Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk Sub Base

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Norfolk Sub Base

Advertisements
    Since I made a thread already about GA, now I need to make one for Norfolk. Talk to me about housing, the base, surrounding areas, everything I need to know about Norfolk so we can make an educated decision when we're ready to actually lock in orders
  2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

You couldn't pay me to live there. Traffic is insane, lots of crime, it is wicked crowded... just blech. I hated being stationed there both as a dependent and when I was active duty. The wait to get on base in the morning is horrendous, rush hour in the morning and afternoon backs traffic up to where it is stop and go on the major highways. what should only take 20 minutes could take an hour and a half.
  3. Senior Member
    I know nothing about the base. I have friends there that love the area. But are so ready to leave. Like the PPs said, rush hour sucks, crime can be bad. But really what town doesn't have that. Here is a few links for housing.

Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia Housing | Facebook

Fort Story, Virginia Housing | Facebook

NAS Oceana, Virginia housing | Facebook

There are quite a few housing areas you can pick from.
    Welcome to Naval Station Norfolk
    Welcome to Little Creek
    Oceana
    Welcome to Portsmouth/Northwest
    Welcome to Yorktown

Alot of people like to live in Chesapeake or Virginia Beach. I have 3 friends that ended up renting instead of housing. 2 ended up renting in Smithfield and 1 in Virginia Beach.

I know personally for us, we will NEVER pick orders to VA.

4. Senior Member
    Are the Subs at Norfolk or Little Creek (or both)? I love Virginia Beach, we would like to retire there. While the traffic can be a pain, just like any other larger metro area, there are so many great things to do. People are friendly, cost of living is fairly low, etc.

I personally wouldn't live in Norfolk if I had to kids in schools. I would look in VB and Chesapeake. We lived there for almost 11 years so please feel free to ask any questions. We miss the area so much.
  5. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Beach View Post
    Are the Subs at Norfolk or Little Creek (or both)? I love Virginia Beach, we would like to retire there. While the traffic can be a pain, just like any other larger metro area, there are so many great things to do. People are friendly, cost of living is fairly low, etc.

I personally wouldn't live in Norfolk if I had to kids in schools. I would look in VB and Chesapeake. We lived there for almost 11 years so please feel free to ask any questions. We miss the area so much.
    Ditto. We love it in Va Beach and will be moving back. My kids will attend VB schools, but Chesapeake has good schools, as well. I would not put my kids in Norfolk schools.

The traffic is a pain, but it's not so bad that I wouldn't want to live in the area.
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

No subs at Little creek, only at NOB and only at one pier. I think it is Pier 23 now? It used to be pier 3 but then they renumbered them right before we left. They probably have renumbered them since.

The crime there is just way too much for me. When I lived there I was at a pet store in a strip mall and ended up holed up in the back room with employees when the bank in the parking lot was robbed and some guy held everyone hostage with a shotgun. We saw police and firetrucks and went outside to look and when we saw them with guns drawn and heard pops we ran inside, locked the doors and headed to the employee room and locked THAT door.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    No subs at Little creek, only at NOB and only at one pier. I think it is Pier 23 now? It used to be pier 3 but then they renumbered them right before we left. They probably have renumbered them since.

The crime there is just way too much for me. When I lived there I was at a pet store in a strip mall and ended up holed up in the back room with employees when the bank in the parking lot was robbed and some guy held everyone hostage with a shotgun. We saw police and firetrucks and went outside to look and when we saw them with guns drawn and heard pops we ran inside, locked the doors and headed to the employee room and locked THAT door.
    Sounds scary. We lived there for over a decade and never had crime problems (sans some stupid neighborhood kids who were caught). Like everywhere else there are some great areas and some bad areas. There are so many nice areas of VB and Chesapeake that it isn't difficult to find safe areas to live and shop.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thank you for everyone's input, we appreciate it! I honestly have no idea about which base the subs we're looking at are stationed. There's a whole bunch of Virginia Class subs and one that's in the process of being built now being offered. We have lots to think/talk about both bases, now.
  9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    Thank you for everyone's input, we appreciate it! I honestly have no idea about which base the subs we're looking at are stationed. There's a whole bunch of Virginia Class subs and one that's in the process of being built now being offered. We have lots to think/talk about both bases, now.
    The subs in norfolk are fast attacks, the schedules are a LOT more unpredictable than boomers. With boomers (in Kings Bay) they don't get port calls. The fast attacks get port calls but they are gone a LOT more and for 6-7 month deployments every 18 months with lots of mini patrols and workups and stuff in between. They could only go out for 2 weeks or they could be gone 3 or 4 months.
  10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't live in Norfolk either! My dad was at Norfolk And the other base and we lived in Yorktown for the great schools.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast