Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCSing to Ft. Myer/NoVA need advice on areas to live

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

PCSing to Ft. Myer/NoVA need advice on areas to live

Advertisements
    Hello ladies! We are PCSing from Alaska to Fort Myer (Old Guard). My husband and I are driving with our son, 2 dogs, oh and did I mention I am 6 months pregnant? We would like to have a house lined up there before we roll into town. So we are looking in several areas and found two homes we like. 1 in Woodbridge in a nice quiet community and 1 in Ashburn in a master planned new development community (very nice). We know there will be a commute involved for husband, but was wondering if you suggest living in one place vs. the other. We need to stay in the $2300 rent range and because of the dogs we know will have to live a little ways out from Arlington. Looking for any advice you can offer up. TIA and we CANNOT wait to get there!! Yes, finally back to civilization!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i live right down the street from fort myer!! i would be careful with going that far out, woodbridge and ashburn are both a hell of a drive esp in morning traffic. heck i don't like driving to ashburn in no traffic even though it is a really nice area. i would look closer to alexandria/arlington/fairfax for a quicker commute. mostly right around the base is apartment complexes...if that works for you i can let you know the nicer areas in the neighborhood. as for houses i think fairfax or further out in alexandria would have some; for that price they might not be amazing but they'll be a lot easier than driving back and forth.

let me know if you need any advice!
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Definitely Woodbridge versus Ashburn. Ashburn is much further out.

I live in Woodbridge and the commute from there to Ft Myer will not be that bad... 30-40 mins. Hubby used to commute from Woodbridge to Bolling (about 15 miles further) and he'd get there in about 45-50 mins.

Woodbridge is also closer to many more things than Ashburn. Ashburn is somewhat rural in comparison.

Woodbridge is also cheaper overall than Ashburn (talking gas, groceries.. basics).
    We lived in Springfield for a bit, and when we moved to Woodbridge the commute was actually faster.

If you have any more questions, I am more than happy to help.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Definitely Woodbridge versus Ashburn. Ashburn is much further out.

I live in Woodbridge and the commute from there to Ft Myer will not be that bad... 30-40 mins. Hubby used to commute from Woodbridge to Bolling (about 15 miles further) and he'd get there in about 45-50 mins.

Woodbridge is also closer to many more things than Ashburn. Ashburn is somewhat rural in comparison.

Woodbridge is also cheaper overall than Ashburn (talking gas, groceries.. basics).
    We lived in Springfield for a bit, and when we moved to Woodbridge the commute was actually faster.

If you have any more questions, I am more than happy to help.
    i think i must drive like an old lady haha cuz it takes me that long with no traffic (which never happens anymore) lol
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    i think i must drive like an old lady haha cuz it takes me that long with no traffic (which never happens anymore) lol
    LOL.. perhaps.. It rarely takes us more than 30 mins to get to Ft Myer, even during rush hour. I can get to Tysons in under 30.. and its further than Ft Myer.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    I agree with Trish. Woodbridge is a better area.. We live on Belvoir my husband drives each day to the Pentagon. He takes GW parkway and it takes him around 25 mins.
    We did not know the area so we moved on post..
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.