Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Off Base Housing

1. Regular Member

Off Base Housing

Advertisements
    Fiance and I are looking apartments over my spring break so once I'm done with exams I can fly out and live with him. Are there any areas around the Norfolk base for housing that are better than others? Fiance wants to only look at Hampton but I haven't been able to find much available of rent. Any suggestion or comments would GREATLY appreciated! I'm trying to put together a list of complexes and phone numbers so we can dedicate a few days to straight apartment hunting. I have 22 days until break and barely have had time to look at any recent listings because of school deciding to piling up on me.
  2. Moderator

I mean, that's a really broad question. Everyone has differing opinions of Hampton Roads. It depends on what you're looking for.

There's going to be traffic everywhere. Do you mind a longer commute? Do you mind tunnels/bridges?

We lived in that area for 12 years, both on the Peninsula and in Va Beach. It just depends on your taste.
  3. Regular Member

I don't mind commuting. I'm applying to NSU for the fall semester to continue my degree and I don't think Fiance minds a commute as long as it's not too long. We both agreed on trying to find a 2 bed, 2 bath that's pet friendly. Bridges and tunnels don't bother either of us. He hasn't complained about them, at least. I don't know the area at all. I usually just stay at the Tazewell downtown when I'm out there and he drives everywhere. He's stationed in the yards so I guess finding something somewhat close to there would be ideal.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I live in Hampton, my husband was stationed at Langley though. There are a few ladies that live in Hampton and commute to Norfolk but it can be a fairly annoying commute if there's an accident or a huge back up. It took me an hour to get home from the mall near NSU last Friday during rush hour. I don't know how it is on a regular basis but if you are both going to be in Norfolk, I'd personally rather just live in Norfolk, know what I mean?
  5. Moderator

If he's up in the Newport News shipyards, I understand Hampton. We lived in Hampton when my ex husband was stationed there for the yards.

Either way, one of you will have to make a commute, with you go to NSU.
  6. Regular Member

Yes he is in the Newport News yards. I really don't mind commuting, as long as it's not some crazy 2 or 3 hour drive. I can understand that traffic can get backed up. I'm used to that. I live extremely close to Chicago right now so I'm not worried about that.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    If he's up in the Newport News shipyards, I understand Hampton. We lived in Hampton when my ex husband was stationed there for the yards.

Either way, one of you will have to make a commute, with you go to NSU.
    Quote Originally Posted by 13buttonsalute View Post
    Yes he is in the Newport News yards. I really don't mind commuting, as long as it's not some crazy 2 or 3 hour drive. I can understand that traffic can get backed up. I'm used to that. I live extremely close to Chicago right now so I'm not worried about that.
    Oh, that totally makes sense then!
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I would definitely recommend living and working on the same side of the water. Traffic is only getting worse in this area. In the summer, the tunnels get severely backed up especially in the event of accidents. I would try not to live in Newport News or Hampton South of Mercury BLVD. You can look up the crime stats before making any decisions.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    S/N yet related... has he confirmed with his command that he can live off base?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. Senior Member

Another vote for living and working on the same side of the water. It is a long tedious commute.