Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fredericksburg, VA Questions

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Hello Fredericksburg, VA Questions

Advertisements
    Good evening ladies,
    We are moving to Quantico in November and are looking to possibly rent a house/townhouse in Fredericksburg. We have a school aged child (elementary school) so I'm concerned with areas and schools and their safety. Are there any subdivisions we should steer clear of? Also, if I may ask, what is your average electricity bill like in the summer and winter months? What size is your home (since this greatly varies on size)? We have always lived on base so I'm trying to get an idea of utilities and such when renting in that area.

Thanks so much! Look forward to "meeting" a few ladies from the area!
  2. Senior Member
    I live in Stafford, which is a bit closer to Quantico. The houses are cheaper in Fdburg but just those extra 7 miles can take 45 minutes extra at least in traffic so please count that in. Electricity bill; we have a single house and it is 4500squarefeet (3500+1000 basement) and we have between $200-350. We have a more wood like yard so in the summer the trees help to not get it too warm and in the winter we use a pellet stove too so I think we are in the low range with the electricity bill. Our other house it a townhouse, that we are renting out, and that is only 1500 squarefeet and I think electricity was around $100, maybe a little less.
    Stafford have really good schools, dont know that much about Fdburg. You will love it here! There is a fun meetup group, stafford military friends, and if your husband is an officer there are 2 officer wives clubs on base. There are ton of things to do and even though it makes the traffic HORRIBLE I love being close to DC.
  3. Senior Member
    Oh, in the meetup group that are many woman living in Fdburg that can help you.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by miamoa2002 View Post
    I live in Stafford, which is a bit closer to Quantico. The houses are cheaper in Fdburg but just those extra 7 miles can take 45 minutes extra at least in traffic so please count that in. Electricity bill; we have a single house and it is 4500squarefeet (3500+1000 basement) and we have between $200-350. We have a more wood like yard so in the summer the trees help to not get it too warm and in the winter we use a pellet stove too so I think we are in the low range with the electricity bill. Our other house it a townhouse, that we are renting out, and that is only 1500 squarefeet and I think electricity was around $100, maybe a little less.
    Stafford have really good schools, dont know that much about Fdburg. You will love it here! There is a fun meetup group, stafford military friends, and if your husband is an officer there are 2 officer wives clubs on base. There are ton of things to do and even though it makes the traffic HORRIBLE I love being close to DC.
    Woodbridge is close to Quantico too (I live in Woodbridge about 5 miles from Quantico). Our house is a bit smaller and we pay anywhere from $150-$225 for electric, but we have all electric and no gas. Schools are great as weel. I don't have much info on Fburg, but thought I'd throw another city out there.

Miamoa, that meetup group, is it any military spouse or just marines or just officers? I'm interested in it... PM details if you need.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks ladies! So Woodbridge is a nice area? I've been scared off a little with people telling me there are towns to stay away from no matter what. I believe Triangles and Dumfries were two of them? What towns would you recommend? Again, we have a school aged child so it's extremely important for it to be a nice town and with good schools. Thanks so much for your info ladies!

MiaMoa- Thanks for the heads up on the military friends group! I'll have to keep that in mind if we move to Stafford. But no, my hubby is not an officer.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MML100 View Post
    Thanks ladies! So Woodbridge is a nice area? I've been scared off a little with people telling me there are towns to stay away from no matter what. I believe Triangles and Dumfries were two of them? What towns would you recommend? Again, we have a school aged child so it's extremely important for it to be a nice town and with good schools. Thanks so much for your info ladies!

MiaMoa- Thanks for the heads up on the military friends group! I'll have to keep that in mind if we move to Stafford. But no, my hubby is not an officer.
    I don't like Woodbridge, there are some really not so nice neighborhoods there. But there are some nice too, you just need to know where to look. It is a bit more expensive in Woodbridge. A rough estimate is that a house increases 10K for every mile closer to DC. Might be a little less now after the house prices fell. If your husband doesn't mind the commute, Fredericksburg is REALLY nice. For us it was just too far (not milewise, traffic wise) so Stafford was a nice compromise. BUT stafford is mainly to live in, it is not a city. Yes, we have malls, restaurants etc but it doesnt have like a down town etc. Yes, stay away from Dumfries and Triangle, but 619 is nice to live on. Montclair is also nice.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Woodbridge being bad is such a rumor. There is one small area that is questionable, but its on the northern end almost in lorton. Woodbridge has no crime rate (or if there is one I know nothing about it). The reputation Woodbridge has come about because one person had a bad experience or they went through one area and felt uncomfortable. Woodbridge (or rather prince william county) is the second largest county in the state and the 3rd highest county for schools.

We've been here in Woodbridge for 4 years and haven't ever had a problem, I even allow my kids to run off and play with their friends around the neighborhood. Not worried about crime or anything.

The things you hear about Woodbridge, I've heard about Stafford, Fredricksburg, Manssas, and Manassas Park, so they are all the same. Montclair is expensive. Homes in Woodbridge are the same as in Stafford.

Just about any city or area you pick will be good. Its a matter of how close to DC you want to be, and what malls/activities you want to be close to. The further south you go, the less 'things' you will have access to that aren't 50+ miles away.