Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk ladies

1. Senior Member

Norfolk ladies

Advertisements
    We will be moving there mid February. I do not have the slightest idea of good areas to live in. Please respond with good cities or areas!!!
  2. Senior Member
    Va Beach and Chesapeake if you plan on living out in town. If you want to live in housing, its a good time. Lincoln Military Housing is getting some bad press for mold, but the bad press is making them renovate all the homes to make sure they are safer and mold-free. They are sending people to inspect and test all the homes- I know I had mine done by three different people over yesterday and today.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenAZ View Post
    Va Beach and Chesapeake if you plan on living out in town. If you want to live in housing, its a good time. Lincoln Military Housing is getting some bad press for mold, but the bad press is making them renovate all the homes to make sure they are safer and mold-free. They are sending people to inspect and test all the homes- I know I had mine done by three different people over yesterday and today.
    What housing do you live in? whats the crime in the area? I heard its not so nice living in base housing...
  4. Senior Member
    I live in Willoughby Bay housing. Its right outside the base gates and I feel safe here. Safer than I did in my apartment in Va beach to be honest. They have a courtesy patrol that are retired or off duty police officers(at least thats how they described them when I asked) that drive around in a blue SUV with yellow flashing lights patrolling. Its with the company Signal 88 and you can call them anytime during the night about suspicious persons, excessive noise, etc. They've always responded quickly and gotten things resolved for me. We have quite a bit of car break ins in the not so well lit visitor parking lots but its almost always because people leave their garmin, tomtom ,etc in their car. We've never had anyone try to break into our home or car. I walk my dog alone in the evening occasionally and feel fine about it- and I'm a big scaredy-cat

Also- they carry some kind of weapon- I was told a gun or taser/pepper spray. It use to just be a guy walking the grounds with a baton. So I feel much safer since they began with the new company
  5. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

I've lived all over Norfolk, one spot in Chesapeake, and now back in Virginia Beach. I've been here for 9 years now. A lot of people say Norfolk is too "ghetto" for them. I loved living in Norfolk. I've stayed in a number of different apartments. I think I have a complex about needing to move often. lol

6. Senior Member
    I live in Willoughby Bay housing. Its right outside the base gates and I feel safe here. Safer than I did in my apartment in Va beach to be honest. They have a courtesy patrol that are retired or off duty police officers(at least thats how they described them when I asked) that drive around in a blue SUV with yellow flashing lights patrolling. Its with the company Signal 88 and you can call them anytime during the night about suspicious persons, excessive noise, etc. They've always responded quickly and gotten things resolved for me. We have quite a bit of car break ins in the not so well lit visitor parking lots but its almost always because people leave their garmin, tomtom ,etc in their car. We've never had anyone try to break into our home or car. I walk my dog alone in the evening occasionally and feel fine about it- and I'm a big scaredy-cat

Also- they carry some kind of weapon- I was told a gun or taser/pepper spray. It use to just be a guy walking the grounds with a baton. So I feel much safer since they began with the new company
    That makes me nervous. Are there no garages? I dont think ive seen a place with a garage in all of Virginia unless you are paying 3,000 a month. I want to live in government housing and have the navy move us because this was so last minute i dont think we will have the money for a deposit...
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatie View Post
    I've lived all over Norfolk, one spot in Chesapeake, and now back in Virginia Beach. I've been here for 9 years now. A lot of people say Norfolk is too "ghetto" for them. I loved living in Norfolk. I've stayed in a number of different apartments. I think I have a complex about needing to move often. lol
    We just really want a two car garage. I dont want to get broken into... Why is there so much crime there? Ill mostly be there by myself and I am pregnant.. so Idk what to do
  8. Robin :)
    Robin :)
    We just got orders! WE'LL BE THERE IN APRIL!
    We Survived Deployment #1 July 2011-Feburary 2012
    We Survived Deployment #2 July 2013-April 2014

I'm the Pink in a household full of Blue
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Love733 View Post
    That makes me nervous. Are there no garages? I dont think ive seen a place with a garage in all of Virginia unless you are paying 3,000 a month. I want to live in government housing and have the navy move us because this was so last minute i dont think we will have the money for a deposit...
    no parking here but in two other complexes by the same company just on the other side of base do. When you sign up for housing with Lincoln you get to pick what community. I do know they don't have any garages for 2 bedrooms. If they offer you portsmouth- run screaming Its NOT a good area and the commissary sucks. Basically if you keep your car clean you will be fine. I've been here for 3 years and never had any problem- and my husbands car had a missing window for like 6 months of that. Plus the areas where they get broken into are the visitor lot. Most of the parking is right in front of your townhouse so you can still see your vehicle- if not its just down a short sidewalk. The areas around the homes and main parking areas are well lit.

In my honest opinion-I would say your expectations may be a little high, but you might be able to find what your looking for. I'm certainly not an expert. If you look on their website http://www.lincolnmilitary.com/lmh/ you can look at all the floor plans for the bedroom number you are allowed to see if you can find anything that fits what you are looking for.
  10. Senior Member
    no parking here but in two other complexes by the same company just on the other side of base do. When you sign up for housing with Lincoln you get to pick what community. I do know they don't have any garages for 2 bedrooms. If they offer you portsmouth- run screaming Its NOT a good area and the commissary sucks. Basically if you keep your car clean you will be fine. I've been here for 3 years and never had any problem- and my husbands car had a missing window for like 6 months of that. Plus the areas where they get broken into are the visitor lot. Most of the parking is right in front of your townhouse so you can still see your vehicle- if not its just down a short sidewalk. The areas around the homes and main parking areas are well lit.

In my honest opinion-I would say your expectations may be a little high. Also if you don't want your car broken into- then don't leave valuables in it.
    I never leave valuables in my cars. Wt just bought two band new cars though, and we would want them to be covered. Thats understandable right? My expectations are not high, I just think its scary that you have to have a patrol when you are right outside base..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast