Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naval Air Station, Oceana Virginia?

1. intothedark

Naval Air Station, Oceana Virginia?

Advertisements
    DB is getting stationed there for A school and he might be stationed there permenantly afterwards. Is anyone living there or have lived there?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    No, but we are moving there in May!
  3. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    Yep. Welcome! I am from the area and right now we live in Newport News. My DH worked at Oceana for almost 10 years.Va Beach has become a little crowded but is still a nice area to live in.
  4. intothedark
    Oh, I'm not moving there yet Maybe in a couple years. But I'm one of those really curious girlfriends! Do you like the base? Whats the weather like?
  5. Loving my sailor!
    Loving my sailor!
    I live in Va Beach right now! And the Oceana Air base is 5 min. from where i live! I looove the Va. Beach area. My Dh is stationed in Norfolk. But we didnt like the area so thats why we are in Va Beach.
  6. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    I like the area. When we moved back from Great Lakes last year we chose to live in Newport News because Va Beach is becoming so built up.(not that NN is any better) Their is alot to do and see. Summers are very hot and humid and winters are pretty mild.
  7. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    we were there from 2002-2003. Hated the area (& dreadded moving back here!)

It's all about the person... If you're a small town type person, it's not for you. If you're used to the hustle & bustle of the city, you'll fit right in!

Oceana isn't that big of a base (compared to other bases we've been on). It has a newer NEX, which is a good size, a nice commissary. Base housing isn't anything worth writing home about. You should get used to jet noise, that's something that will wake you up from your sleep during the first few months! Weather is very unpredictable ..... hot one day, cold the next. I get sick so easily because of it!

8. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    Quote Originally Posted by AG3Wife View Post
    we were there from 2002-2003. Hated the area (& dreadded moving back here!)

It's all about the person... If you're a small town type person, it's not for you. If you're used to the hustle & bustle of the city, you'll fit right in!

Oceana isn't that big of a base (compared to other bases we've been on). It has a newer NEX, which is a good size, a nice commissary. Base housing isn't anything worth writing home about. You should get used to jet noise, that's something that will wake you up from your sleep during the first few months! Weather is very unpredictable ..... hot one day, cold the next. I get sick so easily because of it!
    But I am from this area so I have had most of my life to get use to it. Except jet moise. Thats a big pain in the ass.
  9. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Quote Originally Posted by AOCWife View Post
    Except jet moise. Thats a big pain in the ass.
    hehe! that makes me think of the bumper stickers I saw down there "I Love Jet Noise" and "Jet noise is the sound of freedom" ... yeah I agree until I get woken up at 2am by it or if Im trying to hold a conversation & I can't hear myself talk!

10. I love my Boys!
    I love my Boys!
    I grew up in Hampton roads and I really like it there...the trafiic does suck but that is because there are so many bases and shipyards so close in that area...But once you learn the times that are good to drive and not to drive it isn't that bad. There are alot of things to do in that area and you will never be bored. As well as they have actual seasons, which I miss!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast