Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk??

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Nutts Norfolk??

Advertisements
    Talk to me about Norfolk, VA, please! We just got to Guam from Hawaii in mid-April and DH's rotation date was supposed to be in February of 2013 HOWEVER our chief did some personal digging and, apparently, my husband is being poached for a new construction of a submarine and would be transferred to Norfolk, if we accept, in November.

Honestly, after 4 years total of living on an island, the east coast is like a dream. Plus we'd be halfway between my family and my in-laws and close to friends who just moved to Norfolk and Maryland last year.

Any information is helpful!! Rent prices off base? Grocery? Gas? Entertainment/stuff to do with a toddler? How is the area? Any places we should avoid in looking for a house? (We will probably be off-base unless we're offered a minimum of a 3BR/2BA house on base) Pet friendly?

I'm kinda going crazy here having JUST finished one move and already talking about another

Oh, to those of you who are FB friends, please don't post anything about Norfolk. We haven't spoken to either of our families and would rather tell them after we accept and get our orders (since we'll be getting them fast once we accept ) in a cute way to say we'll be closer
  2. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Cost of Living in Norfolk, VA, United States. Prices in Norfolk, VA.

Lots of info at the above link.

Norfolk/Va Bch, ie..Hampton Roads area is a large bustling area with a lot of businesses offering military discount. Each city has Recreation Center. Norfolk base, Little Creek and Oceana all have commissaries and exchanges. There are a lot of activities scheduled on each base ( movie theaters, bowling alleys, plenty of activities for children). MWR offers many discount tickets for all the sightseeing activities (concerts, parks ect)

It a very busy place. Crime is somewhat high and traffic is a nightmare.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    Cost of Living in Norfolk, VA, United States. Prices in Norfolk, VA.

Lots of info at the above link.

Norfolk/Va Bch, ie..Hampton Roads area is a large bustling area with a lot of businesses offering military discount. Each city has Recreation Center. Norfolk base, Little Creek and Oceana all have commissaries and exchanges. There are a lot of activities scheduled on each base ( movie theaters, bowling alleys, plenty of activities for children). MWR offers many discount tickets for all the sightseeing activities (concerts, parks ect)

It a very busy place. Crime is somewhat high and traffic is a nightmare.

Thanks! I figured on the traffic but that's nothing really new for us considering we did 2+ years in Hawaii.

That link is great! It's interesting to see it all laid out like that. Everything seems cheaper than Hawaii and here so that's cool

Are there many alternative grocery stores, aside from commy? It would be nice to actually have places to play prices off each other, again.
  4. Looking for the sunshine...

Oh sure..the large chains are Food Lion and Farm Fresh. Then there's Kroger's, Th,e Fresh Market. Sam's Club, BJ's, Costco's and Walmart.
  5. Looking for the sunshine...

Hampton Roads is the name for the Norfolk-Virginia Beach metropolitan area in southeastern Virginia. Hampton Roads is home to the major United States Navy, Air Force and Army bases. It also is home to NASA and Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding. The area is also full of historical landmarks and miles of beaches. *

Hampton Roads metro area, VA Events May 2012 Calendar - Eventful

TrafficLand.com -- Hampton Roads, VA

Hampton Roads Virginia Things to do
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh sure..the large chains are Food Lion and Farm Fresh. Then there's Kroger's, Th,e Fresh Market. Sam's Club, BJ's, Costco's and Walmart.
    Yay!

Hampton Roads is the name for the Norfolk-Virginia Beach metropolitan area in southeastern Virginia. Hampton Roads is home to the major United States Navy, Air Force and Army bases. It also is home to NASA and Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding. The area is also full of historical landmarks and miles of beaches. *

Hampton Roads metro area, VA Events May 2012 Calendar - Eventful

TrafficLand.com -- Hampton Roads, VA

Hampton Roads Virginia Things to do
    Jayo, you're my hero! Thanks for all of that!!
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    We can have a get together in dec if you move

My dad was stationed at Norfolk. We lived across the water in Yorktown because of low crime wayy better schools.

Traffic can be a nightmare if your not use to it. I grew up with it so no big deal to me.

