Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Meade: Where to reside?

1. Senior Member

Hello Fort Meade: Where to reside?

Advertisements
    For those of you ladies who are stationed at Fort Meade where do you think are the nicer places to stay that are closer to base (within 15-20 min is good) ? I was partly raised in NOVA and have only visited BWI and Upper Marlboro a few times so I'm not too familiar with Maryland. I'm also not too sure on where DH and I should stay so the closest to base, the better.

I'm thinking:Odenton and Severn so far. I hear both Odenton can be pricey but has it's good and bad areas. I really don't wish to live on base as of now. Feel free to add to the list. We are young (25 and 26th) with no children any time soon so getting in an area that is close to a METRO station to get to NOVA/DC is much appreciated. If not, that's fine to as we could always drive to the nearest one, park the car and take the metro.

My family is scattered in both MD, NOVA and VA Beach but neither live near Fort Meade. On the weekends I wish to take DH to DC for weekend rendezvous so any help is greatly appreciated. This boy has NO idea what fun he's going to have in the DMV. I'm so flippin' excited! TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    Anyone...anyone at all lol.
  3. Senior Member
    The nearest metro is down south at New Carrollton. When we were at Meade, we never rode the metro. When we were in NoVa, we rode it all the time.

We lived on post and it was a jillion years ago. I know Odenton and Severn have both changed a lot since we were there. Have you tried looking out toward Glen Burnie toward Annapolis? Columbia is also nice, but pricey.
  4. Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    Were thinking Odenton and Severn too. Maybe Piney Orchard. Going to try somewhere in Howard County for schools. But compared to here anything is better
  5. Senior Member
    All the areas people have stated are good places. Howard Co over all is a really good place to live.
    It took longer than we thought. Now 2 IUI's, 3 IVF's, 1 FET .
    One day at a time, one step at a time, and one day we will get there.
    DS Feb 2013 and Adopted DS Aug 2012
  6. Senior Member
    I lived in Columbia, MD and I loved it. I would've never moved, but circumstances had me moving back near the fam.
  7. Senior Member
    My cousin works at NSA and he lives in Odenton. We visited and it was nice and safe feeling.
  8. Senior Member
    Thanks ladies, hubby is being offered a house in Midway Commons on Monday/Tuesday without me being there He's going to be working at the NSA which is like a 5 min walk away. I don't think it's the new model either because they mentioned having to "fix" something before he moves in. To me, that's not a good sign as it's probably going to give us a problem later down the line. I wanted DH to wait with me for 60 days for the housing in Heritage Park but he's without a vehicle atm, they are making him move out of the single's housing and everything is full so he has no choice but to stay in Midway Commons. I'm just concerned with having to live in crap housing for the next 3-4 years. Oh, well, it's free right? lol.
  9. Senior Member
    I've lived in the Ft. Meade area almost my entire life...Odenton and Severn are both really good areas - I currently live in Severn. There is one stretch of Severn to stay away from...it's known as Pioneer City. But, it is such tiny area, and you aren't even allowed to live there if military, so. Piney Orchard is also a really good area. I student taught at Piney Orchard Elementary and it is a really good school. I wouldn't suggest living in Glen Burnie...it has nice areas and really bad areas, and without having lived here, it's hard to pick the good areas over the bad. When we first moved to the area - my parents' and I a very long time ago ....we moved to a really bad area of Glen Burnie. It's just hard to tell.

If you have any questions, or if you need any help with anything, feel free to send me a message!

Howard County is a super nice area, but it tends to get pretty expensive.
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  10. Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    Quote Originally Posted by ChandyPandy View Post
    I've lived in the Ft. Meade area almost my entire life...Odenton and Severn are both really good areas - I currently live in Severn. There is one stretch of Severn to stay away from...it's known as Pioneer City. But, it is such tiny area, and you aren't even allowed to live there if military, so. Piney Orchard is also a really good area. I student taught at Piney Orchard Elementary and it is a really good school. I wouldn't suggest living in Glen Burnie...it has nice areas and really bad areas, and without having lived here, it's hard to pick the good areas over the bad. When we first moved to the area - my parents' and I a very long time ago ....we moved to a really bad area of Glen Burnie. It's just hard to tell.

If you have any questions, or if you need any help with anything, feel free to send me a message!

Howard County is a super nice area, but it tends to get pretty expensive.
    Thats great info!! And we will have to meet up when I get there!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast