Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk/VA Beach info please :)

1. Senior Member

Norfolk/VA Beach info please :)

Advertisements
    We might be moving back to Norfolk/VA beach area in the fall. My husband will be at the Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base. Just curious what are some affordable apartments or townhomes in that area (maybe on Independence Blvd or close by there to work). Also, what are the schools like? Anyone have any kids in schools that they love/ hate?
    Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks so much
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I live about 10 minutes (15-20 in traffic) from Little Creek, over by Wesleyan and Independence. I live in the Cypress Crossing Townhomes, which are wonderful, but I'm not sure that any are available for rent right now. However, anywhere by Cypress Point Drive and Wesleyan is in a nice area and they have a BUNCH of townhomes. And they're all about the same distance to the base, but aren't right on the main street Independence, so you get a little bit of seclusion. I'm not sure on schools because my daughter is still too young for them, but there are several right nearby.

Also, our rent and utilities are 100% covered by E-5 BAH with dependents, though we don't have much left over.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Senior Member
    Thats awesome to hear about the utilities being covered with your BAH. thats hard to find.
    I am looking for either a spacious 3 bedroom (so we can put the boys together in 1 room and use the other room as storage) or looking for a spacious 2 bedroom with a garage- but a garage seems to be hard to find around there.
  4. Senior Member
    I cant seem to find it on internet- is in the golf course?
    We also have a lab- so we need something that will allow large dogs
  5. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Nothing in that city is affordable. But we're moving into Linkhorn Bay.

Summer Station Apartments is pretty notorious for allowing large animals.. they even allow pits! That was our second choice.. they're nice.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Ooh definitely listen to Kiley because she's the most recent on any of us at looking for housing-- I was looking last summer. But yeah, it's the neighborhood in the golf course. I have a 2 bdrm (1550 sqft) with a 1 car garage. My landlord doesn't allow pets though!
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. Regular Member
    We are living at Little Creek in base housing. Waterford Apartments, Mariner's Cove, annnd there's another right near the intersection of Northampton and Independence, I can't remember the name right now. Those all look pretty decent, and they're very close and convenient to the base, and to Hermitage Elementary. If you live in the 23455 zip I believe your zone will either be Hermitage or Shelton Park. My son goes to Hermitage and we really like the school and his teachers.
  8. Regular Member
    Base housing comes with 3-4 bedrooms and a garage, if that's an option for you guys. And they allow 2 pets, including pits and Rotts, and the units have private fenced backyards.
  9. Senior Member
    I wish we could just live in base housing, but we will only be there for 8 months for a school for his MOS, so we don't qualifiy to live in base housing. We were there before for another school course- and we lived in Maple Bay Townhomes.. But don't want to live there again.. looking for something closer to base and bigger.
  10. Regular Member
    DB is currently living (and I will be there in another two months also :-)) in Waterford right across the street from the Naval Amphibious base since that is where he is also. They are nice but very small and do not allow pets.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast