Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fort Meade Ladies -- help a sista out?

1. Senior Member

Help Fort Meade Ladies -- help a sista out?

Advertisements
    Hey Ladies!

My husband and I are about 90% sure we're going to PCS out to Fort Meade by October 1st. We find out for sure this Monday He is in MI and this is a really great opportunity for him. So although I'm a California girl and have never actually been to the DC/MD/VA area, I'm really excited about the possibility of moving out there!

We have decided to live off base, and are looking for homes in Baltimore, Columbia, Annapolis, Gambrills, Millersville or Odenton.

Again, neither one of us are even REMOTELY familiar with any of these areas. We just want a somewhat big city, no more than 20-25 miles away from Fort Meade, in a nice area with shops, restaurants, things to do...

Does anyone have feedback on the areas we're thinking of? Any other suggestions or places we should NOT consider? We are planning on flying out there mid-September to check out some options, but I thought I'd check with you all first!

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
  2. Senior Member
    We just bought our first house in Bowie, MD. It's about 20 miles away from Fort Meade. We chose Bowie because its close to Annapolis (we love going up to Annapolis), but real estate in Annapolis was too expensive. I work on Andrews AFB and my husband works at the Office of Naval Intelligence which is right outside of DC. We both have easy commutes! Bowie has some decent shopping and if we want something Bowie doesn't have, we just go to Annapolis.

A lot of people will tell you to stay away from Prince George's County completely (Bowie is in PG County). I disagree with that mindset because there are some decent areas and to dismiss an entire county due to some bad areas is just not how I think. I mean, you have to use common sense and chek out areas and form your own opinion, but I figured I'd share mine.
  3. Senior Member
    Thanks for the feedback! We will look into Bowie. I get what you're saying about the "bad areas" thing. DH and I are from Oakland CA which has a HORRIBLE reputation and some really terrible areas, but on the flipside, there are some amazing areas here too and we really love the city as a whole. I think every place has its good areas and its not-so-good areas. No sense in dismissing entire areas just because there's a bad neighborhood here or there
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango'sGirl View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! We will look into Bowie. I get what you're saying about the "bad areas" thing. DH and I are from Oakland CA which has a HORRIBLE reputation and some really terrible areas, but on the flipside, there are some amazing areas here too and we really love the city as a whole. I think every place has its good areas and its not-so-good areas. No sense in dismissing entire areas just because there's a bad neighborhood here or there
    The bad areas of PG County are REALLY bad...but I'm sure you can relate with Oakland. For example, my husband works right outside southeast DC in Suitland. When he went through N-dock...or whatever their orientation was called, he was advised to not even stop for gas near his office!

When we first got here in November of last year we rented a townhouse in Upper Marlboro, MD. Also a not-so-bad part of PG County, however we didn't want to buy there because its a little more rural. We missed being 2 minutes from a major shopping center - which is what we have in Bowie.
  5. Senior Member
    Thanks for the feedback! I do best with major shopping centers around me
  6. Senior Member
    for a few more ideas.

I know there was a previous thread re the Fort Meade area, but that was mostly focused on good school districts and living on base vs. off. My DH and I are definitely living off post and would love an area with culture and character. We're actually looking to BUY a house out there, so would love to know the most desirable areas, as if we move again, we'd need to rent it out.

TIA!
  7. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    I'm from Annapolis and LOOOOOVE it, but it's an expensive area. Arnold is right in that area but has a slightly lower cost of living. Baltimore County is cheaper than Anne Arundel county and depending on the area 30-45 minutes from Ft. Meade. DH and I live in Baltimore county All the areas you listed are nice though

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I'm from Annapolis and LOOOOOVE it, but it's an expensive area. Arnold is right in that area but has a slightly lower cost of living. Baltimore County is cheaper than Anne Arundel county and depending on the area 30-45 minutes from Ft. Meade. DH and I live in Baltimore county All the areas you listed are nice though
    Wonderful, thank you!!! We are seriously looking in Annapolis. I have a friend who works out there and loves it. She also told me Ellicott City is adorable. I'm so happy to hear the areas we're thinking of are nice. I can't wait to visit and see for myself!
  9. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Elicott city is one of my favorite places, very charming and historic. I'm sure you'll love any of those areas!

10. Senior Member
    Fab, thank you!