Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Got our orders for New London Naval base

1. Senior Member

Got our orders for New London Naval base

Advertisements
    Anyone in Groton? Teach me o wise ones!!
  2. Senior Member
    i live in mass.. soo semi close to the base. its a gorgeous area!
  3. Senior Member
    I have no info, but there is a FB group. Navy wives of Groton They should be full of info.

Here is a groton mom's fb group groton mom's

Here is a military wives of groton fb group Military wives of groton

4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SubmarineWife View Post
    I have no info, but there is a FB group. Navy wives of Groton They should be full of info.

Here is a groton mom's fb group groton mom's

Here is a military wives of groton fb group Military wives of groton
    Awesome. Thanks!!!
  5. Regular Member
    Are you guys going to be on a boat or shore duty??
    From my experience people either love it or hate it. lol
  6. The army may have my man, but I have his heart.
    The army may have my man, but I have his heart.
    Blog Entries
    I have always lived in CT...you obviously have your rough parts but some are just so beautiful (especially now)!!!
  7. Senior Member
    I'm right near there, and DH is a fire fighter on base...what do you want to know?
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SubWife4Life View Post
    Are you guys going to be on a boat or shore duty??
    From my experience people either love it or hate it. lol
    Shore duty.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyMama View Post
    I'm right near there, and DH is a fire fighter on base...what do you want to know?
    Everything!
  9. Senior Member
    I am in Groton. The base is pretty small compared to a lot of other bases. Its a training command so a ton of sub school kids. The Nex and commisary are ok...not the best ive seen but definitley not the worst haha. And the prices at the commisary are much better than out in town I save a lot. The only thing I dont really buy is the produce there and for that there is a stop and shop right up the road or a Big Y a little further down route 12. Traffic isnt bad in the area which is good. DH said traffic is good until 7 and then it gets pretty hectic until 745 but that its nothing like Virginia. Housing is owned by Balfour Beatty. Not sure if you wwant to be in housing. We have had a wonderful experience here. A lot of homes have garages and are new or newly renovated both in and out or atleast one of the two. There are kids everywhere! There are three elementary schools surrounding housing that I have heard good things about. Not great things though about the middle schools and high school. There are plenty of surrounding churches as well. And a dog park close to base and housing if you have dogs. We are bout 45 minutes from providence rhode island and 2 hours from boston and new york city. 2 airports are semi close, Bradley up by hartford and providence. Of course there is also logan in boston and JFK in NYC. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me as well. We have not liked it here but that was maninly because of our experience on his boat. I agree with one of the previous posters you either love it or hate it! I know a lot of friends that want to stay here forever. Hope this helped.
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sahman View Post
    I am in Groton. The base is pretty small compared to a lot of other bases. Its a training command so a ton of sub school kids. The Nex and commisary are ok...not the best ive seen but definitley not the worst haha. And the prices at the commisary are much better than out in town I save a lot. The only thing I dont really buy is the produce there and for that there is a stop and shop right up the road or a Big Y a little further down route 12. Traffic isnt bad in the area which is good. DH said traffic is good until 7 and then it gets pretty hectic until 745 but that its nothing like Virginia. Housing is owned by Balfour Beatty. Not sure if you wwant to be in housing. We have had a wonderful experience here. A lot of homes have garages and are new or newly renovated both in and out or atleast one of the two. There are kids everywhere! There are three elementary schools surrounding housing that I have heard good things about. Not great things though about the middle schools and high school. There are plenty of surrounding churches as well. And a dog park close to base and housing if you have dogs. We are bout 45 minutes from providence rhode island and 2 hours from boston and new york city. 2 airports are semi close, Bradley up by hartford and providence. Of course there is also logan in boston and JFK in NYC. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me as well. We have not liked it here but that was maninly because of our experience on his boat. I agree with one of the previous posters you either love it or hate it! I know a lot of friends that want to stay here forever. Hope this helped.
    Thanks! We will be living in Military housing. It's just easier with our kids.