Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk Ladies?

1. Banned
    Banned

Neener Norfolk Ladies?

Advertisements
    Everyone! Welp, DH and I made it official...sorta. We are staying in! He didn't even go to the Intel Job interview he was going to today.

Currently our status is: selected for orders to Norfolk.

We found a super cute apartment that we are considering. We plan to live in it for a year while we look for a house to buy .

Anyone wanna check it out if they get bored? Check out the area?

The name of the complex is: Signature Place in Hampton, VA. http://signatureplaceva.com/index.ph...yoverview.html

DH already checked the distance from base and is OK with it.

Also: if we get the orders we could be there as soon as Dec or as late as March

Now if they would just cut the orders so we knew when. How long does it take from when you are selected to when you hear?
  2. Senior Member
    Wow! San Diego to Norfolk.. that is going to be a big change!!

Congrats!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The one thing about living in Hampton is that the commute to and from Norfolk is going to be horrendous because there's really only one way (the bridge/tunnel) to go. So keep in mind that what may look like a 15 min commute can be 30 or 45 min.

Also, Hampton tends to have a pretty high crime rate. I didn't know that until recently when several ladies on here told me and I looked up the statistics.

ETA: Just a link for you...
    http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/va/...-bethel/#crime
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerPickle View Post
    Wow! San Diego to Norfolk.. that is going to be a big change!!

Congrats!
    I'm from FL, so it'll be a POSITIVE change

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    The one thing about living in Hampton is that the commute to and from Norfolk is going to be horrendous because there's really only one way (the bridge/tunnel) to go. So keep in mind that what may look like a 15 min commute can be 30 or 45 min.

Also, Hampton tends to have a pretty high crime rate. I didn't know that until recently when several ladies on here told me and I looked up the statistics.
    Yeah, DH knows about the tunnel. Apparently he's cool with it so I'll leave that to him . As for the crime rate, I'll look into it.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh and here ya go for looking at all of the local areas

Virginia Real Estate Information - NeighborhoodScout
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    My DH was stationed in Norfolk and we lived in Oyster Point in Newport News. The commute was torture due to the bridge/tunnel. It gets backed up very morning and afternoon and takes anywhere from 25 min. to an hour to get through depending. And heaven forbid there is bad weather. The other way to get to from Hampton to Norfolk is also a bridge/tunnel. Just a heads up. That area of Hampton actually isn't too bad. There are very nice parts of Hampton. The crime rate gets a bad wrap cause downtown Newport News and the projects are so close to the edge of Hampton and it spills over. Feel free to PM me if you need anymore info. I lived there for 5 years. I actually really liked it. Good Luck!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaStrong View Post
    I'm from FL, so it'll be a POSITIVE change

Yeah, DH knows about the tunnel. Apparently he's cool with it so I'll leave that to him . As for the crime rate, I'll look into it.
    I think they are going to put tolls on the tunnels within the next 15mo. Last I heard it was $3 each way. There is NO WAY I would move into a house knowing it was on the "wrong side" of the water from where dh was working. Dh had to deal with the tunnel for 3 years and it was horrible. It could take him upwards of two hrs to get home because of traffic. (25-30min no traffic) We bought our house when he was stationed in VB ...but he got orders a few years later to Newport News.

I would also be very leery about Hampton, are your kids in school?
  8. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    Here's a report based on the address of that apartment complex:

Local Health Safety and Environmental Information - What you need to know
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post

ETA: Just a link for you...
    Big Bethel / Riverdale 23666 Hampton, VA Neighborhood Profile

I live in Hampton because DH is at Langley. Not by choice at all. If you want to live on this side of the tunnel look into Yorktown/York County.
  10. Senior Member
    We just got here recently, but I'd suggest looking in the VA Beach, Chesapeake, and parts of Suffolk. That tunnel traffic can be outrageous. We're in VA Beach (DH is at NOB) and his commute is 30mins on a bad day.

Hope he gets the official orders soon (and that they don't change).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast