Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: NYC area?

1. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!

NYC area?

Advertisements
    This is not something that can happen for a few years, but I've been thinking about where I want to move once I'm finished with school. I have always loved NYC, and would like to live some where relatively close.

I know there are a few of you from NY/NJ/CT do you guys have any suggestions on towns/areas that are relatively close to the city, and would be a nice area to raise a child with good schools, things to do, etc?

TIA
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I loved growing up in Westchester County. It's 30 minutes by train from my station to Grand Central and it's quiet and suburban when you go home. Another area that DH and I have looked at is Cranbury, NJ.
  3. Senior Member
    Hoboken, NJ. Fun, young, and historical mini-city. Beautiful views of NYC from across the hudson, super easy and cheap access to the city (like $2 path train) compared to a regular train ticket fare of like $8 if you live further out into the suburbs. I always liked it there. oh, and Buddy's bakery from Cake boss is there lol.
  4. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caity Rose View Post
    Hoboken, NJ. Fun, young, and historical mini-city. Beautiful views of NYC from across the hudson, super easy and cheap access to the city (like $2 path train) compared to a regular train ticket fare of like $8 if you live further out into the suburbs. I always liked it there. oh, and Buddy's bakery from Cake boss is there lol.
    I love Hoboken, I've only been there once but I really enjoyed it!

Is the cost of living quite a bit different outside the city compared to living in the city? I know it will all be relatively expensive compared to where I'm from.
  5. Regular Member
    the places the girls named above are all awesome... & pretty pricey. (I LOVE westchester)

living in Manhattan is crazy expensive. living outside is far cheaper, & you'll get more space for your money. however, someplace like Hoboken is not a whole lot cheaper than NYC.
    mostly anything in the metro area is a train ride or two away from Manhattan. . there's many places to choose from.

are you moving just to move? or are you moving for a job, or to be near a particular town in particular?

I've lived in the same city, which is right next to Hoboken, my whole life. I know a lot about the area. any questions feel free to ask!
  6. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by justjess View Post
    the places the girls named above are all awesome... & pretty pricey. (I LOVE westchester)

living in Manhattan is crazy expensive. living outside is far cheaper, & you'll get more space for your money. however, someplace like Hoboken is not a whole lot cheaper than NYC.
    mostly anything in the metro area is a train ride or two away from Manhattan. . there's many places to choose from.

are you moving just to move? or are you moving for a job, or to be near a particular town in particular?

I've lived in the same city, which is right next to Hoboken, my whole life. I know a lot about the area. any questions feel free to ask!
    I just want to move. Moving close to the city has always been something I wanted to do. It's not something that will happen soon, but I've been thinking about my future a lot lately so I was curious.