Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Norfolk Research

1. Regular Member

Norfolk Research

Advertisements
    I know there are several other threads pertaining to Norfolk, however several are many months (or heck, even years) old, so I am going to start this one. If I should pop into an older one, I apologize ahead of time!

As one of the ladies on here helped me learn (thank you Villanelle!) my fellow is PCSing to Norfolk soon. Basically he is in (and again, I am likely getting all these terms mixed up) pipeline training? Then by sometime next summer he will be down there. As I had mentioned in my other post, there was talk of if the children would be coming with me or not. I can now say that unless my work situation changes considerably before next summer the children WILL be coming with me (the ex and I are in agreement on this, due to the nature of his work schedule). In addition it is likely that his son will be joining us there as well.

So, on to my questions-

I have read multiple different accounts on the conditions of on base housing. If it is better, cheaper, safer, etc. I seem to be getting the impression that it is NOT safer, though it may be (for a large family) the more affordable option. Thoughts? Opinions? The likelyhood of us going on-base is not very high, as it would require rushing things that we do not wish to rush. >.>

I have also read multiple different accounts on the off base housing. That one needs to be careful on where they go, as the crime rates seem to be rather troubling in some areas of Norfolk. It seems the main consensus is that Chesapeake and Virginia Beach are the places to go. I have also seen what seem to be decent areas (judging by the schools, at least) in Suffolk? Again, thoughts? Opinions?

My main priority is good schools and safety of course, since I will be responsible for making sure two elementary aged children and one high school aged one get as good of an education as I can help them get where we will be. Does anyone know anything about the school districts down that way? I have been staring at the "great schools.org" site for what feels like hours now!!

This is all very new to me, and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with figuring it all out. Generally I am a whiz at my research, however without spending time in a place one has no idea what its REALLY like. Most of the posts I have read over in this subforum seem to mostly enjoy the area, (and stay clear of some parts) so I am curious of where I should aim. I also look forward to meeting new friends face to face, who will hopefully help me navigate this new adventure I am finding myself on.

Thanks in advance!!

-Allison
  2. Senior Member

Base Housing - there are several different neighborhoods. Some of them are great, some of them less so.

Off base - the weird thing about this area is how abruptly you can go from being in a good neighborhood to a bad neighborhood. If you have specific locations in mind, try to run them past someone here. It also depends on which base you're going to (there are at least 9 different bases in the Hampton roads area), because the traffic and commute can be a pain. Virginia Beach has it's good and bad neighborhoods too.

Not sure about the schools.

Hope this helps

3. Regular Member
    Naval Station Norfolk. Thats where he would be, so in theory he wants to be on the side of the tunnel that Norfolk proper is. I have both heard, and once experienced, the horror of that tunnel, and I don't blame him in the least. O.O

Which on base housings are decent? Do you know?

And hey, every bit of information I can gather helps!! So thank you!
  4. Senior Member

Definitely a good call in avoiding the tunnel.

Here is the list of communities: Naval Station Norfolk | Installations | Lincoln Military Housing

The only one I've heard anything particularly bad about is Willioughby Bay, and that was about 2 years ago now.
    The two communities actually on base (H Qtrs for officers and Sewells Point Enlist do enlisted) are reall nice.

5. Regular Member
    You are awesome. Thanks so much!!! As we get closer to actual "having to move in six months" I will likely start poking at this area more. Particularly since I would really like to meet other folks in my shoes (even while I am still in MD)