Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving to norfolk

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

moving to norfolk

Advertisements
    Just found out we will be moving to Norfolk. Any info on base housing would be great! Also I am a certified cdh provider where I am now so any info about it over there would be great!
  2. Senior Member

Are you O or E? Officer housing is nice? En listed housing is a little iffy depending on which community you're in.
    Traffic absolutely sucks.

But, since this is such a high military area, there are a lot if resources, especially for families

If you're looking at off base housing, avoid Tidewater Dr and Little Creek Rd.

3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Hubby is enlisted. I want on base for the day care.
  4. Senior Member

I don't think you have to live on base to use the CDC. I don't have kids, so don't know for sure.

Also about 95 percent of the enlisted housing is outside the base gates, not sure if that makes a difference to you or not.

5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I am a home daycare provider with the navy where were stationed at now. So as long as I'm in military housing its all good. Just wondering which are the nicer ones to move in.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

From what I've seen, the nicest enlisted housing in the area is Fort Story, which is a 45 min commute away. That's where we'll be living
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. Senior Member
    Get signed up for base housing ASAP.

DH is O, and our wait was probably going to be about 6 months. We signed up in August and I just got a call this week asking if we were still interested. We ended up buying a house instead of renting out in town because rent was going to be about $400 more than our mortgage.. Plus we're getting equity in a house instead of 'throwing away' that money..

+1 on the traffic suckiness.. The interstates are so rough, HUGE potholes and patches that beat you up even in the most comfortable of cars.. The roads here are not setup to handle the traffic volume on them. The lights are not on sequential timers, so you'll most likely get stopped at every traffic light you come to.. Driving is just miserable, and I cannot stress that enough. We did have a 30 minute commute when we first moved to the area, but we ended up buying a house about 5 minutes from base and life is so much easier.
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by z32chick View Post

DH is O, and our wait was probably going to be about 6 months. We signed up in August and I just got a call this week asking if we were still interested. We ended up buying a house instead of renting out in town because rent was going to be about $400 more than our mortgage.. Plus we're getting equity in a house instead of 'throwing away' that money..

+1 on the traffic suckiness.. The interstates are so rough, HUGE potholes and patches that beat you up even in the most comfortable of cars.. The roads here are not setup to handle the traffic volume on them. The lights are not on sequential timers, so you'll most likely get stopped at every traffic light you come to.. Driving is just miserable, and I cannot stress that enough. We did have a 30 minute commute when we first moved to the area, but we ended up buying a house about 5 minutes from base and life is so much easier.
    I just sent you a PM, but then read your whole post and saw you decided to buy, so ignore my PM

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by z32chick View Post

I don't know how much you've been driving in the last month or so, but they've actually totally repaved a lot of the highways recently! They were terrible, but a lot of them are very nice now
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I don't know how much you've been driving in the last month or so, but they've actually totally repaved a lot of the highways recently! They were terrible, but a lot of them are very nice now
    I was actually out the other night and noticed how nice 64 was north of 264! It's about time!! haha

When we lived in Lynnhaven and I had to commute to Little Creek, I knew which lane to be in to get the smoothest ride for whatever part of the interstate I was on Since we moved up north I haven't had to take the interstates at all, and it was a pleasant surprise!

Off Topic BUT: I read my post from above and I apologize for being such a Negative Nancy about Norfolk.. I just miss Jax really bad I ride sport bikes, and I'm really passionate about finding good roads and having a nice ride, which I haven't been able to find up here yet :-/ It's really not that bad..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast