Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everything I need to know....

1. Banned
    Banned

Wow Everything I need to know....

Advertisements
    about PCSing to [Norfolk VA]?

We have 5 months to get our sh*t together so those of you who have done a PCS before, and those who live in VA...tips please!
  2. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz
    Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz

I'm not sure what tips you want... BUT, if you intend on staying out of military housing, I will say there are sketchy parts of Norfolk to avoid (We just moved to VA Beach to avoid it all). Stay away from Hampton, Newport News, areas across the bridge. Avoid a tunnel commute to ANYWHERE! If you want to live in VA Beach, stay out of Green Run and Landstown school district area's. Though that is mainly for schooling purposes.

As for the PCS, save receipts, make more copies then you think you will need,
  3. Banned
    Banned
    This is just our first PCS and I've heard all kinds of different horror stories about Norfolk. We need to find a place to live (rent) by Dec 1st (a month earlier if possible). We have 2 adults, and 1 toddler, and a pup kid eventually.

We need to know how much to budget so it's not as stressful than it already will be
  4. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz

Depends on what you want to rent. Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment will be around 1100 minimum and 1400-1700 on other places. Craiglist will sometimes have some good deals, you can check zillow for places. But looking right now is almost pointless unless you go on to apartment sites and look around, as during the summer a lot of the places do get rented.
  5. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz

Lol I think the house across the street from me is about to open up though. I have noticed them moving a lot of things out! I don't know how much the guy rents it for though. lol
  6. Senior Member
    You can find reasonably priced townhomes to rent in VA Beach. We rent a 3bed/2.5bath townhome for $1150. I don't know what base housing you'd qualify for, but I've heard bad things about the base housing in Willoughby Bay.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Your_Anz about avoiding the tunnel commute. My friend stopped by today on her way home to MD for lunch, and at 3:30pm the side to get to Hampton/Newport News was already at an 8 mile back up.
  7. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz

Quote Originally Posted by efiwyvaN View Post
    You can find reasonably priced townhomes to rent in VA Beach. We rent a 3bed/2.5bath townhome for $1150. I don't know what base housing you'd qualify for, but I've heard bad things about the base housing in Willoughby Bay.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Your_Anz about avoiding the tunnel commute. My friend stopped by today on her way home to MD for lunch, and at 3:30pm the side to get to Hampton/Newport News was already at an 8 mile back up.
    Not too mention that Hampton and Newport News frequent the news with some sort of shooting or robbery.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Your_Anz View Post
    Not too mention that Hampton and Newport News frequent the news with some sort of shooting or robbery.

OP, I don't know if you know about this site, but when we were looking at places, I checked the addresses out on SpotCrime Crime Map It'll list what kind of activity has gone on and the dates, so you can see if it's been recent or not.
  9. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

you can look on ahrn.com too.
  10. Moderator

There's good places in almost any of the 7 cities of Hampton Roads. I would not live in Norfolk though, due to their schools just not being up to par with all the other schools.

When I was married to my exDH, we lived on the Peninsula (Hampton, Newport News) for awhile and he was at NOB. The drive was actually much shorter than when we moved to Va Beach. Yes, there's a tunnel, but it's just a road underwater. There's traffic everywhere in Hampton Rds. My BFF just bought an amazing house in Hampton and her son goes to a wonderful public school. Not all of the Peninsula is bad.

We lived in housing in Va Beach before moving on the economy. Housing is ok there, but for BAH, you can get a good place out in town. Va Beach has great schools too.

You can find good rentals on craigslist, zillow, and ahrn.com. My biggest advice is to see the rental in the daylight AND the night. If you can't look, have someone in the area do it for you. If you have any questions, let me know. We lived there for 11 years and are moving back next summer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast