Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk Naval Station.... HELP????

1. Live, Laugh, Love
    Live, Laugh, Love
    Camp Pendleton....wishing i was still in Okinawa.

Norfolk Naval Station.... HELP????

Advertisements
    Hello Ladies, I'm hoping someone can give me information. My husband just received orders to the Naval Station in Norfolk and I would like to know is it better to stay on base or off base?

What areas to should we stay away from? We have 4 kids and 2 of them will be in 2nd and 3rd grade the next school year so which schools are the best?

Any information would be great.

Thanks
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I have lived in Norfolk for a few years and if you can get base housing I would. Norfolk is a very hit or miss area. There are alot of really nice places except they are one or two streets away from the hood. So if you have little ones I would recommend you stay on base and if you can't get base housing I would stay in the Oceanview area. I live there and I feel extremely safe when my fiance is on duty, its mostly older people and military families, so youll fit right in!
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Oh and as far as schools, not the best selection in Norfolk. Everyone I know has kids in private school, but I know larchmont elm is a very good school, but if you love around there stay away from any streets under 40th!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My fiance is stationed in Norfolk and when I move there we will be living in either Chesapeake or VA Beach instead
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

A good number of families stationed in Norfolk live in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach because Norfolk can be a little rough.
  6. Moderator

We were there for 12 years, stationed both in Norfolk and Oceana. VA Beach worked out best for our family. There is a commute almost everywhere.

For what BAH is, I would recommend living out on the economy versus housing. VA Beach, followed by Chesapeake, are my suggestions. We lived in a great neighborhood and my kids attended great schools. I would not put my children in Norfolk schools. They have had too many issues. I'm not a huge fan of the Ocean View area either, but you'll get differing views on everywhere in Hampton Roads.
  7. Regular Member
    DF is stationed at Little Creek in VA Beach, and It is pretty much convenient to all areas of Hampton Roads (I think). We're moving into a place near Lynnhaven at the end of this month. Areas of VB can be rough, but not as bad at Norfolk. Places like Kings Grant area and Kempsville area are nice. Lake Shores, Chic's Beach would be next on my list. We rented a place in Abingdon Park near Indian River Road before too. It was convenient to Interstate 64 and Military hwy 13. You could try Hampton too, I don't think it's too bad of a drive and housing is cheaper there IMHO.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    My ex and his wife were stationed there. The kids went to Little Creek and it wasn't a bad school district. They also lived off base and their apartment and area was beautiful. A tiny bit shady at night, but the beach access was right outside their door. I personally loved it when we went there. If you would like I could get their old apartment info for you. They lived in the Hampton Roads area right on Ocean View.
    Last edited by BigNoseKate; 01-04-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: typos
  9. Senior Member
    I would not send my kids to Norfolk public schools. I would look in VB or Chesp.
  10. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    A good number of families stationed in Norfolk live in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach because Norfolk can be a little rough.
    ditto...even "on base" housing, there was a summer either in 2009 or 2010 that gang members were breaking in Ben Morrell housing and other housing around NOB. I knew a lot of spouses that were trying to transfer to Little Creek or Oceana to live. NOt sure if any made it but i Know some that decided to move to Chesapeake and VA beach after the burglaries struck their houses.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast