Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here from or familiar with Maryland? (cities I may move too posts 8 & 9 lol)

1. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.

Anyone here from or familiar with Maryland? (cities I may move too posts 8 & 9 lol)

Advertisements
    There is a chance we may end up in Maryland soon( Patuxent River, MD area). DH is getting out of the Navy in August and he got an AMAZING job offer from a company that pays really really well. The job opening isn't in Florida though, where we were expecting to go, it's in Maryland. His home town is in Florida so hence why that is where he's been looking to get an idea of what jobs he'd be able to get once we're there.

I'm not sure exactly what part of Maryland. Since all he told me was the job offer is in Maryland, but I'm expecting a decent sized city since he'd working with a national company(they have some places everywhere from CA to Maryland). Lol

Anyways, since I maybe living in Maryland before the year is over(maybe still going to Florida I dunno at this point). I'd love to know just in general what people love about the area/hate about the area. What is housing like? What are good areas and bad areas to live in?

I'm not a big city person laid back more country/small town feel areas is what I love. Which from Google searches the state seems very pretty, and petty relaxed/peaceful looking compared to areas/states I'm used too. I'm sure the cities are like just about any other city , but what about the rest of the state outside the main city areas?

Any information no matter how general or little it is is much appropriated! The farthest north and east I've ever been/lived was Virginia.
    Last edited by LoveMikeyBear; 06-03-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Signature removed due to size.
  2. Senior Member
    My ex boyfriends family lives in Maryland/Delaware so I've been all over that border and in ocean city. I really like it there, it's very relaxed and pretty IMO and I don't believe that area has a high crime rate. The only bad thing I know of is that everything shuts down for the winter. They told me ocean city becomes a ghost town for months.
  3. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    My ex boyfriends family lives in Maryland/Delaware so I've been all over that border and in ocean city. I really like it there, it's very relaxed and pretty IMO and I don't believe that area has a high crime rate. The only bad thing I know of is that everything shuts down for the winter. They told me ocean city becomes a ghost town for months.
    Thanks for the info. I like quiet but ghost town for months? Kinda makes me think melting in Florida sounds better! Lol

Then yeah the living where it actually snows is the part I'm not sure if I'm thrilled about. Being trapped in the house for days? Likely with DD, a cat, DD if he doesn't get snowed in at works, and maybe in about a year or two a baby? No thank you.

I know if we move there I'll have to get some new parts put on/in my car, and of course new tires as well just for the weather we'd see over there. That and sense it's further than DH's home town the Navy wouldn't pay to move us there so it'd be us paying to move everything there 100% out of pocket.

It's where the highest paying job offer he's gotten is so far though, and it'd be worth us even paying for the move instead of the Navy doing it for free if he gets the job...

So we'll see I am just trying to get some kind of idea where we may end up. I'm a planner and hate all this up in the air stuff. It'd be nice to know for sure if I need to spend close to a grand upgrading my car to be able to not stall out in snow or not. Lol....
  4. Banned
    Banned
    they will pay to get you the distance from where your stationed to the HOR- and then will bill you for the distance.

in cases like this I always suggest doing a full PPM- and being very frugal- there is a good chance you could move with very little out of pocket costs
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

It will really depend on what part of Maryland you will be in. The DE side or DC side, closer to PA or WV. There are larger cities like Baltimore, Annapolis, DC, and small country towns. The DE side you are hour tops from bigger towns if out in the sticks. We are in DE and it is pretty central for us to get to DC, BWI, VA, Philly, NYC, etc.
    Last edited by SandyKay; 06-03-2012 at 05:01 PM.

6. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    they will pay to get you the distance from where your stationed to the HOR- and then will bill you for the distance.

in cases like this I always suggest doing a full PPM- and being very frugal- there is a good chance you could move with very little out of pocket costs
    That is good to know I'll share this with my husband when he gets home tomorrow. Thanks!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    It will really depend on what part of Maryland you will be in. The DE side or DC side, closer to PA or WV. There are larger cities like Baltimore, Annapolis, DE, and small country towns. The DE side you are hour tops from bigger towns if out in the sticks. We are in DE and it is pretty central for us to get to DC, BWI, VA, Philly, NYC, etc.
    This is pretty much what I was gonna say. It depends on what you will need to be near.
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  8. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    It will really depend on what part of Maryland you will be in. The DE side or DC side, closer to PA or WV. There are larger cities like Baltimore, Annapolis, DE, and small country towns. The DE side you are hour tops from bigger towns if out in the sticks. We are in DE and it is pretty central for us to get to DC, BWI, VA, Philly, NYC, etc.

DH said Patuxent River, MD is were he'd be working.
  9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Also apparently possibly Solomons, MD

Annapolis Jct, MD

OR

Baltimore, MD

(All the same basic job just different companies offering the same basic job that he's interested in.. Which just makes my head hurt more, because there are to many options considering we're moving in August.... )
  10. Senior Member
    Well i'm from/in Baltimore. Depends on city or county. I will say no matter where in Baltimore they're all shitty drivers Idk about good things cause it's the only place I've ever lived, I don't have anything to compare it to lol
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast