Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: moving to Norfolk

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

moving to Norfolk

Advertisements
    Hello! My husband and I will be stationed at NAS Norfolk next month. We're looking for a two bedroom apartment in the area, off base! I'm wondering what are the nice areas to live around NAS Norfolk? It's just me and my husband. Any replies would be appreciated!
  2. Senior Member
    Hey!

I wouldn't live anywhere you had to cross a bridge/tunnel (i.e. hampton, suffolk, portsmouth) because they regularly get cramped during rush hour(s) which is 6-9AM and 3-6PM and if there's a wreck inside you're pretty much stuck. Also, keep in mind NAS is a HUGE, BUSY base and the line to get into base in the mornings is ridiculous, so you have to add that onto your commute as well.

Ghent is the hipster/gentrified area in downtown Norfolk and has a lot to do and decent neighborhoods. It's also a pretty straight shot to NAS.

Chesapeake is a really nice area in general, but it's a hike to get to NAS.. Like a 45+ minute commute during rush hour(s).

I would avoid oceanview (directly east of NAS all the way to JEB Little Creek), but the area just south of ocean view (Little Creek Rd and a little farther south) is nice. Thats where I live.

Also anything around Independence Blvd is nice and all the way east to Va Beach is nice as well, you just start getting into longer commutes towards Va Beach.

The roads around here are in no way sufficient to handle the traffic they face, it gets way too cramped way too fast, but I hope I've helped a bit factoring in commute and location..

LMK if I can be any help scouting out Apts for you. I know what it's like to move somewhere and then realize it's not such a good area..
  3. Regular Member
    I live in VA Beach...perfect cause my BF is at Oceana and our Roomie is at Norfolk...plus I LOVE VA Beach...

I know it's hard finding a place you can be confident about being nice when you aren't here yet. There are ton's that have special dealios for military families (like the one we're in) or (since we're getting ready to move we've been searching around too) check out militarybyowner.com. They have allllllll sorts of handy resources and tips for moving and renting and blahblahblah.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by z32chick View Post
    Hey!

I wouldn't live anywhere you had to cross a bridge/tunnel (i.e. hampton, suffolk, portsmouth) because they regularly get cramped during rush hour(s) which is 6-9AM and 3-6PM and if there's a wreck inside you're pretty much stuck. Also, keep in mind NAS is a HUGE, BUSY base and the line to get into base in the mornings is ridiculous, so you have to add that onto your commute as well.

Ghent is the hipster/gentrified area in downtown Norfolk and has a lot to do and decent neighborhoods. It's also a pretty straight shot to NAS.

Chesapeake is a really nice area in general, but it's a hike to get to NAS.. Like a 45+ minute commute during rush hour(s).

I would avoid oceanview (directly east of NAS all the way to JEB Little Creek), but the area just south of ocean view (Little Creek Rd and a little farther south) is nice. Thats where I live.

Also anything around Independence Blvd is nice and all the way east to Va Beach is nice as well, you just start getting into longer commutes towards Va Beach.

The roads around here are in no way sufficient to handle the traffic they face, it gets way too cramped way too fast, but I hope I've helped a bit factoring in commute and location..

LMK if I can be any help scouting out Apts for you. I know what it's like to move somewhere and then realize it's not such a good area..
    Pretty much all of this!
  5. Regular Member
    Once you're past the tunnel...don't even go back....