Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: verbals to Norfolk

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

verbals to Norfolk

Advertisements
    we got verbals to Norfolk, hubby is to be on the USS Mesa Verde. Im trying to get some knowledge of that area..Im really confused by the tunnels and everything.

Does anybody know if the Mesa Verde is docked at so I can kind of base my house searches from that? This is our first Navy base with ships so its all new to us!
  2. Senior Member
    I'm not the most helpful with the housing as DB and I don't live on base. But we are stationed in Norfolk and live in Virginia Beach. My advice would be to check with the housing websites and they should provide you with the best info and how to get on a waitlist and everything. Early welcome to the area though!

NotThatMonkey is my awesome Wifey
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorsBunny View Post
    I'm not the most helpful with the housing as DB and I don't live on base. But we are stationed in Norfolk and live in Virginia Beach. My advice would be to check with the housing websites and they should provide you with the best info and how to get on a waitlist and everything. Early welcome to the area though!
    oh were not planning to live on base. just trying to base my search off of where DH would be going to work everyday
  4. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Once he has actual orders he will be assigned a sponser from that command. They will be able to fill you both in on all the goods.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Are his verbals to Naval Station Norfolk? Do you know which of the bases he will be assigned to? Here's the website for the Mesa Verde: Welcome to Navy Forces Online Public Sites On the website, it says "Homeport: LPD 19 is a Norfolk, VA based ship."

My husband's ship is based out of NS Norfolk and we also live over in Virginia Beach. It's only a 20 to 30 min commute to our part of VA Beach, so it's not bad at all. He was commuting 45 min to and from work back in Colorado. The area seems really nice so far (we've only been here for a couple weeks)!
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

6. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    My biggest advice if you're getting stationed in Norfolk... is not to live IN Norfolk. My DH is stationed in Va beach... but I can guarantee you we wouldn't ever live in Norfolk city limits...I'd rather live in Newport News, or Suffolk and him drive an hour to work everyday than live inside of Norfolk.

But, I'm sure the ship is stationed as NS Norfolk... sooo... just look at apartments around there?
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    It just says Norfolk. So either way after doing some research and talking to some other ladies that I know, I'm pretty sure we've decided to focus our housing searches to VA Beach and Chesapeake. VB being #1 place to look.
    We'll be coming with a 8month old son, 2 german shepherds and 2 cats so apartments are out of the question.
  8. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    My biggest advice if you're getting stationed in Norfolk... is not to live IN Norfolk. My DH is stationed in Va beach... but I can guarantee you we wouldn't ever live in Norfolk city limits...I'd rather live in Newport News, or Suffolk and him drive an hour to work everyday than live inside of Norfolk.

But, I'm sure the ship is stationed as NS Norfolk... sooo... just look at apartments around there?
    And what is wrong with Norfolk?
    I lived there for 6 years. I've been living in Chesapeake for a while and moving back to Norfolk when I get home. I don't like most places in Va Bch because you always hear the jets so loud you can't hear yourself think. And Newport News???? aka Bad News? Really?

9. Senior Member
    Definitely check out Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Norfolk. Like LadyHawk said, there are a lot of airplanes flying over VA Beach. I don't know when that started but it's horrible. I swear to goodness, one flew over every 2 or 3 minutes starting at 7am to about 1am.

If possible find a location so he won't have to ride through the tunnels to get to work.
    camandcmh, Love_my_airmanNP, and 867-5309 are my Sister Wives
  10. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyHawk View Post
    And what is wrong with Norfolk?
    I lived there for 6 years. I've been living in Chesapeake for a while and moving back to Norfolk when I get home. I don't like most places in Va Bch because you always hear the jets so loud you can't hear yourself think. And Newport News???? aka Bad News? Really?
    I guess it's just a preference. I don't feel comfortable in Norfolk at all I can handle jet noise... I've lived my entire life at the back gate of NAS Pensacola (no military affiliation, this is just where I live) so the jets don't really bother me.

And yes, I loove Newport News. More of the Northern part, towards Langley or Williamsburg.. but I love it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast