Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: VA Beach and Bicycles

1. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries

VA Beach and Bicycles

Advertisements
    I'm REALLY bored right now, and so I'm day dreaming about Virginia. (The state, not my grandmother. ) Wow, Yeah, I'm bored.

ANYHOW

Is VA Beach a good place for bike riding? Are there places along the beach that are good to ride a bike on? Any good trails or paved walkways around? Is it scary to ride on the streets there? I'm hoping to use my bike as my main source of transportation. Do you think my bike will get stolen, even if properly locked up? Anything I should avoid?

I seriously love my bike, I just hope I can use it more out there. TIA!
  2. Moderator

There are great bike paths from the Oceanfront to the Aquarium area. You will see a ton of biking Oceanfront. There are a couple of parks that have great bike paths too.

If you get an apartment near Regent, I don't know if you will want to ride your bike as your main transportation. It's a pretty congested area.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfoy View Post
    I'm REALLY bored right now, and so I'm day dreaming about Virginia. (The state, not my grandmother. ) Wow, Yeah, I'm bored.
    my grandmother's name is Virginia too .

Anyways, I have only been living here for about two months, but I know that you can ride your bike down at the Ocean front, its nice over there. Also, Mount Trashmore is in Va Beach and there is a trail, almost like a track that goes around the whole park.
    just keep swimming
  4. Preaching from the book of Johnny Cash...
    Preaching from the book of Johnny Cash...
    There are trails all over va beach. The oceanfront, mt trashmore, greatneck park, first landing state park has a lot of riding trails.

Just please stay off of shore dr. They are putting a bike lane in down by the ocean front, but it's so so so dangerous. There have been so many deaths there its not worth risking.
  5. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    There are great bike paths from the Oceanfront to the Aquarium area. You will see a ton of biking Oceanfront. There are a couple of parks that have great bike paths too.

If you get an apartment near Regent, I don't know if you will want to ride your bike as your main transportation. It's a pretty congested area.
    Are there any back roads that aren't as congested that would be easier for a bike?

Quote Originally Posted by stephaa2430 View Post
    my grandmother's name is Virginia too .

Anyways, I have only been living here for about two months, but I know that you can ride your bike down at the Ocean front, its nice over there. Also, Mount Trashmore is in Va Beach and there is a trail, almost like a track that goes around the whole park.
    Awesome! Sounds like there's plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by lilinkgirl View Post
    There are trails all over va beach. The oceanfront, mt trashmore, greatneck park, first landing state park has a lot of riding trails.

Just please stay off of shore dr. They are putting a bike lane in down by the ocean front, but it's so so so dangerous. There have been so many deaths there its not worth risking.
    Dully noted.
  6. Moderator

It's kind of hard to explain. You'll just have to see how congested it is when you get here. It's kind of hard to say until you decide where you want to live, ya know?
  7. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Makes sense. I will scope it out when I visit in November.
  8. Senior Member
    Do you have an ideas as to what part of VB you'll be living in? That might help us narrow it down. I agree with PP's about the oceanfront and the parks. Around where I live you see people riding bikes. They just have to make sure there is enough sidewalk to get where they want to go because in some places it cuts off but there seems to be plenty of side roads to get around on.

NotThatMonkey is my awesome Wifey
  9. Regular Member
    I see a ton of people riding bikes on the boardwalk, which I've never done myself but I imagine it would be really nice with the breeze coming off of the ocean. There is also a park across from 50 (something) street. There are trails and it's especially nice in the Fall because there are fewer people and it's so much cooler.