There is EVERYTHING to do in va! Surfing, skiing, water parks, busch gardens. All withing 3-4 hours depending where you live and dc is a great day trip place to see the zoo and things.
    Obx is great for cheap summer vacations renting a beach house so miss doing that!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    And there is me just about 4 hrs away!! I can't tell you how. Oil it would be if you moved closer. I grew up in Norfolk. So I only know from a child's pov. But learned to drive in traffic. You'll be done there. Don't forget you'll loose COLA. So make sure you deduct that when making plans. My SIL live in hampton in a decent area and works at NOB. Says the drives not to bad.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Very child-friendly area. There are a gajillion moms groups in the area, lots of playgrounds (Mount Trashmore is great, so is Grommet Island Park [aka playground for every body, as it is handicapped-accessible]). Libraries around here have song and storytime circles for free every week, so that can be fun. Traffic is horrendous during commute times. Weather is pretty mild during the winter, hot and humid in the summer (though you've been on an island, so it might be pretty nice to you lol).

Parking, even downtown or at the beach, is some of the easiest I've seen. But then, I'm used to notoriously awful parking, so I'm biased. Parking at Portsmouth Naval Hospital (the local MTF) though? Hooooooorribile! At like 38 weeks pregnant, I once jumped out of our moving car and body-blocked someone else's car to get a parking spot (DH was driving), because we had been looking for over 30 min and we were going to miss my appointment. So yeah, if you ever go to NMCP (Naval Medical Center Portsmouth), go early to find parking.

Crime can be bad, especially in Norfolk and Portsmouth. Newport News, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach are some of the lower crime areas. Newport News, though, you have to go through a tunnel to get to work (at NS Norfolk, which for a sub, is I'm guessing where he's going), which is a bit of a nightmare. I recommend living somewhere where he won't have to go over a bridge or through a tunnel to get to work. When there's an accident on one, they can back up really badly or even close, which really screws the people commuting.

There's a decent variety of food-- especially a lot of seafood. There are a lot of common restaurant chains. The malls are eh-- I don't know what they were like where you're coming from, but in Colorado, they had really luxurious, fabulous malls, so I'm a bit spoiled. There's a performing arts center, so you can see travelling musicals (Wicked played a little while back), ballets, etc. And if you can't find what you're looking for in Hampton Roads, chances are that you can find it in Richmond 1 1/2 hrs away.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Very child-friendly area. There are a gajillion moms groups in the area, lots of playgrounds (Mount Trashmore is great, so is Grommet Island Park [aka playground for every body, as it is handicapped-accessible]). Libraries around here have song and storytime circles for free every week, so that can be fun. Traffic is horrendous during commute times. Weather is pretty mild during the winter, hot and humid in the summer (though you've been on an island, so it might be pretty nice to you lol).

Parking, even downtown or at the beach, is some of the easiest I've seen. But then, I'm used to notoriously awful parking, so I'm biased. Parking at Portsmouth Naval Hospital (the local MTF) though? Hooooooorribile! At like 38 weeks pregnant, I once jumped out of our moving car and body-blocked someone else's car to get a parking spot (DH was driving), because we had been looking for over 30 min and we were going to miss my appointment. So yeah, if you ever go to NMCP (Naval Medical Center Portsmouth), go early to find parking.

Crime can be bad, especially in Norfolk and Portsmouth. Newport News, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach are some of the lower crime areas. Newport News, though, you have to go through a tunnel to get to work (at NS Norfolk, which for a sub, is I'm guessing where he's going), which is a bit of a nightmare. I recommend living somewhere where he won't have to go over a bridge or through a tunnel to get to work. When there's an accident on one, they can back up really badly or even close, which really screws the people commuting.

There's a decent variety of food-- especially a lot of seafood. There are a lot of common restaurant chains. The malls are eh-- I don't know what they were like where you're coming from, but in Colorado, they had really luxurious, fabulous malls, so I'm a bit spoiled. There's a performing arts center, so you can see travelling musicals (Wicked played a little while back), ballets, etc. And if you can't find what you're looking for in Hampton Roads, chances are that you can find it in Richmond 1 1/2 hrs away.
    Newport news is a pretty high crime HORRILBE school area. We actually moved so my sister and I could go to better schools. My parents couldn't afford private school for both of us (I was in private at the time) and my sister was getting into the wrong group of people in newport news.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast