Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ft Meade...freaking out!!

1. Regular Member

Hello Ft Meade...freaking out!!

Advertisements
    I need any and all advice possible. We are facing our last tour before retirement and DC is looking like it is the winner! I have no reason why other than the traffic and it being a big city but it has always been my "no way in hell" duty station.

I met my husband in Pensacola, Fl. when I was 21. It was home to me since the age of 13 when we moved there from MA. From there we were stationed in Norfolk, then back to Pensacola where we did five yrs total, three there and he did two yrs in Bahrain unaccompanied while we tried to sell the house. Now we are in Australia. We really wanted CO as our last tour and geld out three sets of orders until we went needs to the NAVY. The only thing on there was Pensacola, TX or DC. DC is the best place for him to retire from but I am freaking out. I have read nothing good about schools. Also I have never lived in housing but he thinks in DC it is the best way to go. A little worried about the drama. I don't do that well. I am not in high school anymore...

My biggest concern at this point is a safe place to live and a safe and good school for the kids!!! Home is what we make it, but those two things are at the top of my list.

Someone please help me feel less stressed about tis move....

Thank you in advance!!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    You dont need to live in dc. Va and md are super close. Bah will more than cover it for you.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Ft Meade is about 30-40 miles north of DC so you don't even have to live there. You don't even have to drive to the city unless you want to work in the city.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Regular Member
    So is the Ft Meade Area a better area as far as schools and so forth? I put off college here because in AU I got paid $25 an hour for a shit job, so when we get back to USA I will attend school instead of work most likely. Thanks for your help
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yea, the area around Fort Meade is pretty city like but it's not really bad. Meade pretty much rests between DC And Baltimore. Some of the housing on post is really nice, and they list their wait times on the website, I know for E-6 the wait times aren't bad at all. but depending on your BAH and needs there are nicer places off post that are really nice. I know very little about the school situation, other than they have schools on post.

The nice part about this area is that there are a lot of places to travel and check out that are in reasonable distance like Philadelphia, va beach, ocean city, New York (well that's probably about 5 hours from there) and probably a bunch of other places that are escaping me at the moment.

With all that being said, Carroll County has a good reputation as far as school goes I believe, however the traffic your husband would have to deal with may make that a non-option as a 40 minute drive can quickly turn into an hour and a half or more because a loooootttttt of people commute in this area. Oh, and Fort Meade falls under Anne Arrundel County school district, but if you lived in Columbia (about 20 minutes), and possibly even closer than that, I believe you would be in the Howard County district so you may want to compare those two districts.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm going to go ahead and guess by your husband's bases that he's in intelligence Ft Meade is a great place for him to retire too-- tons of contracting and NSA jobs there and right around it (within 45 min or an hour driving). You'll be in prime intel country.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    do you mean schools for you or for children?

If you mean colleges for you, you will not be in shortage. There are a ton of colleges in the area, all online and brick/mortar.

I agree with Kat. Even without intelligence, DC is a great place to retire for military, lots of jobs in just about every field.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Anne Arrundel are very good schools for the kids. The whole county is actually a nice place to live. Crofton, Odenton are right there at the post basically. Close to major cities and really traffic is not horrible once you get to know the roads well enough to know the back routes.
  9. Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    We just got to Fort Meade and do far I am adjusting. We came from Tampa Fl and I dont think it is that different.
  10. Regular Member
    Yup, Intel all the way. Thats why Dc was the best option as his last tour. He knows so many people and it is the perfect place to retire from with that community around.

Yes, I meant schools for the kids. Sorry for the confusion. I think once we do some research into schools, where to live and so forth I will feel more at ease. You have helped! Thank you!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast