Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia ladies

1. Senior Member

Big Grin Virginia ladies

Advertisements
    Hey everyone, it's been a LONG while since I've been up here, just due to lack of time. But it looks like we're going to be headed to VA soon, just waiting on hard copy orders but his only two options were the Bush or the Eisenhower lol so Va it is. Just hoping to get any input on the best base housing to try for, or if you're not for base housing the best specific areas to look for places. Looking for a good elementary school, obviously safe neighborhood, a decent affordable gym with daycare (not really a make or break for us lol but it'd be nice) and not too bad of a commute to his work since we share a vehicle. Any information you can offer is greatly appreciated.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Best neighborhoods for families would be down in Chesapeake. The NEB Little Creek gym has a "family fitness" room where small kids can play in a glass-paneled room thing with a TV and DVD player and big foam toys to climb on. Then on the other side of the glass door is a bunch of exercise equipment for the adults. It's pretty awesome-- I've used it a few times. It's generally not busy at all and it's free since it's on base The commute length depends on where in Chesapeake you live. Virginia Beach is nice as well, but I would stay away from living in Portsmouth or Norfolk as a rule of thumb, especially since you're looking for good schools.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Senior Member
    Thanks! I noticed by browsing through the other posts that the general consensus is to try to find a place in Chesapeake or Va Beach. Any other specific town name areas to look for in my search? Since not all postings specifically say, "chesapeake or va beach" lol.

As for the gym, like I said that's not really a make or break for me I'll do some traveling to work out lol. I've tried to do the "family room" thing and it just doesn't work out. Right now I go to the Y here and it's just become a daily thing for us so I'm trying to stick with it with our move. The main things of course are safety and schools, so I'll definitely be checking into the areas you mentioned.
  4. Moderator

We lived in Va Beach for a long time. We were housing for a couple of years before living in the King's Grant neighborhood. Two of my kids went to two different schools, since my son attended a magnet school. I loved Va Beach schools and we hope to return so my son can attend high school there.

As for a gym, we used the base gym for a bit, but finally got a Y membership. It was extremely affordable, especially with how much we utilized it as a family of 5. We used the Hilltop location the most, though sometimes the kids classes would be held at the Mt. Trashmore location.
  5. Senior Member
    If you want to live in Norfolk, I highly recommend River House (please put my name down as a referral, I will PM it to you when needed). Great location to base, has a gym on property and a yoga center across the street. Brand new apartments...built in 2010 (hard to find in this area), on the river, gated, and code access buildings. LOVE this place.

"I love you gorgeous and I'm so happy you are mine."
    Our Day Has Come
  6. Regular Member
    My hubby is on the Bush! I'm not in base housing, but we are on the list for Willoughby and Shelton Circle. I think Shelton Circle is a better school district though. Supposedly, OneLife isn't too bad, but I know a lot of people that use the YMCA or Inlet Fitness. I personally use Planet Fitness, because it's 9.99 a month.

Hubby is currently attached to the U.S.S. George H.W. Bush CVN 77.
  7. Senior Member
    I live in Hampton, on Fort Monroe. We are from San Diego and just moved here in Aug. I have a four month old baby and I feel super safe in our neighborhood. we have a garage, basement with washer and dryer, a 3bed 1 bath, all utilities included for 1100. Most people say that you need to stay away from the tunnels because of traffic... but we havnt ever had a problem, and my husband is never late to work. He works in norfolk. i just heard horrible things about base housing here, so we rented this place sight unseen. look up Fort Monroe Authority. Its a really lovely place to live.
  8. Senior Member
    I live in Holly Point in Chesapeake, also DH is on the Bush. It's a really nice area and nice apartments, we've got a bedroom and it's like 900-1,000 square feet I believe. Plenty of room for just two, I'm sure the more rooms the bigger the place, and there is a small gym here in the clubhouse but no daycare as part of it.

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  9. Banned
    Banned
    We bought a house in the deep creek area of Chesapeake and LOVE our neighborhood!
  10. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    I've got a place in Virginia Beach. It's all still new to me, but I'm liking it so far. I know nothing about gyms or base information though.... But there are plenty of people in the area.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast