Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Ft Belvoir or Joint Base Anacosta

1. Senior Member

Ft Belvoir or Joint Base Anacosta

Advertisements
    Anybody know who the housing office is? Learn me about the school system, taxes (personal property etc?) public transit, traffic...ANYTHING!!! Please!!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    NoVa has a pretty crappy public transport system.... Unless your right next to a bus stop, be prepared to walk a LOT to and from stops. The metro is great for going in an out of DC (see traffic for more details on that)

Traffic really depends on where you are going and what time of day... you could go from point A to point B at 8am and it take 2 hours, and go at 11 and it take 30 minutes.

Not sure about the schools on base, off base my understanding is they are fairly decent.

PPT in NoVa is generally a bit on the pricey side, but that depends on where you are going from. I assume your looking to live off base?
  3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by His♥PITA View Post
    NoVa has a pretty crappy public transport system.... Unless your right next to a bus stop, be prepared to walk a LOT to and from stops. The metro is great for going in an out of DC (see traffic for more details on that)

Traffic really depends on where you are going and what time of day... you could go from point A to point B at 8am and it take 2 hours, and go at 11 and it take 30 minutes.

Not sure about the schools on base, off base my understanding is they are fairly decent.

PPT in NoVa is generally a bit on the pricey side, but that depends on where you are going from. I assume your looking to live off base?
    I actually think we'd like to live on Ft Belvoir or (my top pick) Joint Base Anacosta. That's the closest to DC. My husband if he gets through the whole special project process will work ALL the time and I'd like to be as close as possible to DC (so we can get the most out of his off time) and Anacosta is the closest.

We both have cars, but are interested in finding out more on the metro for DH's daily commute...

Here in San Diego I "choiced" my daughters school, which is basically a process where you apply for a other than your neighborhood school...and she got it and I love it...But moving I'll have to set her up for school there for next school year...also wondering if they have a state preschool program...cause my twins are in one here...and I'd love for them to go again there, but it's free here.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Inshockmom View Post
    I actually think we'd like to live on Ft Belvoir or (my top pick) Joint Base Anacosta. That's the closest to DC. My husband if he gets through the whole special project process will work ALL the time and I'd like to be as close as possible to DC (so we can get the most out of his off time) and Anacosta is the closest.

We both have cars, but are interested in finding out more on the metro for DH's daily commute...

Here in San Diego I "choiced" my daughters school, which is basically a process where you apply for a other than your neighborhood school...and she got it and I love it...But moving I'll have to set her up for school there for next school year...also wondering if they have a state preschool program...cause my twins are in one here...and I'd love for them to go again there, but it's free here.
    A lot of people use the Metro to commute into DC. Its a bit daunting at first, but after a few times its pretty easy to get the hang of. Just a matter to figuring out what time you need to arrive at work, how far it is from the closets metro stop (how long it would take you to walk), when the trains arrive at that stop, how long the ride is so you get there in time, when the train leaves your original station, and when you have leave home by to get a parking spot (or people to carpool with). Promise, a lot easier done then said and the DC metro website can pretty much do all of this except the when to leave the house stuff.

I believe in some places you can apply to go to a different school, but I am not sure how that works. I am almost positive VA has a free/discounted Head Start program, but I do not know the requirements for it.
  5. Senior Member

A lot of people use the Metro to commute into DC. Its a bit daunting at first, but after a few times its pretty easy to get the hang of. Just a matter to figuring out what time you need to arrive at work, how far it is from the closets metro stop (how long it would take you to walk), when the trains arrive at that stop, how long the ride is so you get there in time, when the train leaves your original station, and when you have leave home by to get a parking spot (or people to carpool with). Promise, a lot easier done then said and the DC metro website can pretty much do all of this except the when to leave the house stuff.

I believe in some places you can apply to go to a different school, but I am not sure how that works. I am almost positive VA has a free/discounted Head Start program, but I do not know the requirements for it.
    Thanks!! I have been tryingt to get some research done, but my kiddos have differnt plans for me.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Metro - Rail - Maps - Rail/Google Map

There is the metro webpage, I believe the closest stop to Belvoir is Springfield (last stop on the blue line), and Anacostia would be Anacostia on the green line.
  7. Senior Member

Metro - Rail - Maps - Rail/Google Map

There is the metro webpage, I believe the closest stop to Belvoir is Springfield (last stop on the blue line), and Anacostia would be Anacostia on the green line.
    Awesome. Thanks!!
  8. Senior Member

Finally found some good sites for both places. Great looking houses, but I may now lean towards FT Belvoir cause they have 5 bedroom options. Now FT Belvoir is an Army post and we're Navy...does anyone know the Army's housing policy based on dependents?