Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC/Annapolis Area Towns

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas

DC/Annapolis Area Towns

Advertisements
    Sooo after vet school MF and I may be moving to this area. I will be looking for a job/internship. Question for you guys- we dont have to live near a base or anything since MF will be out of the military, but we are looking for small, quaint towns, very wealthy areas with old homes, not new homes, in nice areas with good school districts. Very preppy towns. Like, PREPPY, but not bratty.

Any ideas? I just wanna be where I will fit in and feel comfortable.
  2. Moderator

My parents live in No. Va in Winchester. It's about an hour from DC...but that's not counting traffic, so it actually takes longer. That's probably farther out than you want, but I thought I'd mention it. It's an area full of wealth and really beautiful old homes. It's a pretty historical town. The schools are fantastic too.

My parents moved there about 11 years ago, for my Dad's business.
  3. Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    There's a lot of places like that in NoVa, or even Annapolis itself is like that. Some 'burbs of B'more too. NoVa is really expensive though, but areas like Alexandria, McLean, Vienna, Falls Church, Fairfax.
  4. Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    On the MD side of DC, there's Brandywine, Crofton, Bowie, Annapolis again, Dunkirk, Pasadena. I don't know how the schools are, though. MD is pretty hit or miss when it comes to school.
  5. Senior Member
    There's Fairfax, Falls Church, and Alexandria like PP mentioned. I have several relatives from Fairfax and lived in the area when I was little. It's really nice with beautiful homes, really great schools, etc.

6. Senior Member
    One vote for Alexandria.

Best idea would be to take a vacation to the area and really drive around all the areas and spend some time there.

We're planning on DH retiring to DC suburbia and that's our plan at least. We're planning to live in NoVA though. Maybe as far as Fredericksburg though.
  7. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Alexandria. 10-15 minutes outside of DC, lots of history etc. I've lived here my whole life.

8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Annapolis to DC is a big stretch..

To go to NoVA would be quite far if you did internship in Annapolis. It really just depends on where you get your internship. It is quite easy to find they types of homes you are looking for.. MANY in downtown DC/Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria.

I live in NoVA so I'm partial to that.. but I agree with another that said you need to come here and see first before deciding.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Your description made me laugh. I am also into the "preppy" vibe.

I find Annapolis proper to be pretty preppy. My husband went to the Naval Academy so we spent tons of time there. Then we were stationed at Patuxent River NAS for 3 years and had season tickets to the football and enjoyed the area again as older folks. When I think preppy in that area I think of Old Town Alexandria, parts of Arlington, Georgetown, and maybe even old town Leesburg. Most of those have good schools but are busy and congested.

If you go south of Annapolis you will hit a small town called Huntingtown. It is on the preppy end (though, is more "upper middle class" than "blue blooded preppy"). It doesn't have the older homes you crave (which I totally understand - I love old, character-filled spaces) but it does have great schools and lots of nice neighborhoods. It is about 40 minutes from Annapolis. There is also the town of Crofton which is just to the west of Annapolis. Good schools, nice neighborhoods (some older).

I grew up in McLean, VA which is probably closer to "bratty" than "preppy" . When my husband was a test pilot we lived in St. Mary's County (an hour and 15 minutes south of Annapolis). There are a few neighborhoods (Leonardtown has a few, Solomon's Island in Calvert) that fit your bill. I also know a veterinarian down there - a high school friend of mine and she LOVES practicing there. Great quality of life, quiet atmosphere, good schools.

Good luck!
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Annapolis is probably better suited for you if you're looking for small & quaint. You could also check out St. Michaels, MD. It's about 30-40 minutes outside of Annapolis on the eastern shore of MD. Beautiful town, very quaint, lots of wealth, and great schools (both public and private).

I lived just outside of Annapolis, and DF went to the Naval Academy. I'm familiar with the area if you have any questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast