Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New to New Jersey

1. Regular Member

New to New Jersey

Advertisements
    Hi there. I've lived here about ten months but have had a hard time making friends. I am a very outgoing person I just feel like people on this side of the country are more closed off then those on the west coast. My husband is either deployed or on TDY all the time. Just curious if it's been like this for anyone else. Thanks for the help.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Have you found other people that you have hobbies in common with? Join a running group/book club/coupon club/bunco group/workout group? The easiest way for me to make friends at Langley was by going to Zumba classes on base and randomly talking to someone. If there is a spouses page on Facebook, join it and ask if anyone would be interested in getting together to do something that you enjoy or even just meet for coffee.

It may not be that they're more closed off, they just have a different personality than you do. If you go in thinking that they're going to be closed off then you're already putting together preconceived notions about them without getting to know them.
  3. Regular Member
    problem is that we live really far from base because of my job. I teach dance (and i do teach adult classes) and i work for a national dance production company so i travel alot. I belong to a gym and i go to classes, but it makes it difficult because I travel alot. There is also something very strange with the spousal club here. The wives that don't work are put off by those that do. It's like theres a division between everyone. Completely unlike our last station. I don't know maybe it is me, but the few people that I am close with feel the same way. It is just hard to make friends here.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Try meetup.com maybe? Are there any people in your classes that you could grab coffee with or to go for a run outside now that it's getting nicer. Or this forum may be helpful for you since you're able to have people to talk to wherever you are.
  5. Regular Member

Neener

I've reached out to a few people from my class and it hasnt worked out. I don't want to lose students if we dont click socially. I was really excited when i found this sight for that exact reason lol
  6. Regular Member
    I live in Jersey until August. I'm in Southern Jersey though, about an hour from McGuire!
  7. Regular Member
    I'm in Cherry Hill :-)
  8. Regular Member
    I'm down in Wildwood! I moved here last October, so I am still trying to make friends and connections in NJ. I think it just depends what area you are in. Sometimes you just are in an area where a lot of people have cliques, which is unfortunate. Maybe try widening your search to find some nicer people? I'm sure they are out there somewhere!