be: pistachio is offline
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Let's be honest; Okinawa is not Japan.
    Posts
    3,717

    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    Come here and live close to me thats like 20 minutes away!!
    maybe. It wouldn't be for another 14 months, but maybe! I really hope he's selected. He will be a very competitive applicant, but it's a very competitive board. I'm already fantasizing about leaving Okinawa a year early.

    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Yep! We're here, and I'm glad. He's off every weekend and depending on the day, can get home anywhere from 5 to 9 when he's not in the field. He'll be in the field 4 or 5 nights this month? Not too bad. And the spouses are all pretty nice. We hang out a lot. I'd recommend coming. Know that the first week and range week will be the worst, schedule wise, but once you get on a routine it really isn't bad.
    That's not bad! He would be in Warrant Officer School, which is a condensed version of commissioned officer OCS, and then WIOC school, so we'd be there a total of 8 months. We could save a lot of money, and I could finish up the last three psychology classes I need to apply for PhD programs, if we lived with my parents in GA. And they could help with the baby (ahem, toddler by then). However, I don't want my DS to be gone from his dad that long if he doesn't have to be. I figured they were in the field more than that, and he's be gone ALL THE TIME. This is great to hear! Thank you!
  7. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #7
    my husband works at OCS. I don't know anything about housing but it looks nice when we drive by

  8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    be: pistachio's Avatar
    be: pistachio is offline
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Let's be honest; Okinawa is not Japan.
    Posts
    3,717

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    my husband works at OCS. I don't know anything about housing but it looks nice when we drive by
    I have island fever so badly that I'm already planning our return in a year and making plans for every duty station possibility, and we don't even know if he will be selected. If he's NOT selected on the board this year, we still have 2 more years in Japan.

    Now, I'm going to look up Quantico housing. I could clean while the baby naps, or I could troll the internet and dream about the future and life CONUS…. and that sounds much more fun!
  9. Senior Member
    JaneSays's Avatar
    JaneSays is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,588
    #9
    Well, not to rain on the parade, but OCS and TBS are two different beasts. OCS was basically in the field the whole time. He would be secured for like, 36 hours of libbo on the weekends. He did the 10 week OCS and it sucked, but we were only dating then. He didn't even get his phone on the weekend for the first 3 weeks. After the first 3 weeks they get liberty on the weekends only but that's it.

    TBS is the 6 month officer school they do after OCS and comissioning. I'm guessing his school after OCS would be similar-ish to TBS as far as the freedom and quality of life type stuff. I'm with you, I wouldn't want DH and DS to be apart longer than they'd have to be. Could you do a class or two during OCS since you wouldn't see him anyway and then be here for the other school?
  10. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    be: pistachio's Avatar
    be: pistachio is offline
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Let's be honest; Okinawa is not Japan.
    Posts
    3,717

    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Well, not to rain on the parade, but OCS and TBS are two different beasts. OCS was basically in the field the whole time. He would be secured for like, 36 hours of libbo on the weekends. He did the 10 week OCS and it sucked, but we were only dating then. He didn't even get his phone on the weekend for the first 3 weeks. After the first 3 weeks they get liberty on the weekends only but that's it.

    TBS is the 6 month officer school they do after OCS and comissioning. I'm guessing his school after OCS would be similar-ish to TBS as far as the freedom and quality of life type stuff. I'm with you, I wouldn't want DH and DS to be apart longer than they'd have to be. Could you do a class or two during OCS since you wouldn't see him anyway and then be here for the other school?
    CWOs are not commissioned, so no OCS, thank goodness. He would do Warrant Officer Basic Course (aka "India Company" at TBS, http://www.mcrc.marines.mil/Portals/...on%20Dates.pdf), which is a shortened version (16 weeks) of TBS. He would show up on day one and do the weigh in/PFT, and then pin on CWO-2 on day 2 of WOBC. The day he graduates WOBC, he would go across the street and check into WIOC for another 4 months.

    He just told me he knows a couple gunners starting the course this January, so hopefully we can get a better idea from them! Soooooo many things to consider.


    I just saw I put OCS in my previous post. I meant TBS. Whoops! I've significantly muddled this thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •